Building SnowShoe 14

  • ryanseo
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 15, 2012
      A little behind the schedule. Finished strongback and just glued stringers. Hope to finish it by end of October.

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/28315265@N06/sets/72157631779689226/
    • Bassman4940
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 15, 2012
        It's starting to take shape, and lookin' good Ryan!  Isn't it a cool feeling to know you're building something very few people would attempt?  I like your idea with using the particle board for the stations.
        Keep up the good work man!

      • ryanseo
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 16, 2012
          Thanks. Today I was able to add ribs. A few broke but most went in without too much problems. I didn't use any steamers. I just soaked them in water for 10 days.
          I will glue some more this weekend. Hope to remove her from strong back by Sunday.

          --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, Bassman4940 <bassman4940@...> wrote:

          > It's starting to take shape, and lookin' good Ryan!  Isn't it a cool feeling to know you're building something very few people would attempt?  I like your idea with using the particle board for the stations.
          > Keep up the good work man!

        • Richard Bertram
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 17, 2012
            You're on you way. Just keep taking the next step you'll have a boat.

            Richard Bertram

            Thanks. Today I was able to add ribs. A few broke but most went in without too much problems. I didn't use any steamers. I just soaked them in water for 10 days.
            I will glue some more this weekend. Hope to remove her from strong back by Sunday.

            --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, Bassman4940 <bassman4940@...> wrote:

            > It's starting to take shape, and lookin' good Ryan!  Isn't it a cool feeling to know you're building something very few people would attempt?  I like your idea with using the particle board for the stations.
            > Keep up the good work man!

          • ryanseo
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 8, 2012
              Untitled

              Project got delayed due to other urgent issues. But I am almost done. 98%.  Just need to do the final sanding and put on a final coat of varnish.   I cheated a little bit by buying precut lumbers from JO Lumber in Texas.  Since I am not very good with a table saw, they cut all the lumbers to spec and fedex to my home.  It saved my fingers and time. Last boat building project, I think I spent 20 hours driving around town searching for the right lumbers and milling.

              Boat looks amazing and rides very well.  It weights 23 lb. I rode the canoe at one night with a couple lanterns. Canoe lighted up like a lamp shade in the middle of the lake. Very pretty.

              Thanks for all the encouragements and advices.

              --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, Richard Bertram <richardbertram@...> wrote:

              > You're on you way. Just keep taking the next step you'll have a boat.
              >
              > Richard Bertram

            • Roger A. Weeks
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 8, 2012
                Very pretty - you did a nice job !  By having the lumber company precut the pieces you needed, you learned a new way to build a "kit" boat. The bottom line is that people make a decision about being a "paddler" or a "builder."