Re: lashing stringers to ribs

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 24 4:23 PM
      I'm getting the reminder/message to use sinew instead of dacron for lashing, as sinew lies much flatter under the skin. Thanks for that. Any experience with the style/knot/hitch to use in this case?

      As I was going to use the dacron for roving instead of kevlar, still the hump issue. Maybe either switch back to kevlar or slightly grove the stringers under the dacron or .....

      Steve C.
    • Hajo Smulders
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 24 4:34 PM
        I haven't build a "real" Platt boat, but I have build a few Skin on frame lashed and glued boats.
        I very much prefer lashing. I think the work is considerably more pleasant, faster and more that strong enough. It is also flat 'enough' not having to cut notches for the lashings.
        I have NEVER used kevlar roving in any boat, but as mentioned before, I haven't build an aerolite yet.
        Sinew slips mercilessly. You will have to use eskimo knots or the lashings will go over a period of time. I use the knots described in the greenland kayak book: http://bit.ly/I7GVme

        Hajo
        --
        "I'm the Salieri of the chess world, I'm talented enough to admire and also to know what I will not achieve. It's better to be ordinary and not know." (Ognjen Amidzic)

        On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 7:23 PM, Steve <asloth@...> wrote:

        I'm getting the reminder/message to use sinew instead of dacron for lashing, as sinew lies much flatter under the skin. Thanks for that. Any experience with the style/knot/hitch to use in this case?

        As I was going to use the dacron for roving instead of kevlar, still the hump issue. Maybe either switch back to kevlar or slightly grove the stringers under the dacron or .....

        Steve C.

      • John Boy
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 24 4:52 PM
          Hajo that knot on the left is also known as an arbor knot and is used to attach backer to a fly reel.
          John Boy

          You can trust me, I have a degree in science...

            The 'eskimo' knot and the method for tying off are both shown in the Kudzu videos. I have built only one sof canoe but the lashing 'bump' wasn't an issue.

            Is the roving necessary? Does it actually add and strength or rigidity? I have trouble seeing how it does anything more than satisfy a theoretical need. I have seen people say they have built without the roving and noticed no difference.