Re: Airolite_Boats Group & spam

  • jm_silverman
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 22, 2007
      Great suggestings. The list has stayed pretty clean over the last
      year. I went back and found a handful of spam messages. I will see
      what I can do to keep it clean

      On the second topic of moderators, is anyone interested in co-
      moderating with me? It takes no time or effort really. I have not
      done a thing with the list over the last 10 months except read posts.

      Please let me know if interested in sharing the "work"

      Thanks

      Joel

      --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, Scott Perkins <2scott@...>
      wrote:

      > as the owner of a dozen yahoo groups I can suggest changing the
      > management
      > settings to moderate new members only.
      > As an alternative, dont do any moderation at all but require new
      > members to request permission to join with a statement as to why
      > they want to. This keeps out the computer spam robots.
      > I also suggest heavily that you appoint several additional
      > co moderators for when you might lose your interest or your
      connection.
      > Scott
      >
      > jm_silverman wrote:
      > >
      > > Roland,
      > >
      > > That is a very good question. I am not sure how to keep the spam
      from
      > > showing up. I started this group with the intention of keeping
      it open
      > > to the public without registration restrictions but if it makes
      sense
      > > to lock down the list to approve any newcomers, then I am open to
      it.

      > > Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts about keeping our group
      clean
      > > of spam?
      > >
      > > Joel
      > > Minneapolis, MN
      > > Moderator
      > > --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, "rueffingkidding"
      > > <rueffingkidding@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Now, I'm not saying that this group gets an objectionable
      amount of
      > > > spam. However, it seems to get maybe two or three such
      messages per
      > > > week, and I belong to a couple of other groups with higher
      message
      > > > volume that do not seem to get any. So, is that sheer luck, or
      some
      > > > trick that could be utilized here? Anyone know?
      > > >
      > > > -Roland
      > > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Roland Deschain
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 22, 2007
        I wouldn't recommend a radical change unless the spam
        becomes more rampant. It isn't really very bad at
        this point, it was mostly curiosity about the
        difference across what seem to be similar technical
        interest groups with similar policies that drove the
        question.

        -Roland

        http://mail.yahoo.com