Re: [Airolite_Boats] Cardboard moulds?

  • mike&jane_osz
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 10, 2007
      Dave,

      I'm in the final stages of completing my ARROW-14 (see photos: "moszczak").   I used the luan (4' x 8' x 5mm, sheet is cheap), rather than cardboard for the mould stations.  It cuts easily, using band-saw and jig-saw.  The luan lays flatter than cardboard, especially in high humidity areas of the country.  Luan just cuts nice clean notches better for the stringers indents...plus, the 18-gauge wire hold-downs were more secure when pulling tight, for the stringers, I suspect, using luan versus cardboard.
      Finally, I intend to build a second ARROW-14, for my own use, and the wood moulds survived nicely from the initial build.   I don't know if cardboard would have survived after a single use.

      If you go with cardboard...I would definitely reinforce the cutout areas...But, if you figure your cost in time to do that reinforcing...then the low cost of luan definitely looks better.

      Them's my thots, anyway!

      Mike

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 10, 2007
        David:

        Can't answer for the cardboard. I too used Luan. There
        is something to be said for not having to cut out a
        second set of mold stations if you should decide to
        build another. I second the statement about the wire
        for the stringers.Reinforcement of the cardboard
        stations would be necessary in my opinion. Having said
        that, I've been plodding along with my Classic 12 for
        several months, couple of hours here, couple of hours
        there... It's not about how soon I get it done. It's
        more about something relaxing in the evenings. So an
        extra bit of time added here or there wouldn't be an
        issue in the over all scheme of things.

        Sincerely:
        Paul T
        --- millhavenguy <drp122@...> wrote:

        > OK, I've put it off long enough and am getting
        > started on my Arrow 14.
        > Platt says to use heavy cardboard for the moulds (or
        > cheap luan) and
        > I've found some really nice thick stuff from a local
        > bike shop. What
        > have folks here used? Will the cardboard be OK?
        > should I reinforce the
        > stringer/gunwhale cutouts with wood?
        > Thanks, David

      • furtling
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 10, 2007
          --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, "millhavenguy" <drp122@...> wrote:

          > OK, I've put it off long enough and am getting started on my Arrow 14.
          > Platt says to use heavy cardboard for the moulds (or cheap luan) and
          > I've found some really nice thick stuff from a local bike shop. What
          > have folks here used? Will the cardboard be OK? should I reinforce the
          > stringer/gunwhale cutouts with wood?
          > Thanks, David

          Like the others I went with 4mm ply. Found I needed the extra strength
          for wiring down.