Repair Kit

  • nadaequis
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 20, 2012
      This seemed obvious but a search did not turn up anything. Does anyone carry a repair kit for these boats? I'm eyeballing a Classic 12 so that I can car top a decent size boat to various areas of Barnegat Bay NJ. Seems access is shrinking and it's getting more and more difficult to trailer in (without paying ridiculous launch fees) my 18 foot Michalak design. Anyway the purpose is crabbing a bit and also sailing with a touch of fluke fishing. The floor boards look sufficient but I'm just wondering how much abuse the sides will take and if you do put a hole in, what would be the best way to plug it.

      Thanks
    • Bassman4940
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 20, 2012
        I'm not aware of any real "repair kit", but anyone who has built one would have probably saved a few scarps of  Dacron for just an occasion.   You can cut a patch and using the heat-n-bond, just apply it with a clothes iron, then waterproof it.
           For temporary repairs, good old duct tape will work, until you can get a chance to do a decent repair.  (Gorilla tape works best)   One time while fishing, I punched a small hole on a sharp rock right right at the water line and stuffed a couple of rubber worms in the hole... (hey don't laugh, it kept me afloat) ;-)
        All joking aside...   They actually take quite a bit to punch a hole in one, but you can buy the Dacron at any place online that sells ultralight airplane cloth.  A Google search will give you some sources similar to this one.

        Just make sure that it's Dacron because it will shrink when heat is applied to it.  Good luck!

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 20, 2012
          Repair Kit:

          1 piece of dacron 2" x 2"
          1 very small tube super glue
          wrap both of these in a small plastic bag and
          tape bag to rear seat with Gorilla glue

          Use bag for long patches (use gorilla glue to hold it in place
          Use dacron for small rips (use super glue to repair)

          Works like a champ!  Been there, done that!

          Beau Schless
          NOTEbookS Library Automation
          TEL: 978. 443.2996
          CELL: 978.501.0574
          http://www.rasco.com

          From:        "nadaequis" <nadaequis@...>
          To:        Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
          Date:        03/20/2012 06:44 PM
          Sent by:        Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 21, 2012
            Hmmm    hauling crab pots into a dacron boat?  You are going to have two problems:  1) You will undoubtedly rip the skin, 2) You will have bait entrails down between the ribs/stringers and the skin..yuk!.  You might consider building a work platform... something that spans the gunwales (4' beam??) by around 3' deep.  You'd need to have clamps to bridge the gunwales so it won't slip off. and a "lip" on each fore and aft side so slop doesn't get in the boat....then you'd need a way of pulling the traps.  Sounds like you need an old tinb 12' boat you can hoist on top of your car to me.

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 21, 2012
              I just use a couple of hand lines and some string mesh traps with floats that get picked up after hand lining awhile. Chicken legs are bait. Cheap and tough with no bunker guts falling in the boat. I figured since some do fish from these, it might be worth an effort. But you have brought up a point, that is, the point on a run away blue claw. Very sharp.

              Thanks

              --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, bschless@... wrote:

              > Hmmm hauling crab pots into a dacron boat? You are going to have two
              > problems: 1) You will undoubtedly rip the skin, 2) You will have bait
              > entrails down between the ribs/stringers and the skin..yuk!. You might
              > consider building a work platform... something that spans the gunwales (4'
              > beam??) by around 3' deep. You'd need to have clamps to bridge the
              > gunwales so it won't slip off. and a "lip" on each fore and aft side so
              > slop doesn't get in the boat....then you'd need a way of pulling the
              > traps. Sounds like you need an old tinb 12' boat you can hoist on top of
              > your car to me.
              > Beau Schless
              > NOTEbookS Library Automation
              > TEL: 978. 443.2996
              > CELL: 978.501.0574
              > http://www.rasco.com
              >

              > From: "nadaequis" <nadaequis@...>
              > To: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
              > Date: 03/20/2012 06:44 PM
              > Subject: [Airolite_Boats] Repair Kit
              > Sent by: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
              >

              > This seemed obvious but a search did not turn up anything. Does anyone
              > carry a repair kit for these boats? I'm eyeballing a Classic 12 so that I
              > can car top a decent size boat to various areas of Barnegat Bay NJ. Seems
              > access is shrinking and it's getting more and more difficult to trailer in
              > (without paying ridiculous launch fees) my 18 foot Michalak design. Anyway
              > the purpose is crabbing a bit and also sailing with a touch of fluke
              > fishing. The floor boards look sufficient but I'm just wondering how much
              > abuse the sides will take and if you do put a hole in, what would be the
              > best way to plug it.
              >
              > Thanks

            • nadaequis
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 21, 2012
                So you really have to try to hole it. A repair kit can contain some used up Senkos. That is funny though, bait saves angler from wet day.

