Classic 12 wood choice

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 20, 2010
      Just received my classic 12 plans and partial kit, watched the video and read some recommendations on using green ash or oak. I was wondering what thoughts there might be regarding using cypress or cedar? The boat will be built in my garage just south of Jacksonville, FL over the next few months. There seems to be sources of cypress and cedar nearby. I like the idea of using cypress or cedar for their long term durability but wonder if I need the ash or oak because they are harder woods. Peter
    • a_wood_@rogers.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 20, 2010
        Peter,

        In the plans that I have Platt discussed the option of using softwood for the ribs. He just recommends increasing the size of the pieces to increase strength.

        I really actually put off building my boat for a long time over sourcing wood (I was looking for green ash). I considered the softwood option as well. In the end I used some old (20 years) and very dry ash. I just steamed it longer and it bent very nicely.

        Maybe someone here has tried the softwood ribs and can comment. In the meantime you could look for scrap (or new) hardwood flooring. Oak is very similar to ash to work with and its usually easily found. The home depot near me even has oak stock for sale, and you don't need that much material for the ribs, especially if you use a thin kerf blade.

        I used cedar for all the stringers on my boat for the same reason, the longevity factor. Bottom line, I think cedar or cypress will work just fine if you size it up some, but my preference would still be the ask or oak if you can get it.

        Long non-answer to a short question!

        Cheers,

        Aaron

        From: "Peter" <northco@...>
        Sender: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 16:34:17 -0000
        To: <Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [Airolite_Boats] Classic 12 wood choice

        Just received my classic 12 plans and partial kit, watched the video and read some recommendations on using green ash or oak. I was wondering what thoughts there might be regarding using cypress or cedar? The boat will be built in my garage just south of Jacksonville, FL over the next few months. There seems to be sources of cypress and cedar nearby. I like the idea of using cypress or cedar for their long term durability but wonder if I need the ash or oak because they are harder woods. Peter

      • Hajo Smulders

          From: "Peter" <northco@...>
          Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 16:34:17 -0000

          Just received my classic 12 plans and partial kit, watched the video and read some recommendati...

        • Bob Kay McIntosh
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 20, 2010

            Peter…  I am finishing up a Classic 12 ---  tacking down the Kevlar in preparation to cover…  I used Oak for my rigs and ash for my stringers…  I preferred the idea of a smaller dimension on those parts which is why I did not use Pine or Fir which we have in abundance here in the Seattle area…   Good luck and if you have questions don’t hesitate to chat…  Bob

            From: "Peter" <northco@...>

            Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 16:34:17 -0000

            Just received my classic 12 plans and partial kit, watched the video and read some recommendati...

          • boothbayboater
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 21, 2010
              Thanks for the help on wood choices. I'll probably continue to look for ash or use oak for the ribs. I'm still vacillating on the long stringers may still consider cypress.
            • Bob Kay McIntosh
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 21, 2010

                I used spruce on the long stringers, and as mentioned, oak on the ribs …  think I said ash the other day, but was cornfused …  meant spruce.  The boat is quite sturdy and now that Kevlar mostly on, very little flex at all …   Bob

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 21, 2010
                  I used spruce on the stirngs and ash on the ribs.  Came out great.  The ash steamed easily.
                  Beau Schless
                  NOTEbookS Library Automation
                  (978) 443-2996
                  http://www.rasco.com

                  From:        "Bob Kay McIntosh" <bkmcintosh@...>
                  To:        <Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com>
                  Date:        11/21/2010 01:35 PM
                  Subject:        RE: [Airolite_Boats] Re: Classic 12 wood choice
                  Sent by:        Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

                  I used spruce on the long stringers, and as mentioned, oak on the ribs …  think I said ash the other day, but was cornfused …  meant spruce.  The boat is quite sturdy and now that Kevlar mostly on, very little flex at all …   Bob

                  [Airolite_Boats] Re: Classic 12 wood choice