Re: [Airolite_Boats] Re: seats and seating ideas

  • Bassman4940
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 12, 2011
    • 293 KB
    Hi Rich,
    I made another copy, this time as a .pdf file.  You should be able to open it with Adobe Reader (a free download from www.adobe.com if you don't have it)
    Rick

    From: Rich Kleinhenz <woodnpen@...>
    To: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
    Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2011 11:36 PM
    Subject: Re: [Airolite_Boats] Re: seats and seating ideas

    I'm having trouble with the attachment.  I tried it on the yahoo site, and I downloaded it and tried my own viewer but the source data format is not recognized

    On 12/11/2011 11:12 PM, Bassman4940 wrote:
    Hi RIch,
    I threw together a quick sketch on my computer.  Hope you can make some sense out of it.    The ball bearing locking pins can be found at most hardware stores.  Also, be sure to pre-drill the screw holes so you don't get any splitting.
    Let me know if I can answer and more questions.
    Rick

    Message 2 of 13 , Dec 13, 2011
      Completely clear, thank you very much!  I'll check out Walmart when I get near one.  How wide is the stationary rail you used?  Were the cross-sectional dimensions chosen pretty much to fit the existing screw eyelets?

      On 12/12/2011 7:59 AM, Bassman4940 wrote:
      __

      --
      Best regards,
      Rich
      Message 3 of 13 , Dec 14, 2011
      Hi Rich,
        I didn't think about putting dimensions on the drawing for you.  The bottom (fixed) portion of the rail is 2" and the top rail 3" outside dimensions (that gives a 1/2 on each side of the "C" section.)
        I used the molded in screw eyelets to determine the location of the floor slats (one of the reasons I put in twice as many floor slats as the plans called for).
      Also I used Oak for the seat rails for ruggedness, but that was probably overkill.   One other thing I guess you should consider is the final height of the seat, since you are building a canoe you may not want to be sitting quite so low.  Because they are so light, these suckers are TIPPY and squirley feeling, and will take a little time in the water to get used to the feeling of it, and feel confident that you're not really going to flip over unless you really try to.  I'm actually sitting below the water line and that helps.
        Also one thing I did that wasn't in the plans was to add an keel strip on the bottom (mostly for protection against scraping on rocks), but it also added a small amount of stability and helped it track straighter.
        I also used oak faced luan plywood as the deck, gunnels and trim.   I'll attach a couple more pics, and maybe this will give you some ideas.

      Have you finished your paddle yet?  I made a wooden paddle that was hollow in the middle using 2 strips of L shaped oak trim as the shaft (found in the moulding section of Lowes), it was nice and light, but I've since gone to a carbon paddle that has a little more 'bite' in the water.

      Stay in touch and I'd like to see some pics when you get to that point.
      Take Care,
      Rick

      Message 4 of 13 , Dec 14, 2011
        Beautiful boat!

        Come spring, I'll experiment with the seat for the Nimrod.  It'll be paddled canoe style, seat should be quite low.  I'll just screw things together before committing to any glue.

        No, the paddle is not complete.  This one is a 1-piece, actually 2 halves scarfed together with 70 deg offset.  I decided to build a shaving horse, and before doing anything else productive really clean up my shop.  I make pens there normally, and it'd gotten so bad I could barely walk in there, let alone build anything sizable.  It'll be done by spring!

        Message 5 of 13 , Dec 15, 2011
          Thanks for the compliment.  Sadly as of right now it's stripped down to a skeleton and hanging in my garage.  After 4 years the dacron was looking pretty shabby so I'm going to recover it, but other priorities got in the way.
          I built mine in the back bedroom as a wintertime project, taking it outside to do all the heavy sanding.  I wish I would have taken pics during the construction and kept track of how many hours I spent on it.