Re: Messed up post, snowshoe 14 ft

  • Caruk, Gord
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 18, 2012

      Your photos showed up in the email, even though not in the web post. To answer your question, 1 strand is enough for the Snowshoe. You can use the 2 strands as they come off the roll if you like, but it is more than you need and makes for a bulkier connection. These joints need to be as flat as possible. Fanning out the Kevlar fibres makes for a much lower profile as it crosses the stringers, which makes it harder to abrade the fabric covering at that point, making the skin able to put up with more abuse. Simply lay the fabric across a pen etc (no need to comb it out) to fan the strands out achieving a low profile as the Kevlar is laid across the stringers.

      You asked about hot melt glue. Are you meaning glue gun glue? I have never used that. The joints need to be as low profile as possible. A blob of glue gun glue is not the characteristic you’re looking for. The Heat’N’Bond iron on fabric tape that Platt recommends works well. Quite a low profile, and easily tightened later by laying the iron overtop the fabric/Kevlar/glue/frame stackup. That Heat’N’Bond tape is sold in any fabric shop. It is used for hems.

      Gord

    • ryanseo
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 18, 2012
        One strand should be enough. I think it's five strand in one.
        I used hot glue gun because of the YouTube video. But I think heat n bond should be enough. Hot glue will flat out with iron but it"ll add extra steps and will get messy.. I won't use hot glue gun for my next airolite.

        --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, "larry_lough" <llough@...> wrote:

        > Tried to add photos with message, but only left large gaps between my paragraphs...will try to get this right.
        > My main reason to send a post...
        > -Question... On this canoe, am I suppose to use the kevlar string as it comes off the spool, or make extra strands? Seems to have two main strands on the spool. On some drawings it looks as like one is supposed to comb out a number of strands. A little confused about this.
        >
        > Also read where some people used hot glue for the kevlar...good/bad idea?
        > Thanks for any help with this, first time on a blog. Sincerely enjoying this whole process.
        >
        > Larry

      • larry_lough
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 19, 2012
          Ryanseo,
          Watching the Nimrod video is what helped throw me. Will follow your guys advice.
          Really enjoying the build. Adding the floor boards next, probably after thanksgiving.
          Thank you, appreciate Tahoe help.
          Larry

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 19, 2012
            I would use the heat and bond.  I've had my boat for 4-5 years and the kevlar roving has stayed in place just fine.
            Beau Schless
            NOTEbookS Library Automation
            TEL: 978. 443.2996
            CELL: 978.501.0574