Re: [Airolite_Boats] Georges 3D tool ?

  • Roger L
    Message 1 of 44 , Nov 11, 2011
      Hello. I'm another one of the members who rarely posts but plans to maybe build an airolite someday.

       Your mention of  3-D programs to use caught my eye because I recently had the same question. I'm an old artist/designer/engineer so I know people who do a lot of that type of work.

      The answer I got back is that the thing to look for is how flexible the program is at importing files made in other programs, since most programs can now import work done on other CAD programs and you do a lot of that. The most commonly used format for 3-D CAD work is still the somewhat dated "IGES" file format.  There are better ones, but that one is free, common, and transfers to most programs. So whatever program you get it needs to read other program's IGES files at a minimum. Not surprisingly, programs vary in how well they import files, and what information they can or will extract from a fairly universal IGES format.

      When I asked what program they used, most of them used whatever was provided at work, and it varied widely. When I asked what they used at home or just for their own hobbies, most of them use a program called SolidWorks. So I tried it. Nice intuitive program with a built-in tutor. The various versions of the program - including older ones - all seem to talk to one another well.
             Roger L.

      Message 44 of 44 , Nov 19, 2011
        Hi Scott!

        The stoves are great, no question. I don't use one. They're especially good when cooking vs. cooking over an open fire. The fire was just for warmth for me so open fire is ok.

        Tent or some sort of shelter is necessary this time of year here. Its very wet with frequent rain. I use a small tent.

        Cheers,

        Aaron
        Sent from my BlackBerry

        From: 2scott@...
        Sender: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 17:00:22 -0000
        To: <Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [Airolite_Boats] Re: Recent trip in my Arrow 14

        Aaron-
        Do you burn your wood in an open fire pit or did you bring
        any kind of collapsable stove ? The stoves consume much
        less wood and make your wood go a lot farther.

        Also, did you bring a small tent or did you sleep in the open ?

        Scott