                Thanks for your help.

                --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, Bassman4940 <bassman4940@...> wrote:

                > I'm not aware of any real "repair kit", but anyone who has built one would have probably saved a few scarps of  Dacron for just an occasion.   You can cut a patch and using the heat-n-bond, just apply it with a clothes iron, then waterproof it.
                >    For temporary repairs, good old duct tape will work, until you can get a chance to do a decent repair.  (Gorilla tape works best)   One time while fishing, I punched a small hole on a sharp rock right right at the water line and stuffed a couple of rubber worms in the hole... (hey don't laugh, it kept me afloat) ;-)
                > All joking aside...   They actually take quite a bit to punch a hole in one, but you can buy the Dacron at any place online that sells ultralight airplane cloth.  A Google search will give you some sources similar to this one.
                > http://beliteaircraftstore.com/uldafa.html
                >

                > Just make sure that it's Dacron because it will shrink when heat is applied to it.  Good luck!
                >
                > ________________________________

              • nadaequis
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 21, 2012
                  Thanks again!

                  Kevin

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 21, 2012
                    yum...blue crabs...all we get up here in Massachusetts are rock crabs....Brown, mean, and big buggers.

                    From:        "nadaequis" <nadaequis@...>
                    To:        Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
                    Date:        03/21/2012 09:16 AM
                    Subject:        [Airolite_Boats] Re: Repair Kit

                    http://www.rasco.com

                    > From: "nadaequis" <nadaequis@...>
                    > To:
                    Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
                    > Date: 03/20/2012 06:44 PM
                    > Subject: [Airolite_Boats] Repair Kit
                    > Sent by:
                    Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

                    > This seemed obvious but a search did not turn up anything. Does anyone
                    > carry a repair kit for these boats? I'm eyeballing a Classic 12 so that I
                    > can car top a decent size boat to various areas of Barnegat Bay NJ.
                    Seems
                    > access is shrinking and it's getting more and more difficult to trailer
                    in
                    > (without paying ridiculous launch fees) my 18 foot Michalak design.
                    Anyway
                    > the purpose is crabbing a bit and also sailing with a touch of fluke
                    > fishing. The floor boards look sufficient but I'm just wondering how
                    much
                    > abuse the sides will take and if you do put a hole in, what would
                    be the
                    > best way to plug it.
                    >
                    > Thanks

                  • Richard Bertram
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 21, 2012

                      I made a 10' Classic for the purpose of crabbing. I haven't used if for crabbing yet, but I have reservations. I used to crab out of my 10 foot port-a-bote and was quite comfortable. I could sit in the back and hoist the rings up from the stern and it felt quite secure. If you were to stand in the back of the classic, I think you would sink it. Not enough surface area. Therefore you would have to haul over the side, not an ideal way to do it. A boat with a wider beam at the back would be better, maybe not quite so agile in the water (which the classic is).
                      Hope this helps. Richard Bertram

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 22, 2012
                        Ah...you must be on the west coast.  On the east coast we use wire traps (similar to lobste pots but smaller) that would be a danger to an ultralite. My son was in Oregon for a while and taught me how to use the rings.  I wonder if they would work here in Boston?

                        From:        Richard Bertram <richardbertram@...>
                        To:        "Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com" <Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com>
                        Date:        03/22/2012 08:24 AM
                        Subject:        Re: [Airolite_Boats] Repair Kit

                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 22, 2012
                          We use hand line for the most part. They produce more. A lot of these crabs have been caught over and over as shorts and have been thrown back. I know that they are not the "intelligent and sensitive creatures" that PETA calls them, but they do seem to learn. We have a wire net so scooping them off of the top is a cinch. Can't beat grilled blue claws and Sammy Summer Ales on a warm night in July.

