Bug4 Plans

  • engineerjames2
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 4, 2007
      I am currently trying to find other plans than the ones provided on the
      site. I uploaded all the necessary things and still cannot get the file
      to open. It keeps coming up with a message saying it (e-drawings)
      cannot support it. Does anyone happen to have a copy of these plans
      they could e-mail me?

      ATTN: Part list downloaded, and printed.
    • red
      Message 33 of 33 , May 4, 2007
        Rex,
        Well, Utah is something of a backwater for aviation. As you
        enter the state, a small sign on the roadside says "Welcome to Utah.
        Please set your watch back fifty years." Ironically, what was once a
        joke, now doesn't sound so bad to me... :-)
        Assembling a QuadraPlane from separate wing panels just would
        not catch on, even here. It definitely was the designer's baby, and was
        never intended for the market. It was indeed a reliable unit, but
        performance was never equal to the better Rogallo Hang Gliders of the
        day, let alone the rigid-wing HGs. It was probably fairly heavy on the
        ground, too. Remember, this was what the "other" rigid-wing HGs looked
        like, back then:

        http://www.xmission.com/~red/history/fledg1B.jpg

        Klaus Hill (the Fledgling designer) lived in the same small town
        as Larry Hall.
        Ragwing pilots used to give me flak about assembling my
        ("complicated") Fledgling with a dozen ribs, two pins and the drag
        rudders. (Lately, these same guys are now stuffing 31 ribs into a
        modern blade-wing HG, so go figure... :-)
        I could make my Fledgling stay down with the QuadraPlane in
        normal flight, if I was flying fast enough, and/or holding both rudders
        out about halfway, as drag brakes. You needed to be careful, flying
        around that QuadraPlane, because it could instantly pivot on a wingtip
        without stalling, from level flight; the Fledgling liked to make bigger,
        sweeping turns, more like a sailplane.
        Really, I think the biggest drawback is transporting the
        QuadraPlane, on the roads. It fills a big SUV, even as separate wing
        panels; built like a Riser, it would probably need a trailer. Still, it
        would make one unique airchair, if you put the right landing gear under
        it.
        --
        If there is an "A" in my email address,
        please delete the A to respond.