RE: [Airolite_Boats] Re: Modifications to Classic 14

  • Peter North
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 8, 2012

      I believe you are on the right track with your concern about the boom being too low.  I think I would plan on raising it at least six inches but not more than a foot, otherwise I think you will regret using the boom set up over the long run.  The Skerry boom seems to be about 2’ above the seat level.  You may not need that much, but your current configuration does not seem to be high enough.  I realize that this will change some of the dynamics compared to the original sail.

      Personally I think I would stick with the original rig, but come up with a better reefing method.  Would it be possible to put a rope track in the mast, perhaps using an appropriate router bit?  Then you might be able to lift the mast and roll the sail around the mast to shorten the sail area.  Not something you want to do in a seaway, but could be used with some forethought.  You could also go to the Bolger yahoo site and look at some rigs there.  One of my favorite rigs on a small boat is the gunter rig, like on a mirror dinghy.  I think you could shorten that down with some forethought.  You still have the boom issue but it does reduce spar length.  Peter

      :> 1) Substitute balanced lugsail for the design's sprit-boomed sail. The design calls for a 35 ft^2 sprit-boomed sail laced to a 12 ft mast or a "light air rig" of 42 ft^2 on a 14 ft mast. Since I'll be sailing (and rowing) on prairie lakes with sudden changes in wind, I'm not sure that this is the right setup due to inability to adjust sail area on the water and likely inability to drop drop the mast for rowing. I'm proposing a balanced lugsail instead (reefable and shorter spars for stowage). My design is roughed in here: http://imgur.com/jZmJn. This is based on Todd Brandshaw's CLC Skerry rig proportions, scaled to 42 ft^2, with a line of reef points

      Recent Activity:

      ·         New Members 1

      ·         New Photos 4

      .