                          But, ya got me thinking. The SS17 has a ply bottom and that was what concerned me. My criteria for this boat was to be able to rig a sail. I'll row, but not for long with a bad shoulder. Another is to build it in my basement so as to do it when I feel, year round. I measured carefully and the classic won't make it out the door so it's out. The boat has to be car topped also. I've two trailers now. I've got a separate garage where I've built a Michalak Normsboat, a Glen-L Power Skiff 14 (somehow it became 12 something) a six hour (70-80 really) canoe, and michalak Toto. Her Majesty don't care how many boats I have, just as long as they are stored on our property and not accumulating fees.

                          Thanks again

                          Kevin

                          --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, bschless@... wrote:

                          > Ah...you must be on the west coast. On the east coast we use wire traps
                          > (similar to lobste pots but smaller) that would be a danger to an
                          > ultralite. My son was in Oregon for a while and taught me how to use the
                          > rings. I wonder if they would work here in Boston?
                          > Beau Schless
                          > NOTEbookS Library Automation
                          > TEL: 978. 443.2996
                          > CELL: 978.501.0574
                          > http://www.rasco.com
                          >

                          > From: Richard Bertram <richardbertram@...>
                          > To: "Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com" <Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com>
                          > Date: 03/22/2012 08:24 AM
                          > Subject: Re: [Airolite_Boats] Repair Kit
                          > Sent by: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
                          >

                          > I made a 10' Classic for the purpose of crabbing. I haven't used if for
                          > crabbing yet, but I have reservations. I used to crab out of my 10 foot
                          > port-a-bote and was quite comfortable. I could sit in the back and hoist
                          > the rings up from the stern and it felt quite secure. If you were to stand
                          > in the back of the classic, I think you would sink it. Not enough surface
                          > area. Therefore you would have to haul over the side, not an ideal way to
                          > do it. A boat with a wider beam at the back would be better, maybe not
                          > quite so agile in the water (which the classic is).
                          > Hope this helps. Richard Bertram

                        • nadaequis
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 22, 2012
                            Hand lines are the best. We ues those mainly. I have a few traps but not used much. You start pulling up a lot of mud in some ares and that's a bitch on any boat.

                            Thanks

                            Kevin

                            --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, Richard Bertram <richardbertram@...> wrote:

                            > I made a 10' Classic for the purposeof crabbing. I haven't used if for crabbing yet, but I have reservations. I used to crab out of my 10 foot port-a-bote and was quite comfortable. I could sit in the back and hoist the rings up from the stern and it felt quite secure. If you were to stand in the back of the classic, I think you would sink it. Not enough surface area. Therefore you would have to haul over the side, not an ideal way to do it. A boat with a wider beam at the back would be better, maybe not quite so agile in the water (which the classic is).
                            >
                            > Hope this helps. Richard Bertram
                            >

                            > ________________________________

                          • Richard Bertram
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 22, 2012
                              Why not. The rings work really well in Oregon. Crabs around here love chicken thighs. Good thing is the seals don't like it. They really like salmon. So chicken is the answer. We throw the rings in for 15 to 20 minutes then haul them. You have to pull constantly once you start lifting to force the crabs into the ring and hold them there until the ring is out of the water. There is enough of a depression in the rings that the crabs can't easily crawl out before you can pick out the legal sized crab. They also use traps as well, and leave them in for 12 hours or more. Not so much fun.

                              If you need more info, I spent a whole summer crabbing on the Oregon Coast.

                              Richard

                              From:        Richard Bertram <richardbertram@...>
                              To:        "Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com" <Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com>
                              Date:        03/22/2012 08:24 AM

                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 23, 2012
                                The rings do work better than box traps. but the hand lines come in tops. The chicken skin is tough and once that blue claw digs in to that skin, they don't let go easy. Traditional crab bait in the north east is Mossbunker, bunker or medhaden. Or "bunka" as named in NYC. It gets soft and starts to fall apart in the water but is smelly. Chicken necks are also popular if those can be had. Very cheap.

                              • Bob Kay McIntosh
                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 23, 2012

                                  We, too live in the Seattle area and have used rings for years with Dungeness crabs (so delicious) and steady pull works great plus you get the workout and it allows you to be involved in the process – like fishing.   We also use turkey legs or a can of cat food on occasion with holes punched in the lid…

                                  Good hunting…  Bob

                                  From:        Richard Bertram <richardbertram@...>
                                  To:        "Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com" <Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com>
                                  Date:        03/22/2012 08:24 AM

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 24, 2012
                                    I think your crabs would really punch a hole in the hull.