Boats on car roofs

  • Roger Crier
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 9, 2011
      Ok, so you have carefully strapped the boat to the cars roof.(Mine will be a Whitehall Jr.)

      What sort of cruising speed do you guys recommend for a safe trip?

      Thanks,

      Rog
    • Greg
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 9, 2011
        I'll be interested to see the results as I plan on driving mine from Alabama to Canada this summer. It may be slow going but I was hoping for the speed limit.
      • John Scott
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 9, 2011
        • 283 KB
        Check pic,Yes the Whitehall is a very strong& well constructed .I logged over 7000miles. Attached to the rack on my Saturn.being towed behind the Rv. Note that i did not strap it on. Straps would wear the aircraft fabric.I designed a simple cradle that matched angle of the gunnel's .then made a clamping device attaching the Whitehall to the cradle.The only draw back it was time consuming to load and unload the boat.When your not riding in the car you have to be sure the is still with you when reaching the destination.This should help you. scotty .I will try and post more pic's
      • Elliot Mednick
        Message 4 of 11 , Feb 9, 2011

          I have an Arrow 14, which I think is one of the lightest of the boats.  I have no problem cruising at 75 with it strapped it to the top of my Mazda 3.  I use two straps with the ratchets.  I also use a couple of bungee cords to tie down the front and back of the boat to keep it centered.  Otherwise it will start twisting.

          I use four foam  carrier blocks that have slots for the gunwales.  I don’t have a rack on the roof of my car.   Thankfully, the blocks haven’t scratched the car roof.

          I don’t see how the straps would affect the skin of the boat, but I suppose over time it might.  I don’t worry about that and I don’t see any evidence that there is any wear from the straps.

          Hint: Give the strap a twist between the boat and the car.  This will prevent the strap from vibrating in the wind and making that annoying noise for the whole trip.

          --Elliot

          Salem, NH and midcoast Maine

          Message 5 of 11 , Feb 9, 2011
            Here's what I do on my Subaru (which has two Thule bars that go across the car as well as the longitudinal bars that come standard on the Subaru)

            I own two very long straps (with buckles).  I've had them for years and couldn't live without them.  I think they are 15' each.

            I thread one strap forward and one aft through the longitudinal bars (the ones that go parallel to the rain gutters). Keep the buckle end about 6 feet long.

            I put the boat on the rack (upside down, bow first).  I have two foam canoe gunwale pads that support the gunwale off the roof rack.  They were originally made to sit on the roof of the car but I don't use them that way.

            I toss the two ends of each strap over the boat.

            I loop the loose end of each strap under the longitudinal roof bar.

            I buckle the straps (giving me effectively 4 straps across the hull) and crank on them. I've never lost a boat (yet) and travel 70 MPH.  And so far I haven't crushed a hull.

            If you wanted to you could run a line from the bow to the front bumper.

            Beau Schless
            NOTEbookS Library Automation
            (978) 443-2996
            http://www.rasco.com

            From:        "Roger Crier" <rogercrier@...>
            To:        Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
            Date:        02/09/2011 01:52 PM
            Subject:        [Airolite_Boats] Boats on car roofs
            Sent by:        Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

            Message 6 of 11 , Feb 9, 2011
              wow...you pull that big camper with that little SUV??

              From:        John Scott <flyscott06@...>
              To:        Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
              Date:        02/09/2011 02:52 PM
              Subject:        [Airolite_Boats] Re: Boats on car roofs [1 Attachment]
              Sent by:        Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

              [Attachment(s) from John Scott included below]

              Message 7 of 11 , Feb 9, 2011
                And he does it all with a boat on the roof as well! I bet the fuel mileage is crap though !!!

              • mgrogg@juno.com
                Message 8 of 11 , Feb 9, 2011
                  Unless you are in Germany on the Autobahn, the posted legal speed limit should be safe. The covering material is used on aircraft wings that go much faster than you car with a boat on top will. As long as you have quality materials, and used the Kevlar roving, the structure should be fine. Do be sure you don't get any aerodynamic vibration on your straps that would beat on the structure of the boat.

                  Ok, so you have carefully strapped the boat to the cars roof.(Mine will be a
                  Whitehall Jr.)

                  What sort of cruising speed do you guys recommend for a safe trip?

                  Thanks,

                  Rog

                  Obama Urges Homeowners to Refinance
                  http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/4d530b9c489911c10dest04vuc
                • Caruk, Gord
                  Message 9 of 11 , Feb 9, 2011

                    Hi all.

                    I have built three canoes, and have been paddling them all over central Ontario over the last 5 years or so. I travel at 120 KPH (75 MPH). For narrow beam boats (less than 30” – my narrowest boat has an 18” beam) be careful to have no more than about 4 feet sticking in front of your roof rack or that forward-most point that is solidly attached to your vehicle. These boats, while great and completely strong enough to be seaworthy, need a little care at these speeds. Gusts (from trucks for example) will try to take the bow and push it over to one side or the other, and the wind at this speed will try to push it even further. I have had a couple of the Kevlar strands pull out (not actually come out but slacken to the point that they are no longer helping) due to this stress. Keeping the boat centered further back with little sticking out the front and more sticking out the rear, eliminates this problem.

                    I tie my boats on with nylon braided rope with a trucker’s hitch http://www.animatedknots.com/truckers/index.php and finished off with a slip knot. The hitch gives very good mechanical advantage, and as with a ratcheting strap, be careful not to tie too tightly that a stringer is broken. If you can get your ropes tied at a point where the stringers are supported by a rib, this will give lots of support to tie very tightly.

                    These boats handle very well on the roof. As with everywhere these boats go, they attract a lot of attention. I’ve had a lot of people matching my speed to get a good look while zooming down the freeway a full speed.

                    Gord

                  • Greg
                    Message 10 of 11 , Feb 10, 2011
                      :) That was my first thought too.

                      --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, bschless@... wrote:

                      > wow...you pull that big camper with that little SUV??
                      >
                      > Beau Schless
                      > NOTEbookS Library Automation
                      > (978) 443-2996
                      > http://www.rasco.com
                      >

                      > From: John Scott <flyscott06@...>
                      > To: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
                      > Date: 02/09/2011 02:52 PM
                      > Subject: [Airolite_Boats] Re: Boats on car roofs [1 Attachment]
                      > Sent by: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
                      >

                      > [Attachment(s) from John Scott included below]
                      > Check pic,Yes the Whitehall is a very strong& well constructed .I logged
                      > over 7000miles. Attached to the rack on my Saturn.being towed behind the
                      > Rv. Note that i did not strap it on. Straps would wear the aircraft
                      > fabric.I designed a simple cradle that matched angle of the gunnel's .then
                      > made a clamping device attaching the Whitehall to the cradle.The only draw
                      > back it was time consuming to load and unload the boat.When your not
                      > riding in the car you have to be sure the is still with you when reaching
                      > the destination.This should help you. scotty .I will try and post more
                      > pic's

                    • Roger Crier
                      Message 11 of 11 , Feb 10, 2011
                        It is nice to know that you can get a move on if required, and those speeds seem fine for me. Thanks for all the replies.

                        Rog.