Re: Hi there! new member, new boat new photo album

  • moszczak
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2007
      Paul,
      I have had very good success using "boiling water" to bend white ash,
      instead of steam. I started to built a "steam pipe" from PVC, but
      before starting the steaming routine, I tried a trial piece of ash
      (3/16" x 3/4" x 48")in the capped 4-foot PVC pipe, using "boiling
      water" from my MR COFFEE perc coffee maker. Low and behold it worked
      great! A 4-foot x 3" diameter PVC pipe takes almost exactly 12 cups
      of MR COFFEE boiling water. Immersing the strips for about 3 minutes
      provides strips that are pliable/formable for building my ARROW-14
      canoe (see my photos in these files under: "moszczak"). Wrapping
      some insulation around the PVC pipe allowed me to bend 3 strips,
      before having to dump the water, and recharge the tube with the next
      shot of "boiling water." The really nice thing about the ash is
      that it drys very quickly. Indeed, you only have about 2 minutes to
      work the ribs, in place against the stringers, to clamp in your
      canoe, before they become dry.
      My take...if I don't have to deal with "steam" then it's much easier
      for me.

      I've also bent white oak strips, same size, 3/16 x 3/4 x 4feet, using
      the same "boiling technique"...works just as well, but they dry at a
      slower rate.

      Mike ("moszczak" in the photo files)

      --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, noneof yourbusiness

      > Luggage? GPS? Comic books?