The launch!!

  • AARON WOOD
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 19, 2010
      So I finally got my boat in the water!  Just a short paddle, but it does indeed float :-)  For those of you who haven't seen it recently here's the link.  I may put an album up on the group site soon but haven't yet.

      Cheers all and Merry Christmas!

      Aaron
    • Peter
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 20, 2010
        Superb !!! And I love the color scheme. What did you use for the colored coating?
        Peter

      • a_wood_@rogers.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 20, 2010
          Thanks guys! The paint is Benjamin Moore Aura semi-gloss with a primer of Moore's "Fresh Start," two coats of each, 1st coat of primer thinned 25% or so that it would penetrate the fabric better. It worked, gluing the Kevlar in place and sticking the cloth to the frame. The paint work isn't finished just yet, the plan is to add a sawtooth pattern to the white band just below the gunnels.

          I had been waiting for a day where it was calm enough to go out though and I had to grab it while the weather was good! In the spring I'll take it for a 60 mile trip and see how it fares as a tripping boat.

          Cheers,

          Aaron

          From: "Peter" <prjacobs@...>
          Sender: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 17:19:56 -0000
          To: <Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [Airolite_Boats] Re: The launch!!

          Superb !!! And I love the color scheme. What did you use for the colored coating?
          Peter

          --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, AARON WOOD <a_wood_@...> wrote:

          > So I finally got my boat in the water! Just a short paddle, but it does indeed
          > float :-) For those of you who haven't seen it recently here's the link. I may
          > put an album up on the group site soon but haven't yet.
          >
          > Cheers all and Merry Christmas!
          >
          > Aaron

        • Dennis O
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 20, 2010
            I've been lurking on this group for 2 or 3 years. Yours is one of the finest photo journals I have seen. Your wood work is impressive as well--very well done and thanks for sharing. A beautiful job!

            Dennis

            So I finally got my boat in the water!  Just a short paddle, but it does indeed float :-)  For those of you who haven't seen it recently here's the link.  I may put an album up on the group site soon but haven't yet.

            Cheers all and Merry Christmas!

            Aaron
          • Richard Bertram

              From: "Peter" <prjacobs@...>
              Sender: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 17:19:56 -0000
              To: <Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com>
              ReplyTo: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

              Superb !!! And I love the color scheme. What did you use for the colored coating?
              Peter

              --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, AARON WOOD <a_wood_@...> wrote:

              > So I finally got my boat in the water! Just a short paddle, but it does indeed
              > float :-) For those of you who haven't seen it recently here's the link. I may
              > put an album up on the group site soon but haven't yet.
              >
              > Cheers all and Merry Christmas!
              >
              > Aaron

            • Bob Kay McIntosh
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 21, 2010

                Richard …  I am in the process of covering my Class 12 …  what paint/varnish are you using?   Bob

                From: "Peter" <prjacobs@...>

                Sender: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

                Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 17:19:56 -0000

                To: <Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com>

                ReplyTo: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

                Superb !!! And I love the color scheme. What did you use for the colored coating?
                Peter

                --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, AARON WOOD <a_wood_@...> wrote:

                > So I finally got my boat in the water! Just a short paddle, but it does indeed
                > float :-) For those of you who haven't seen it recently here's the link. I may
                > put an album up on the group site soon but haven't yet.
                >
                > Cheers all and Merry Christmas!
                >
                > Aaron

              • Richard Bertram
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 21, 2010
                  Bob,

                  I don't know yet. I had considered spar urethene and tried it on a sample and it turned the fabric yellowish. Not attractive. The Dacron is on and I am ready to paint, so decision time is coming up. I suggested earlier that water based house paint or water based porch and floor enamel worked the best of all of my tests. I think I want an opaque finish as my shell came out decent. I'm thinking about using a tint base porch and floor enamel, that is an opaque product with all of the features of the colored product, just no additives. Heading down to the Hardware store tomorrow for a consult. Will let you know.

                  Have you got any thoughts on the subject? I'd like to hear them.

                  Richard

                  From: "Peter" <prjacobs@...>

                  Sender: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

                  Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 17:19:56 -0000

                  To: <Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com>

                  ReplyTo: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

                  Superb !!! And I love the color scheme. What did you use for the colored coating?
                  Peter

                  --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, AARON WOOD <a_wood_@...> wrote:

                  > So I finally got my boat in the water! Just a short paddle, but it does indeed
                  > float :-) For those of you who haven't seen it recently here's the link. I may
                  > put an album up on the group site soon but haven't yet.
                  >
                  > Cheers all and Merry Christmas!
                  >
                  > Aaron

                • Bob Kay McIntosh
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 21, 2010

                    Richard…  have been copying and filing a number of suggestion on this site as to type of paint/varnish, whatever, to use …  I think at this time I might go with paint and try for a semi-opaque look, but not yet sure which brand to use….  Will advise the net once I make my decision and you might go back an search on this site for paint suggestions as there were quite a few over the past year…  please let me know how yours turns out as I certainly do not have all the answers on this one and there seems to be quite a few options.   Bob

