Re: [Airolite_Boats] Couple of setbacks

  • Roger L
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 24, 2012
      Sounds about right. Welcome to the world of wood. It's light, strong, cheap, and sometimes has a mind of its own. Don't expect it to be perfect. Or the boat to be perfectly straight.

      For ash and cutting it into ribs, I'd ask at a small local woodworking/cabinet shop. Most towns have some source of cabinetry wood....but sometimes it isn't obvious. Around here we buy air dried hardwood and ash at a local antique shop. The owner's husband is a woodmilling hobbyist. Your local custom woodworker will know & can direct you. I'd be surprised if he wasn't fascinated by the Airolite boat.

      Strongbacks get better with age as they settle down. Clamp or wood screw it together and expect to have to adjust, shim, and refasten it as it cures. No biggie. A cheap laser level is worth it's weight in gold for this. When buying wood at a bulk lumber store - like Home Depot - sort through for the straightest  and lightest weight planks and boards they have....less moisture means less warp yet to happen... Boards with some greyish deadwood (but no rot) in them are often real stable.
           good luck,   Roger L.