Epoxy, Paint and Wood

  • boothbayboater
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 16, 2010
      FYI – I used MAS epoxy when I put together an Annapolis wherry from Chesapeake boats (clcboats.com). I seemed very good and did not darken. I would use it again as a back up to my kit from Geodesic.

      Just a thought here, has anyone "painted" their entire framework with epoxy and then finished over that with cetol or whatever? Seems to me I had to "paint" the wherry either inside or out, or both, with epoxy as part of their recommended process. If I do not epoxy the whole thing I will probably use a product called SEMCO that I have used in the past.

      As another comment I think I have settled on using ash or oak for the ribs on my Classic 12 but will probably use cypress on the stringers. I just like the cypress durability.
    • Peter
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 16, 2010
        My experience with Gorilla glue:
        http://www.sintacha.com/2010/01/black-fly-dinghy.html

        --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, "boothbayboater" <northco@...> wrote:

        > FYI – I used MAS epoxy when I put together an Annapolis wherry from Chesapeake boats (clcboats.com). I seemed very good and did not darken. I would use it again as a back up to my kit from Geodesic.
        >
        > Just a thought here, has anyone "painted" their entire framework with epoxy and then finished over that with cetol or whatever? Seems to me I had to "paint" the wherry either inside or out, or both, with epoxy as part of their recommended process. If I do not epoxy the whole thing I will probably use a product called SEMCO that I have used in the past.
        >
        > As another comment I think I have settled on using ash or oak for the ribs on my Classic 12 but will probably use cypress on the stringers. I just like the cypress durability.

      • Bassman4940
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 17, 2010
          In answer to your question about painting the framework with epoxy.  I did exactly that using the epoxy resin from West Marine, and the results were absolutely awful!  Though tough as nails, the appearance was milky/cloudy, and uneven.   You can't even see the wood grain and I regret ever using it.    However, I may have gotten those poor results from my own error by applying it on a somewhat humid day.
            Granted, this stuff it tough as nails, but that made it impossible to sand down to bare wood and start over again.
           If you DO go with epoxy, try it out on a small test area that doesn't show and don't make the same mistake that I did!

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 17, 2010
            That has not been my experience with epoxy.
            My baidarka's frame was covered with epoxy and then 2 coats of polyurethane finish to protect against UV.
            See through well; looks decent, main thing is that epoxy just feels 'plasticky', is heavy and expensive.
            My next frame is just going to be covered in oil.

            Hajo
            --
            "Irrationally held truths may be more harmful than reasoned errors." (Thomas H. Huxley)