Re: [Airolite_Boats] Re: contact with GA Boats

  • Bassman4940
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 11, 2013
      Greetings Robert,
      You should be able to order plans and kits from here, but Platt sadly passed away a few years back, but I believe his wife is still carrying on with the business.  I would try emailing, or snail-mailing the address below if you haven't already done so.
      Good luck in whatever you decide to build!
      Rick

      Aladdin Products, Inc. d/b/a
      Monfort Associates
      50 Haskell Road
      Westport, Maine 04578

      Phone: 207 882-5504
      e-mail:
      bettemonfort@...

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 12, 2013
        Hi, Carl. I just did a successful test to Bette's email address from here (US). There could have been a temporary outage, or possibly an issue related to time zone differences. Or possibly you were badly refracted in the PRISM (sorry :-) I suggest you try it again.

        -Roland

        --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, "carlsparwer" <carlsparwer@...> wrote:

        > Hello Everybody,
        > From the Netherlands I have tried to send an e-mail requesting information about possible shipment of plans and kits to The Netherlands.
        > However I tried many times, the e-mail from GA Boats bettemonfort@... doesn't seem to work. I keep getting replies from the postmaster saying the message was undeliverable.
        > Does anyone know how to get in touch with GA Boats, other than by phone?
        >
        > I became very enthusiastic about building a blivit 13. I am particurly curious about the sailing capacity of this dinghy (or would the Classic 12" be better?) and would be very happy if you could share your experiences with me.
        >
        > Thanks for any info!
        >
        > Regards from Holland,
        > Carl Sparwer

      • Lawrence H Pinto
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 20, 2013
          Hi Everyone,

          I'm up in Northern Ontario where there are a lot of twigs that have punctured my dacron skin hull too many times to laugh about.

          (In fact, the bugs are likely to puncture it this week, too; we're at the peak of their season as well.)

          I've got 10 yards of "ballistic nylon' that I'd like to apply over the dacron hull but I am not sure what is the best way to do it. I don't want to remove the dacron.

          Would you recommend:

          1. Glue such as construction glue?

          2. A second use of "Heat n' Bond' between the dacron and the ballistic nylon?

          3. Staples from a rustproof material like stainless or bronze?

          4. Tacks, again rustproof?

          5. Something else.

          Thank you,

          Larry
          PS I'm in Montreal River Harbour, which is between Sault Sainte Marie and Wawa, and is 100 km from any reasonable size store. It would be great to get it right the first time to save trips.
        • Caruk, Gord
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 20, 2013

            Hi Larry.

            When I used 2 layers, I simply mounted the 2nd skin the same as mounting the 1st one; the same Heat’n’Bond attach points (along the gunwales (I also use a strip of it along the keel)) same overlapped seams at the bow and stern, and unaggressively shrink the skin (so as not to pucker the 1st layer). I use oil based Varathane to waterproof the skin. Saturating the skin well will cause the varathane to contact well with both layers and will sort of fuse the two together (although I’m sure they could be separated if it was tried). I’ve had no issues with these two layers, and the durability of the skin is MUCH stronger than just the one layer of Dacron. I used two Dacron layers because Dacron holds its shape well, whereas my experience with ballistic nylon was that it slackened off and slightly puckered in humid conditions (including in the water being paddled in L). That was likely because the varathane ‘breaths’. Good for wood. Not so good in this case. Other waterproofing coatings might work better.

            There are other threads in this forum that talk about heavier Dacron fabrics (eg. 9 oz available from George Dyson rather than the 2.7 oz available from gaboats). My next boat will be skinned with that stuff.

            I hope that helps Larry, and all the best from one Canadian to another.

            Gord

          • Beau & Chris Schless

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 8, 2013
                Hi Everyone,

                Thanks a million, especially to Gord, for the advice on putting on the second hull. It's now on. We applied it on a hot day and as it heated up in the sun it shrunk marvelously without a trace of a wrinkle. Then it got cool at night and it wrinkled up again!

                It's cool (20C) today and it's all wrinkled. The wrinkles aren't bad but it's not pretty and, although I don't paddle for speed, they won't help.

                Does anyone have a suggestion about this? We wound up applying the ballistic nylon over the dacron using a combination of stainless steel staples and Loctite PL (Canada: Lepage PL) construction adhesive, a urethane adhesive for the urethane coated side of the fabric. The wind blew the boat off the saw horses while it was drying after varnishing and it hit something sharp, but that didn't do a single thing to it, so at least it's more rugged.

                I'd appreciate advice on this.

                Hope that everyone's having a good summer. We have the worst mosquitoes here that anyone can remember but at least the black flies aren't too bad any more.

                Best regards,

                Larry