Re: Great globs of glue

  • jud1929
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 18 5:57 PM
      Thank you very much for responding to my question.

      I really liked your suggestion to glue 2 pieces together to simulate a
      joint and break them. It was also a tactful way of getting at the
      issue with other participants.

      Thanks again.

      Jud
    • Elliot Mednick
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 4, 2008
        Sorry for the mass email, but a person named Greg Paris has sent me two
        emails asking for GA Boat advice, but his email address is invalid. Greg, I
        don't even see you on the Airolite member list. If you are reading this,
        please send me an alternate email address.

        Meanwhile, summer is over and there hasn't been much activity on this list.
        Did anyone use your GA boat this summer? I paddled my Arrow 14 around
        Rockland Harbor, Maine for a few days in August. I'm still working on
        finding the right placement for my feet, but otherwise the Arrow 14 rocks
        (literally, too -- it can get wobbly).

        I haven't been able to work on my Classic 14, but I expect to this fall.

        --Elliot
      • Joel Fairstein
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 5, 2008
          Elliot:

          No help here regarding Greg, sorry.

          I've been out fishing in my Classic 10 two or three times a week all summer long and have yet to breach the Dacron.

          I wonder if anyone has had a major tear in the skin? (I've kept my fingers crossed and some sheet-size duct tape handy.)

          Joel

          On Oct 4, 2008, at 10:43 PM, Elliot Mednick wrote:

          Sorry for the mass email, but a person named Greg Paris has sent me two
          emails asking for GA Boat advice, but his email address is invalid. Greg, I
          don't even see you on the Airolite member list. If you are reading this,
          please send me an alternate email address.

          Meanwhile, summer is over and there hasn't been much activity on this list.
          Did anyone use your GA boat this summer? I paddled my Arrow 14 around
          Rockland Harbor, Maine for a few days in August. I'm still working on
          finding the right placement for my feet, but otherwise the Arrow 14 rocks
          (literally, too -- it can get wobbly).

          I haven't been able to work on my Classic 14, but I expect to this fall.

          --Elliot

        • noneof yourbusiness
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 5, 2008

            Sorry for the mass email, but a person named Greg Paris has sent me two
            emails asking for GA Boat advice, but his email address is invalid. Greg, I
            don't even see you on the Airolite member list. If you are reading this,
            please send me an alternate email address.

            Meanwhile, summer is over and there hasn't been much activity on this list.
            Did anyone use your GA boat this summer? I paddled my Arrow 14 around
            Rockland Harbor, Maine for a few days in August. I'm still working on
            finding the right placement for my feet, but otherwise the Arrow 14 rocks
            (literally, too -- it can get wobbly).

            I haven't been able to work on my Classic 14, but I expect to this fall.

            --Elliot

          • Beau & Chris Schless
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 5, 2008
              BTW...Built a "trolling" rig on my 10...a "donut" made of mahogany epoxied to the middle floorboard right at the transom,  then 2 brass screws on the middle top of the transom around 1" apart.  Place your fly rod in the donut, then 2 rubber bands around the rod at the 2 screws.  Voila!  Caught my first striper of the season that way!

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 6, 2008
                > I wonder if anyone has had a major tear in the skin? (I've kept my
                > fingers crossed and some sheet-size duct tape handy.)

                I have. I was paddling my GA kayak (not a Monfort design) through a
                shallow river offshoot that had seen severe flooding over the summer.
                I was levering myself over a submerged log when a stub from where a
                branch was previously attached stabbed through and left me with a 6
                inch gash in the dacron.

                The Gorilla tape I slapped on it (after a toweling off) carried me the
                couple miles back to my car without incident.
              • rueffingkidding
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 7, 2008
                  Unfotunate. Glad you made it back to your ride without further
                  incident. Were you able to make a permanent repair later? Could you
                  give us more "forensic" information (such as: One Dacron layer or
                  two? What was the sealing agent [latex paint, polyurethane varnish,
                  something else]? Stringer and cross-member spacing? Did you
                  triangulate with the recommended Kevlar roving?) This could help us
                  understand the effect of variations, as well as the weaknesses of the
                  original concept and designs... Thanks.

                  -Roland

                  --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, "james_kingston"
                  <james.kingston@...> wrote:

                  > > I wonder if anyone has had a major tear in the skin? (I've kept my
                  > > fingers crossed and some sheet-size duct tape handy.)
                  >
                  > I have. I was paddling my GA kayak (not a Monfort design) through a
                  > shallow river offshoot that had seen severe flooding over the summer.
                  > I was levering myself over a submerged log when a stub from where a
                  > branch was previously attached stabbed through and left me with a 6
                  > inch gash in the dacron.
                  >
                  > The Gorilla tape I slapped on it (after a toweling off) carried me the
                  > couple miles back to my car without incident.

                • James Kingston
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 8, 2008
                    Like I said, this is a non-Monfort design. It was done in a class at
                    my local Community College. It was one layer of Dacron (the heaviest
                    available, apparently), with no roving. The rip ran from where it
                    stabbed through until it hit the plywood station, about 6 inches.

                    I used one coat of clear Poly-Brush to fill the fibers, then several
                    layers of water-based exterior spar urethane (Varathane 2501?).
                    Stringers spread about 6 inches, plywood stations about 24.

                    For a permanent repair, I used a sheet of Heat-N-Bond, and a few more
                    coats of Varathane. This has held up pretty well, though it is helped
                    by the fact that I left the gorilla tape on the inside in place.
                    Since this is where my feet rest, I didn't want to put extra stress on
                    the heat-n-bond.

                    James

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 8, 2008
                      I stuck a nice wide screwdriver through my Classic 10' a week before launch time.  I took some scrap dacron and glued it over the hole with SuperGlue.  I was so darn mad with myself I hit it with a coat of spray clear polyeutethane and aid top heck with it.  That was six months ago.  In the meantime I've had it out in turbulent waves on the ocean (well, not too turbulent!) and fished til the stripers left, and nary a drop through the hole.  The boats will tend to leak a bit anyway; this coating isn't an exact science.  But I wouldn't worry about it.  Just patch it up and use it, and, as my buddy says "quit yer complainin'!".

                      Beau Schless
                      President/CEO
                      NOTEbookS Library Automation Systems
                      Celebrating 15 years exceeding customers' expectations
                      HTTP://WWW.RASCO.COM
                      PH: 1.(978) 443-2996

                      "James Kingston" <james.kingston@...>
                      Sent by: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

                      10/08/2008 06:16 PM

                      Please respond to
                      Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

                      Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
                      cc
                      Subject
                      Re: [Airolite_Boats] Re: Looking for Greg Paris; happy autumn

                      <