Re: [Airolite_Boats] Ribs

  • John Scott
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 27, 2012

    Transported  this Whitehall from vt to mission Texas on top of my Saturn vue being towed  behind my motor coach. 2400 miles. You should not have a problem . They are will designed boats. Enjoy you project. Scotty

  • Bassman4940
    Message 2 of 3 , Jun 27, 2012
      Greetings Wilfred,
      IMHO  Your first question... I found it necessary to pre-bend the ribs by steaming them, slight bending while still hot and supple, working from on end, until I could feel they weren't bending any longer.  (yes I did crack a few until I got the "feel" of the bending).  Then the ribs would go back into the steamer to soften up again.
        The sharper the bends the longer it took to work them.  Don't be in a hurry to get them glued and clamped, but when you get a rib ready for that final step, it may be best to do it while it's still warm and supple.  If you have enough pre-bend in them, they clamp into place nicely and remain there.    Also 4 hands are better than 2 during this phase, and applying the Dacron.

      The second question about transporting, no I don't think it will hurt the frame a bit, in fact I would use lots of thin rope and lash them tightly down, but not tight enough to distort the shape of the hull.  In fact I would probably leave the frame on the strongback with the stations still attached to ensure it holds the proper shape.  Covering it with a tarp also wouldn't be a bad idea in case you run into some heavy rain.
      Good luck, sounds like a great project to pass the time and relax up at your cottage!
      Rick