Re: [Airolite_Boats] Pre-order queries (nerves)

  • Bassman4940
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 21, 2011
      Hi Martyn,
      Glad to be of help and if you have any questions during the procurement of materials and the build itself, there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum.

      I actually built my kayak in the living room as a winter time project. That was before I was married of course and could get the house as messy as I wanted!   My advice would be to have someplace (outdoors or a garage) to do all the major cuts of the wood and rough sanding sanding.

      A good precise table saw is a MUST for ripping all the boards into such thin strips.

      Yes there is definitely a trade-off between weight and stability, but I can only speak from the kayak standpoint and not the canoe.   But because it has multiple chines, it is less tippy than a round bottom canoe IMHO.    You can see pictures of my boat on the forum in the folder "Ric's Rob-Roy".

      Also one other thing I should mention is that the designer (Platt Monfort) was not much of a technical writer, so the actual build directions were sketchy and hard to follow.  But the blueprints were excellent and actually just built mine directly from the blueprints.

      I would highly suggest going with the "kit" if it's still available becuase it includes the Dacron, Kevlar and epoxy.
      Hope this info helps...

      From: martyn.long <martyn.long@...>
      Subject: [Airolite_Boats] Pre-order queries (nerves)
      To: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, January 20, 2011, 5:19 PM

      Hi Folks,

      I'm a new member (uk) and just about to take the plunge to construct a classic 12.

      Before I try to set up the order, to settle my last minute nerves, I would really appreciate it if someone could answer just a few last questions:

      How do they handle? I am mainly interested in rowing and would like to know whether they are much different from a standard boat. Due to their lightness are they 'skittish'? Can you board and stand up in them ok? Do they tend to get blown about by the wind?
      Would they be at all suitable for some light weather sea conditions? At a push, what wave/wind conditions would you be confident going out in?

      Ideally I would try one out myself, but I just haven't seen these about in this country.

      I would really appreciate any advice about this.

      BTW, I have done various forms of boating and currently share a 17' pocket cruiser which I sail in tidal waters.

      Many thanks

      Martyn

    • Bassman4940
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 21, 2011
        I think the snowshoe would be perfect for the estuaries, shallow lakes, marshes and any flat water.   I've had mine out on the ocean, off the coast of Maine, but stayed in the inlets where the chop wasn't to high.   If you keep the center of gravity as low as possible, there isn't any more danger of tipping over than a regular canoe.

        What I've seen others do is kneel in it, which would lower your gravity and give you better bracing capability.  I also would recommend a kayak paddle just for the extra push.

        Hope this helps... good luck!
        Rick

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 21, 2011
          Has anytone trie usig gallon milk bottles under seats as floatation?
          Beau Schless
          NOTEbookS Library Automation
          (978) 443-2996
          http://www.rasco.com

          From:        Martyn Long <martyn.long@...>
          To:        Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
          Date:        01/21/2011 08:41 AM
          Sent by:        Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 21, 2011
            I row in a river that has lots of clam shells.  Invariably I knew what was going to happen...it was only a matter of time. Do like I do and carry an emergency repair kit.  It consists of:

            1) a piece of dacron approx. 2" x 3" long
            2) A small disposable tube of superglue
            3) A plastic bag to hold the above in
            4) A piece of duct tape to tape the above to one of the seat posts.

            The process is to glue the patch in place, then once it's dried on the skin smear the rest of the super glue over the patch.  Voila!  Instant boat repair.
            And don't forget...if the rip is really big, use the plastic bag and the duct tape!

            Beau Schless
            NOTEbookS Library Automation
            (978) 443-2996
            http://www.rasco.com

            [Airolite_Boats] Re: Pre-order queries (nerves)

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 21, 2011
              The best floatation would be a heavy vinyl airtight bag that you could insert under the sat then blow up. That's what we do in our sailboat.  I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile building a "box" under the seat that you could fill with a variety of things...tennis balls...packing foam blocks,