Re: [Airolite_Boats] Classic 12 plans for sailing modification

  • Hajo Smulders
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 18, 2011
      Tyvek is noisy as hell. Also I have to buy it in pretty big rolls. (I use it as a packing material for shipping./ Extremely strong and cheap when bought in rolls at home depot.)
      I would suggest a tarp sail (Get the heavier (5Oz) UV resistant stuff. I like 'em in white). You can get tarps in sizes close to your sail; it'll hold up for a few years; it looks like a real sail from more than 30 feet away, it doesn't scream tyvek...
      I prefer tarp over tyvek; unless it was REALLY experimental...

      Hajo
      --
      "You wrote that your parents gave you a purity ring. Do you think purity rings and abstinence pledges are effective?" (Christianity Today Interviewer)

      "Absolutely." (Bristol Palin)

      On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 7:53 AM, <bschless@...> wrote:

      I would suggest you consider going the Tyvek sail route.  Try this...http://www.gaboats.com/tutorials/jiffysail.html

      Beau Schless
      NOTEbookS Library Automation
      TEL: 978. 443.2996
      CELL: 978.501.0574
      http://www.rasco.com

      From:        James Greenlees <jngreenlees@...>
      To:        "Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com" <Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com>
      Cc:        "jngreenlees@..." <jngreenlees@...>
      Date:        07/18/2011 07:15 AM
      Subject:        [Airolite_Boats] Classic 12 plans for sailing modification
      Sent by:        Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

      You may not have gotten the entire plan set.

      I had a question about fitting the Classic 12 for sailing and
      recevied following reply on Mar 1, 2011 when asking about
      Classic 12 sailing rig.

      "Yes!  there is a sailing separate sheet for the sailing rig!  Bette Monfort"

      Here is my question,
      "
      Dear Mrs. Monfort,

      The Geodesic AiroLITE designs are wonderful.

      In Nov2010, my wfie, Anna Marie, ordered plans for
      Ebenezer 11. After studying them, we are considering
      the Classic 12 instead.

      Since the Classic 12 can also be configured for sailing,
      which is big factor in switching boats, please verify
      whether the Classic 12 building plans include the
      additional details/modifications to fit the boat for
      sailing."

      Thanks and best regards,
      J.N. (Jamie) Greenlees
      Office: 703-846-4965 Mobile: 703-346-6640
      e-mail: jngreenlees@...

    • mgrogg@juno.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 18, 2011
        Not if you get the right Tyvek. As well as the HouseWrap and shipping materials, there is also a 'Soft' Tyvek. I bought some from a Kitemakers supply, it looks like a woven white fabric, doesn't have the hard surface, and is very quiet. I used it for prototyping some large sport kite designs I was working on at the time. Very strong, doesn't look cheap at all. It also worked well going through the sewing machine.

        The company I bought from sold it by the yard, and it wasn't all that expensive. (Sorry, I don't remember the company, and that was at least 15 years ago.) You should be able to Google Kite Making supplies and get some leads on where to buy some now.

        Michael Grogg
        Clearwater Florida

[...]

        ThinkPad Laptop Deals
        Save up to 25% more on select Laptops w/ 2nd Gen Intel® Core™ i7.
        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/4e2443bbce0b476751st03vuc
      • Hajo Smulders
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 18, 2011
          Ha! The stuff they make overalls from. My dri ducks are made from that (rain gear).
          Nice thing about dri ducks is that they are only about $15; rhey breathe as well as gore tex; The pants make for fantastic river pants etc...
          I can see that being a very useful material.
          Hajo