Airolite_Boats Group & spam

  • rueffingkidding
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 10, 2007
      Now, I'm not saying that this group gets an objectionable amount of
      spam. However, it seems to get maybe two or three such messages per
      week, and I belong to a couple of other groups with higher message
      volume that do not seem to get any. So, is that sheer luck, or some
      trick that could be utilized here? Anyone know?

      -Roland
    • jm_silverman
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 22, 2007
        Roland,

        That is a very good question. I am not sure how to keep the spam from
        showing up. I started this group with the intention of keeping it open
        to the public without registration restrictions but if it makes sense
        to lock down the list to approve any newcomers, then I am open to it.

        Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts about keeping our group clean
        of spam?

        Joel
        Minneapolis, MN
        Moderator
        --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, "rueffingkidding"
        <rueffingkidding@...> wrote:

        > Now, I'm not saying that this group gets an objectionable amount of
        > spam. However, it seems to get maybe two or three such messages per
        > week, and I belong to a couple of other groups with higher message
        > volume that do not seem to get any. So, is that sheer luck, or some
        > trick that could be utilized here? Anyone know?
        >
        > -Roland

      • Scott Perkins
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 22, 2007
          as the owner of a dozen yahoo groups I can suggest changing the
          management
          settings to moderate new members only.
          As an alternative, dont do any moderation at all but require new
          members to request permission to join with a statement as to why
          they want to. This keeps out the computer spam robots.
          I also suggest heavily that you appoint several additional
          co moderators for when you might lose your interest or your connection.
          Scott

          jm_silverman wrote:

          > Roland,
          >
          > That is a very good question. I am not sure how to keep the spam from
          > showing up. I started this group with the intention of keeping it open
          > to the public without registration restrictions but if it makes sense
          > to lock down the list to approve any newcomers, then I am open to it.
          >
          > Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts about keeping our group clean
          > of spam?
          >
          > Joel
          > Minneapolis, MN
          > Moderator
          > --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, "rueffingkidding"
          > <rueffingkidding@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Now, I'm not saying that this group gets an objectionable amount of
          > > spam. However, it seems to get maybe two or three such messages per
          > > week, and I belong to a couple of other groups with higher message
          > > volume that do not seem to get any. So, is that sheer luck, or some
          > > trick that could be utilized here? Anyone know?
          > >
          > > -Roland
          > >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • jm_silverman
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 22, 2007
            Great suggestings. The list has stayed pretty clean over the last
            year. I went back and found a handful of spam messages. I will see
            what I can do to keep it clean

            On the second topic of moderators, is anyone interested in co-
            moderating with me? It takes no time or effort really. I have not
            done a thing with the list over the last 10 months except read posts.

            Please let me know if interested in sharing the "work"

            Thanks

            Joel

            --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, Scott Perkins <2scott@...>
            wrote:

            > as the owner of a dozen yahoo groups I can suggest changing the
            > management
            > settings to moderate new members only.
            > As an alternative, dont do any moderation at all but require new
            > members to request permission to join with a statement as to why
            > they want to. This keeps out the computer spam robots.
            > I also suggest heavily that you appoint several additional
            > co moderators for when you might lose your interest or your
            connection.
            > Scott
            >
            > jm_silverman wrote:
            > >
            > > Roland,
            > >
            > > That is a very good question. I am not sure how to keep the spam
            from
            > > showing up. I started this group with the intention of keeping
            it open
            > > to the public without registration restrictions but if it makes
            sense
            > > to lock down the list to approve any newcomers, then I am open to
            it.

            > > Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts about keeping our group
            clean
            > > of spam?
            > >
            > > Joel
            > > Minneapolis, MN
            > > Moderator
            > > --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, "rueffingkidding"
            > > <rueffingkidding@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Now, I'm not saying that this group gets an objectionable
            amount of
            > > > spam. However, it seems to get maybe two or three such
            messages per
            > > > week, and I belong to a couple of other groups with higher
            message
            > > > volume that do not seem to get any. So, is that sheer luck, or
            some
            > > > trick that could be utilized here? Anyone know?
            > > >
            > > > -Roland
            > > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Roland Deschain
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 22, 2007
              I wouldn't recommend a radical change unless the spam
              becomes more rampant. It isn't really very bad at
              this point, it was mostly curiosity about the
              difference across what seem to be similar technical
              interest groups with similar policies that drove the
              question.

              -Roland

              http://mail.yahoo.com