                    From: "Peter" <prjacobs@...>

                    Sender: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

                    Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 17:19:56 -0000

                    To: <Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com>

                    ReplyTo: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

                    Superb !!! And I love the color scheme. What did you use for the colored coating?
                    Peter

                    --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, AARON WOOD <a_wood_@...> wrote:

                    > So I finally got my boat in the water! Just a short paddle, but it does indeed
                    > float :-) For those of you who haven't seen it recently here's the link. I may
                    > put an album up on the group site soon but haven't yet.
                    >
                    > Cheers all and Merry Christmas!
                    >
                    > Aaron

                  • jsinjpma
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 29, 2010
                      Congratulations on a fine job! Glad the weather let you get it into the water this season, even if just barely. That first time afloat in your new boat--isn't that a great feeling?
                      Jim

                    • a_wood_@rogers.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 29, 2010
                        It is indeed Jim! And thanks. Once the ice melts I'll have it out on a 40-60 mile trip just to see how it is as a tripping canoe. Tripping's one of my passions and is one of the driving forces behind building a lightweight boat. Even if its no good for that though it'll be great for my kids to learn to paddle solo :-)

                        Cheers all and happy New Year!

                        Aaron

                        From: "jsinjpma" <jsinjpma@...>
                        Sender: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
                        Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 00:32:17 -0000
                        To: <Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com>
                        ReplyTo: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

                        Congratulations on a fine job! Glad the weather let you get it into the water this season, even if just barely. That first time afloat in your new boat--isn't that a great feeling?
                        Jim

                        --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, AARON WOOD <a_wood_@...> wrote:

                        > So I finally got my boat in the water! Just a short paddle, but it does indeed
                        > float :-) For those of you who haven't seen it recently here's the link. I may
                        > put an album up on the group site soon but haven't yet.
                        >
                        > Cheers all and Merry Christmas!
                        >
                        > Aaron

                      • Bassman4940
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 29, 2010
                          Congrats Aaron!
                          It's a great feeling to finally get to sit in it after all the many hours building, but a satisfaction only a few of us share!  :-)   Did it feel a little bit 'tippy' compared to factory made boats you've been in?  It takes a while to get used to the feeling of an ultralight, but I know you'll enjoy it!   Congratulations again on such a a beautiful craft!
                          Rick

                        • a_wood_@rogers.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 30, 2010
                            Hi Rick,

                            Tippy, yes!! Just while getting in and out, but yes, very. That said I expected as much from a boat with a 28" beam but it even feels maybe a bit tippier because of the light weight. However once seated (or kneeling) it felt fine. Once I head out on that first long portage however none of the rest will matter!

                            Cheers,

                            Aaron

                            Congratulations on a fine job! Glad the weather let you get it into the water this season, even if just barely. That first time afloat in your new boat--isn't that a great feeling?
                            Jim

                            --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, AARON WOOD <a_wood_@...> wrote:

                            > So I finally got my boat in the water! Just a short paddle, but it does indeed
                            > float :-) For those of you who haven't seen it recently here's the link. I may
                            > put an album up on the group site soon but haven't yet.
                            >
                            > Cheers all and Merry Christmas!
                            >
                            > Aaron

                          • Bassman4940
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 30, 2010
                              Hi Aaron,
                              It took me quite awhile to get used to the tippiness of my Airolite Kayak, but once I learned how to brace myself, I can now stand and flyfish (in calm shallow waters).   Another thing that takes some getting used to is crosswinds and how easily it is to hold a course.   I added a bit of a keel on mine using a strip of oak.  That helped it track a little better, but also gave the bottom some protection when running over stuff.
                              Have you posted any pics of it to the group?

                              Tippy, yes!! Just while getting in and out, but yes, very. That said I expected as much from a boat with a 28" beam but it even feels maybe a bit tippier because of the light weight. However once seated (or kneeling) it felt fine. Once I head out on that first long portage however none of the rest will matter!

                              Cheers,

                              Aaron

                              Congratulations on a fine job! Glad the weather let you get it into the water this season, even if just barely. That first time afloat in your new boat--isn't that a great feeling?
                              Jim

                              --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, AARON WOOD <a_wood_@...> wrote:

                              > So I finally got my boat in the water! Just a short paddle, but it does indeed
                              > float :-) For those of you who haven't seen it recently here's the link. I may
                              > put an album up on the group site soon but haven't yet.
                              >
                              > Cheers all and Merry Christmas!
                              >
                              > Aaron

                            • AARON WOOD
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 30, 2010
                                No, still haven't uploaded any pictures to the group, planning on getting to that!  Still just the facebook album for now.

                                I made mine without the keel as I was hoping for more manouvreability, but it still tracks better than any canoe I have.  I just put the cutwaters on for protection when beaching.  If I have to add a keel later for protection I will,  but we'll see..