Re: lashing stringers to ribs

  • kanoe22
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 24 12:39 AM
      Have a look at the videos at Kudzu Craft:
      www.kudzucraft.com

      Lashing will work just as well on a snowshoe as a kayak but there are a lot more places to lash. He can supply artificial sinew but I don't see why your dacron wouldn't do the job anyway.

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 24 6:01 AM
        I wouldn't use dacron  line.  It will create bumps which will always be there after you've reskinned it and which will be where it starts leaking as you brush those bumps against the ground.  Just get some epoxy and glue 'em back together (or Elmer's waterproof would probably work fine as well).  Then, instead of buying that expensive Dacron, go to your local fabric outlet and get some polyester suiting liner (the stuff they use to line suits with).  Re cover it with that then shrink it. If you want to really go for it, then apply one coat of 6 oz fiberglass cloth over that. Bulletproof!
        Beau Schless
        NOTEbookS Library Automation
        TEL: 978. 443.2996
        CELL: 978.501.0574
        http://www.rasco.com

        From:        "Steve" <asloth@...>
        To:        Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
        Date:        04/24/2012 07:20 AM
        Subject:        [Airolite_Boats] lashing stringers to ribs
        Sent by:        Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

        Recently I was gifted a Snowshoe 14 that was left to weather uncovered for many years. Someone had applied paint to protect the skin, but the paint was flaking off in huge sheets. So to haul it home I attempted to remove the peeling paint, but the skin came with it. So its bare now. And the kevlar roving was either broken or sagging from "creep". So its removed also.

        Now to clean it up and re-connect all the failed stringer/rib glue joints. I'm considering lashing w/ black dacron line, all those connections rather than gluing. Has anyone had experience w/ lashing like this on an Airolite skinboat? If so, how's it holding up and what knot did you use? Any other important details?

        Steve C.

      • Hajo Smulders
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 24 6:36 AM
          Use artifical sinew and lash the thing:

          Hajo
          --
          "A bee is never as busy as it seems; it's just that it can't buzz any slower." (Kin Hubbard)

          On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 1:54 AM, Steve <asloth@...> wrote:

          Recently I was gifted a Snowshoe 14 that was left to weather uncovered for many years. Someone had applied paint to protect the skin, but the paint was flaking off in huge sheets. So to haul it home I attempted to remove the peeling paint, but the skin came with it. So its bare now. And the kevlar roving was either broken or sagging from "creep". So its removed also.

          Now to clean it up and re-connect all the failed stringer/rib glue joints. I'm considering lashing w/ black dacron line, all those connections rather than gluing. Has anyone had experience w/ lashing like this on an Airolite skinboat? If so, how's it holding up and what knot did you use? Any other important details?

          Steve C.

        • Steve
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 24 4:23 PM
            I'm getting the reminder/message to use sinew instead of dacron for lashing, as sinew lies much flatter under the skin. Thanks for that. Any experience with the style/knot/hitch to use in this case?

            As I was going to use the dacron for roving instead of kevlar, still the hump issue. Maybe either switch back to kevlar or slightly grove the stringers under the dacron or .....

            Steve C.
          • Hajo Smulders
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 24 4:34 PM
              I haven't build a "real" Platt boat, but I have build a few Skin on frame lashed and glued boats.
              I very much prefer lashing. I think the work is considerably more pleasant, faster and more that strong enough. It is also flat 'enough' not having to cut notches for the lashings.
              I have NEVER used kevlar roving in any boat, but as mentioned before, I haven't build an aerolite yet.
              Sinew slips mercilessly. You will have to use eskimo knots or the lashings will go over a period of time. I use the knots described in the greenland kayak book: http://bit.ly/I7GVme

              Hajo
              --
              "I'm the Salieri of the chess world, I'm talented enough to admire and also to know what I will not achieve. It's better to be ordinary and not know." (Ognjen Amidzic)

              On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 7:23 PM, Steve <asloth@...> wrote:

              I'm getting the reminder/message to use sinew instead of dacron for lashing, as sinew lies much flatter under the skin. Thanks for that. Any experience with the style/knot/hitch to use in this case?

              As I was going to use the dacron for roving instead of kevlar, still the hump issue. Maybe either switch back to kevlar or slightly grove the stringers under the dacron or .....

              Steve C.

            • John Boy
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 24 4:52 PM
                Hajo that knot on the left is also known as an arbor knot and is used to attach backer to a fly reel.
                John Boy

                You can trust me, I have a degree in science...

                  The 'eskimo' knot and the method for tying off are both shown in the Kudzu videos. I have built only one sof canoe but the lashing 'bump' wasn't an issue.

                  Is the roving necessary? Does it actually add and strength or rigidity? I have trouble seeing how it does anything more than satisfy a theoretical need. I have seen people say they have built without the roving and noticed no difference.