Heat n Bond Tape Issues

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 9, 2008

      I had problems with the Heat n Bond when I first started.  If I heated it every 3 inches it wouldn't separate from the roll. The only way I could figure out how to separate it from the cover was to heated it the full length, with the result that when I went to use it it wasn't effective.  You really need to just spot heat it every 3" like they instruct you to, and work at separating it.  I ended up building an extra (outwale) to sandwich the kevlar and dacron, epoxied and screwed it down and "that stuff sure ain't going anywhere now!"  My method works, but it added needless weight to the boat. When in doubt, follow the instructions!

      Beau Schless
      President/CEO
      NOTEbookS Library Automation Systems
      Celebrating 15 years exceeding customers' expectations
      HTTP://WWW.RASCO.COM
      PH: 1.(978) 443-2996

      AUGUST HAHN <augusthahn@...>
      Sent by: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

      02/08/2008 06:01 PM

      Please respond to
      Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

      Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
      cc
      Subject
      Re: [Airolite_Boats] Kevlar adhesive question & List searchable archive?

      A lot of people are but off on the application of dacron and of heat srinking the fabric.any suggestions to ally their fears.

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 9, 2008
        Thank you for the links and for the comments. My questions were answered just as I had hoped.
        This sure is a great group here with all the helpful advice and answers for a newbie like me.

        Jeff in MA.

        On Feb 8, 2008 4:41 PM, Elliot Mednick <elliot@...> wrote:

        Probably a lot of people will jump in here.

        The first question: yes, the adhesion of the heat'n'bond is sufficient to hold the tension of the Kevlar.  There really isn't that much tension, actually.  The shrinking of the Dacron actually pulls the frame together a little, resulting in some slack in the Kevlar.  So you then go back and re-tighten the Kevlar.  That's why you DON'T trim the Kevlar until after you shrink the Dacron.  The tension is distributed across all the strands and the Dacron.

        It all just works. J

        --Elliot