Design modification

  • Homeowner
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 20 1:35 PM
      Hello everyone!
      New member to the group here. I've been browsing the group and learning a lot. I purchased the snowshoe 14 plans because I'd like to build that canoe for river excursions and a future multi lake trip involving several portages. I am also planning to build the Black fly pram as a tender for my sailboat this fall. Before getting to either of those projects however, I want to modify the snowshoe plans for a bit of a unique purpose. I'm taking a 6 day canoe trip this summer. Its the same trip I took last year with my two small boys (now 4 and 6). This time my sister is coming along to though. The problem is that my current canoe (a 17' fiberglass one) was just about right for just me and the boys and a weeks worth of gear. So my idea was to modify the snowshoe plans to build a small "canoe trailer" with about 100# capacity. It could also double as a kid canoe that the boys could play around in and would give me a chance to make my learning mistakes on a small project before moving on to the bigger ones.

      Any input that anyone wants to offer with respect to modifying the plans would be greatly appreciated.

      Cheers!
      Qben
    • mgrogg51
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 20 3:17 PM
        1. I would build a bigger boat, like the Snowshoe 16 or 18. More capacity, slightly higher cost for materials, same build time within a few minutes. Not knowing what river you are going down, but from past experience trying to tow another canoe, they tend to get caught on things or run into from the rear a lot. A single boat is easier to control

        2. If you really want to modify, think about stretching the 16 to a 17, the length to width ratio would be slightly better your boat would be slightly faster. If you try shortening the 14, you would end up with a short fat boat, which will slow you down. If you really want to build a short small canoe, take out the center station so you reduce the width of the canoe.

        My .02,

        Michael Grogg

        --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, "Homeowner" <qbenoliver@...> wrote:

        > Hello everyone!
        > New member to the group here. I've been browsing the group and learning a lot. I purchased the snowshoe 14 plans because I'd like to build that canoe for river excursions and a future multi lake trip involving several portages. I am also planning to build the Black fly pram as a tender for my sailboat this fall. Before getting to either of those projects however, I want to modify the snowshoe plans for a bit of a unique purpose. I'm taking a 6 day canoe trip this summer. Its the same trip I took last year with my two small boys (now 4 and 6). This time my sister is coming along to though. The problem is that my current canoe (a 17' fiberglass one) was just about right for just me and the boys and a weeks worth of gear. So my idea was to modify the snowshoe plans to build a small "canoe trailer" with about 100# capacity. It could also double as a kid canoe that the boys could play around in and would give me a chance to make my learning mistakes on a small project before moving on to the bigger ones.
        >
        > Any input that anyone wants to offer with respect to modifying the plans would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Cheers!
        > Qben

      • Homeowner
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 20 5:58 PM
          Well I probably was not quite clear. I purchased the plans for the Snowshoe 14 because I already have a canoe suitable for lakes and tidal areas, but I wanted something light, keel-less and smaller for running rivers primarily by myself, but maybe with one other person.

          The towing idea is strictly for this summer's lake trip, which shouldn't put me in position to snag or catch it on anything based on my experience doing the same trip last year. I was going to experiment with a couple of different ideas I have for towing, that would involve a rigid, hinged bridle to alleviate the yo-yo effect.

          Certainly, I understand the advantages of a single boat, but I can't really justify building a boat that best suits a very infrequent type of use.

          As to the modification, I was thinking along the lines of reducing the length and width proportionately (taking out the center station as you said), but not messing much with the rest of it. Maybe add a little bit of tumblehome to help my kids with the paddle reach, add a small keel for tracking while towing, and cut the amount of rocker in half.

          Thanks for the input, and keep it coming!
          Qben

          --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, "mgrogg51" <mgrogg@...> wrote:

          > 1. I would build a bigger boat, like the Snowshoe 16 or 18. More capacity, slightly higher cost for materials, same build time within a few minutes. Not knowing what river you are going down, but from past experience trying to tow another canoe, they tend to get caught on things or run into from the rear a lot. A single boat is easier to control
          >
          > 2. If you really want to modify, think about stretching the 16 to a 17, the length to width ratio would be slightly better your boat would be slightly faster. If you try shortening the 14, you would end up with a short fat boat, which will slow you down. If you really want to build a short small canoe, take out the center station so you reduce the width of the canoe.
          >
          > My .02,
          >
          > Michael Grogg
          >
          > --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, "Homeowner" <qbenoliver@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello everyone!
          > > New member to the group here. I've been browsing the group and learning a lot. I purchased the snowshoe 14 plans because I'd like to build that canoe for river excursions and a future multi lake trip involving several portages. I am also planning to build the Black fly pram as a tender for my sailboat this fall. Before getting to either of those projects however, I want to modify the snowshoe plans for a bit of a unique purpose. I'm taking a 6 day canoe trip this summer. Its the same trip I took last year with my two small boys (now 4 and 6). This time my sister is coming along to though. The problem is that my current canoe (a 17' fiberglass one) was just about right for just me and the boys and a weeks worth of gear. So my idea was to modify the snowshoe plans to build a small "canoe trailer" with about 100# capacity. It could also double as a kid canoe that the boys could play around in and would give me a chance to make my learning mistakes on a small project before moving on to the bigger ones.
          > >
          > > Any input that anyone wants to offer with respect to modifying the plans would be greatly appreciated.
          > >
          > > Cheers!
          > > Qben

        • Matthew
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 21 10:37 AM
            Howdy,

            I built a snowshoe 16 with my small sons. As they have grown this boat is really only good for 2 of us and not all three. Even with only 2 of us onboard I wish I had built the 18 foot traveler.

            If you really want to tow another canoe, why not just build the 14 footer true to plans? It's a really small boat already and as your kids grow it would be a fun boat for everyone.

            Best

            Matt

            --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, "Homeowner" <qbenoliver@...> wrote:

            > Hello everyone!
            > New member to the group here. I've been browsing the group and learning a lot. I purchased the snowshoe 14 plans because I'd like to build that canoe for river excursions and a future multi lake trip involving several portages. I am also planning to build the Black fly pram as a tender for my sailboat this fall. Before getting to either of those projects however, I want to modify the snowshoe plans for a bit of a unique purpose. I'm taking a 6 day canoe trip this summer. Its the same trip I took last year with my two small boys (now 4 and 6). This time my sister is coming along to though. The problem is that my current canoe (a 17' fiberglass one) was just about right for just me and the boys and a weeks worth of gear. So my idea was to modify the snowshoe plans to build a small "canoe trailer" with about 100# capacity. It could also double as a kid canoe that the boys could play around in and would give me a chance to make my learning mistakes on a small project before moving on to the bigger ones.
            >
            > Any input that anyone wants to offer with respect to modifying the plans would be greatly appreciated.
            >
            > Cheers!
            > Qben

          • Qben
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 21 9:00 PM
              That actually seems to make a lot of sense. I suppose I wouldn't really be saving much in effort by towing a canoe that is a bit smaller rather than just the full size 14 and the project may not even take any longer to do the full size one.

              Thanks