Re: [Airolite_Boats] Coupla Questions

    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 7, 2011
      Heat and bond goes on raw wood.

      People paint these things with everything!  I used some water based polyeurethane, ran out, and started using spray poly (from the hardware store).  If you don't mind the color you can use Latex house paint.  If you use airplane dope for goodness sake put it on out of doors!
      Beau Schless
      NOTEbookS Library Automation
      (978) 443-2996
      http://www.rasco.com

      From:        rkofler@...
      To:        Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
      Date:        02/07/2011 03:56 PM
      Subject:        Re: [Airolite_Boats]  Coupla Questions
      Sent by:        Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

      We are building the Classic 14 and I have two questions for the group:

      Should Heat and Bond tape be applied to bare wood or varnished wood?

      Has anyone tried using the aircraft method of finishing the fabric,
      with airplane dope and aluminum paint?

      Thank you for your expertise.

      Roger

    • Roger Crier
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 8, 2011
        Whenever you use paint on the Airolite you should really do a test piece to see how your paint affects the rip stop qualities and strength of the Airolene.

        Once stretched and in a bare state, the airolene is very very strong. If you had a test piece held out by an accomplice, you couldn't punch through it with a fist for instance. (well we couldn't on our "Walker Wingsail" boats) It is also strong when painted with the correct paints, but even then, I have seen it fail the punch test once it has been doped and painted, but this could have been because there was already a flaw in the cloth, so be warned. Do some before and after tests.

        Why not have a go at applying the "Monocote" model aircraft covering as Platt suggests in the blurb, as these weaknesses in the Airolene only appear when the weave is filled with a paint like substance, and the Monocote is a covering that leaves the weave in it's original strong state?

        Hope that helps!

        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 9, 2011
          Thanks for the suggestions. We will do some tests of whatever we decide to try. What we are looking for is a fabric finish that is the least transparent. We would like to minimize, or eliminate, the look of the frame showing through the fabric, but at the same time retain the look of the varnished frame against the white fabric on the inside of the boat. We may be asking too much.

          Roger

          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 9, 2011
            Roger,
            I used 2 coats white of water-based exterior house paint and got the results I think you are looking for.  I thined the paint before applying so the first coat would soak into the fabric and so there wouldn't be any brush stokes visible in the second layer.
            You could probably also use a roller with a short nap and achieve pretty good results if you thin the paint down a little.
            Hope this helps!
            Rick

            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 9, 2011
              Roger,

              You're not asking too much :-). That's just what I've done (as have several others) with my boat. I'll send you more info after work today.

              Cheers,

              Aaron

              Sent from my BlackBerry

              From: rkofler@...
              Sender: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 11:46:02 -0500
              To: <Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com>
              ReplyTo: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 10, 2011
                Thanks again for all the responses to my questions. One question I asked was whether Heat and Bond tape should be put over bare or varnished wood. Someone responded that it should go over raw wood. However my partner on this project pointed out that Platt's instruction sheet calls for putting it over varnished wood. Platt  says to practice with the Heat and Bond tape and some varnished scrap wood. Which is correct, or are they both correct?

                Another question I have is after we varnish the frame and install the fabric, do we varnish the inside of the fabric, or does it remain unfinished?

                Thanks

                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 11, 2011
                  Right or wrong, I put my heatn'bond on bare wood. I used a double layer of heatn'bond at the gunwale. Helped stick down the kevlar roving better. Of course I ran short of tape and had to steal some from the cut water reinforcement piece.  Results were excellent. Richard

                  From:        rkofler@...
                  To:        Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
                  Date:        02/07/2011 03:56 PM
                  Sent by:        Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

                  We are building the Classic 14 and I have two questions for the group:

                  Should Heat and Bond tape be applied to bare wood or varnished wood?

                  Has anyone tried using the aircraft method of finishing the fabric,
                  with airplane dope and aluminum paint?

                  Thank you for your expertise.

                  Roger

                  Finding fabulous fares is fun.
                • John Scott

                  Message 9 of 26 , Feb 11, 2011
                    Roger,

                    I'm sure both will work well. I put it on top of varnish and its holding wonderfully.

                    My boat is painted, and I left the fabric raw inside. However if the kevlar roving ever starts to come loose I'll probably varnish the inside. So far it doesn't seem to need it.

                    Cheers,

                    Aaron

                    Sent from my BlackBerry