RE: [Airolite_Boats] Floatation?

  • Roland Deschain
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 15 3:09 AM
      NTM the convenience factor of being able to easily remove and reinstall the bags at will for cleaning, maintenance, cargo, etc. Now maybe there is a way to shape and install the styrofoam that will as readily allow these tasks, but I'm having difficulty visualizing it...

      -Roland

      --- On Mon, 4/14/08, Elliot Mednick <elliot@...> wrote:

      > In the plans for the Classic, it mentions optional
      > floatation under the
      > seats.
      >

      > The bags are more expensive than Styrofoam, but arguably
      > will look better.
      >

      > --Elliot

      Be a better friend, newshound, and
    • Elliot Mednick
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 15 3:52 AM

        Hi Paul,

        Thanks for the compliment.

        For the longitudinal members, I used a 2x8x16’ construction stock board from Home Depot.  I picked a clean board.  I needed to scarf only one stringer.  The rest I was able to get clean cuts with no knots.

        For the ribs, I found non-kiln-dried white ash (green white ash?) from a local hardwood supplier.  It was rough cut, and they were about to send it to get treated.  (If you’re in the New England area, Brentwood, NH, is a hotbed of mills and hard-to-find wood.)

        For the floor boards, cedar from a local hardwood supplier that I had to rip widthwise to get the right thickness.

        For the keel, oak.  One thin strip from a much larger board.

        I did not use any plywood.  I cut the stem and thwart supports from the construction stock.  I have since found a supplier of marine-grade plywood.

        I used the Styrofoam box method for the rib steaming.

        I used the now-discontinued Sears 8” combination blade for all cutting.  I am still questing for an inexpensive but worthy replacement.

        I added a second covering of Dacron to the very bottom, and brushed the Dacron with Varnish, adding another two coats a couple of years after I build it.  (I build it in 2003.)

        As you can see from the photos, I paddle it in protected and semi-protected waters off the coast of Maine.  So far, so great.  It can be a little wobbly, but it won’t capsize.  I use the longest paddles I could find (250cm?).

        I’m now working on a Classic 14.

        Have fun building the Arrow!

        --Elliot

        Salem, NH.

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 15 4:43 AM

          Where did you purchase the bags?  And how do you hold them in (if the boat were to turtle wouldn't they come out?)

          Beau Schless
          President/CEO
          NOTEbookS Library Automation Systems
          Celebrating 15 years exceeding customers' expectations
          HTTP://WWW.RASCO.COM
          PH: 1.(978) 443-2996
        • Paul
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 15 12:12 PM

            Thanks Elliot.

            You must have stained the stringers then?

            The hardest item for me to find is the green white ash. I called a few mills to avail. I live in Winnipeg , Manitoba .

            Hopefully I'm not being too ambitious, but I plan to build it during class hours with some grade 9 students over a 5 week period. Everything is a learning experience.

            Thanks for the information, I'm really looking forward to paddling this boat.

            Paul

            Nice looking boat Elliot. I'm just about to embark on building my first boat… Arrow 14 also. (been sitting on the plans for a year now)

            What types of wood did you use for your build?

            Cheers, P aul

            Checked by AVG.

            Checked by AVG.

          • Elliot Mednick
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 15 12:24 PM

              You must have stained the stringers then?

              Elliot:   Yes. That is, I used an oil-based varnish that was some specific color that I liked.

              The hardest item for me to find is the green white ash. I called a few mills to avail. I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

               Elliot: Yeah, I had to make a bunch of calls, and then I got lucky with the timing.  Platt gives some alternatives, including laminating thinner oak strips.  That seems hard to me.

              Hopefully I'm not being too ambitious, but I plan to build it during class hours with some grade 9 students over a 5 week period. Everything is a learning experience.

               The Arrow is a pretty simple boat compared to many of the others.  I think you have a good shot at finishing it.  The students will get a great lesson out of it.  Good luck!

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 15 2:48 PM

                I wouldn't get hung up on the green white ash.  I used dried ash and it was fine.  Don't forget the idea of using microwave heated wet towels and bubble wrap for the bending.  It's much less messy than the steam unit I initially set up, and much easier to fabricate.  You just wrap 2 or 3 ribs in the heated towels (you can just boil them in water, as well) wrap them up with bubble wrap, and voila!

                Too bad..I was in Winnipeg last week on business.  Would have stopped in to check progress!

                Beau Schless
                President/CEO
                NOTEbookS Library Automation Systems
                Celebrating 15 years exceeding customers' expectations
                HTTP://WWW.RASCO.COM
                PH: 1.(978) 443-2996

                "Elliot Mednick" <elliot@...>
                Sent by: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

                04/15/2008 03:33 PM

                Please respond to
                Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

                <Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com>
                cc
                Subject
                RE: [Airolite_Boats] Arrow 14 [was: Floatation?]

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 16 6:14 AM

                  I hadn't heard of that method. Is it on Platt's website? I'll do some experimenting.

                  If you visited last week there wouldn't be much to see, but when visiting in the future feel free to give me a 'heads up' before hand.

                  "Elliot Mednick" <elliot@mednick. name>

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 16 7:48 AM

                    I bought one of mine in Newburyport, at a canoe and kayak store.  I bought the other at a conoe/kayak store in Wiscassett, ME, right on Rt 1.

                    As you might be able to see from the photos I uploaded the other day, I lashed them in with nylon boat rope.  They aren’t going anywhere.

                    Of course, should the boat ever actually capsize, I don’t think there is any way to get back into the boat from the water.  But, at least nothing would sink, except one’s pride.

                    Where did you purchase the bags?  And how do you hold them in (if the boat were to turtle wouldn't they come out?)