Square Chair

  • kmatti2001
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 3, 2006
      Hope everyone had a good New Years. I spent some time over the
      holiday break putting together my airchair. I think I will call it
      Square Chair 1. I had some 2" square aluminum and using the
      dimensions of the Goat2 drawings I am making up a nose section out
      of that. When I get it together I will put up a picture. The wings
      and tail section will be close to the drawings. I'm making more
      than just a nose section, because it will include the wing attach
      portion also, so I won't be making cabane struts that go on the
      wings. It won't fold, but I'll just put the whole thing in my
      trusty F250. I canabalized my UPX 160 hang glider. It has nice
      carbon fiber tubes and other goodies I can use. I won't need to buy
      any tubing lengths over 8 ft so I can use regular shipping versus
      truck. I have a couple of leads on some training hills here in
      Virginia, so hopefully this summer I can give it a try on those. If
      it flies well, I will try scooter towing or car towing at low
      atltutdes and hopefullly graduate up to aero tow. I would also like
      to launch off of some mountain launches here on the East coast, but
      first I'll see if I got the CG and everything worked out right on
      the training hill,since I am making some pretty big changes.

      Ken
    • William Lambdin
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 4, 2006
        Ken,

        I'm in Virginia too--Amherst to be exact--about half way between Lynchburg and Charrlotesville.  I have the drawings for the Goat 1 and would like to build and fly one 'soon', although I have a Challenger II I'm currently restoring-which will take some time.  I also fly a Loehle Sport Parasol that I built that's a ball to fly.  Makes me want to throw rocks at the Cessnas I rent--now, only infrequently.

        There is a hang gliding operation close by here and a fellow with a trike who tows gliders up.  We also have a mountain about 10 miles from here where hang gliders 'jump for joy', with a ramp on both the West and East slopes.

        I have a hanger and grass field about 1100' from which I fly and am considering 4wheeler towing for the Goat1- yet to be built.  I find all the modification conversations very interesting and look forward to your progress reports.

        Good luck,

        Lanny

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 5, 2006
          Lanny,

          I will keep you updated. When I go to the training hill I will let
          you know. Any training hills around where you live? I'm almost
          finished with an early Bird Jenny. Been that way for a while now,
          since the closest affordable and available hanger space is a long
          ways away. I hope to get it flying this summer if I can convince
          the ultraight folks up in Glouchester to let me fly off of their
          field. If they do, I will modify the fuselage, so I can trialer it
          with the wings set up.

          Ken

          BTW, I live on Langley AFB in Hampton.

          --- In Airchairgroup@yahoogroups.com, William Lambdin
          <lambdingersp@y...> wrote:

          > Ken,
          >
          > I'm in Virginia too--Amherst to be exact--about half way between
          Lynchburg and Charrlotesville. I have the drawings for the Goat 1
          and would like to build and fly one 'soon', although I have a
          Challenger II I'm currently restoring-which will take some time. I
          also fly a Loehle Sport Parasol that I built that's a ball to fly.
          Makes me want to throw rocks at the Cessnas I rent--now, only
          infrequently.

          > There is a hang gliding operation close by here and a fellow
          with a trike who tows gliders up. We also have a mountain about 10
          miles from here where hang gliders 'jump for joy', with a ramp on
          both the West and East slopes.

          > I have a hanger and grass field about 1100' from which I fly and
          am considering 4wheeler towing for the Goat1- yet to be built. I
          find all the modification conversations very interesting and look
          forward to your progress reports.

          > Good luck,
          >
          > Lanny
          >
          > kmatti2001 <zeuson@c...> wrote:
          > Hope everyone had a good New Years. I spent some time over the
          > holiday break putting together my airchair. I think I will call
          it
          > Square Chair 1. I had some 2" square aluminum and using the
          > dimensions of the Goat2 drawings I am making up a nose section out
          > of that. When I get it together I will put up a picture. The
          wings
          > and tail section will be close to the drawings. I'm making more
          > than just a nose section, because it will include the wing attach
          > portion also, so I won't be making cabane struts that go on the
          > wings. It won't fold, but I'll just put the whole thing in my
          > trusty F250. I canabalized my UPX 160 hang glider. It has nice
          > carbon fiber tubes and other goodies I can use. I won't need to
          buy
          > any tubing lengths over 8 ft so I can use regular shipping versus
          > truck. I have a couple of leads on some training hills here in
          > Virginia, so hopefully this summer I can give it a try on those.
          If
          > it flies well, I will try scooter towing or car towing at low
          > atltutdes and hopefullly graduate up to aero tow. I would also
          like
          > to launch off of some mountain launches here on the East coast,
          but
          > first I'll see if I got the CG and everything worked out right on
          > the training hill,since I am making some pretty big changes.
          >
          > Ken
          >

          > Link to Airchair main page for archives, files and photos
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Airchairgroup/

          > Aviation school Aviation training Aviation training
          school Aviation training schools Aviation training academy
          Ultralight glider

          Service.

          > ---------------------------------
          >

          > ---------------------------------

        • William Lambdin
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 7, 2006
            Ken,

            Yes, there is a training hill at Dixon's field, the one I told you has a trike and tows gliders.

            At a Sun 'N Fun I sat in a fuselage of the Early Bird Jenny and liked the plane.  There have been some good articles done on the plane over the years.  I've also attended the ultralight field near Glouchester, Hodgins, I think, some time back.  Also visited a local farmer/instructor, named Bubba, who gave instruction in a Rans S12.  My brother used to live in Glouchester and in the summer of 1992, I started building my Sport Parasol in his garage and with his help.

            Good luck on both projects(airchair & Jenny). Keep in touch.

            Lanny

            <lambdingersp@y...> wrote:

> [...]
            > it flies well, I will try scooter towing or car towing at low
            > atltutdes and hopefullly graduate up to aero tow.  I would also
            like
            > to launch off of some mountain launches here on the East coast,
            but
            > first I'll see if I got the CG and everything worked out right on
            > the training hill,since I am making some pretty big changes.
            >
            > Ken
            >

            > Link to Airchair main page for archives, files and photos
            > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Airchairgroup/

            >         Aviation school   Aviation training   Aviation training
            school     Aviation training schools   Aviation training academy
            Ultralight glider

            Service.

            > ---------------------------------
            >

            > ---------------------------------
            >  Yahoo! DSL Something to write home about. Just $16.99/mo. or less

          • kmatti2001
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 24, 2006
              All,

              Put some pictures of the square chair fuselage in the filed called
              square chair. The front and back supports are not on yet. The seat
              is made of 4130. It will probably be heavier then a regular goat, but
              I hope by not too much.

              Ken
            • Mark Evans
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 25, 2006
                Looks nice Ken.

                Are you building from plans, or on your own, or a combo?

                Just wandering as I presently fly A powered Paraglider and was thinking
                about building a cart for it. There are no plans available for this but
                working in square Aluminum looks fairly easy even for someone like me. (I
                built a bird house in shop class and the fair housing commission condemned
                it)

                Is there a web site dealing with working with square "tube" for AC use?

                Thanx

                Mark L Evans

                Put some pictures of the square chair fuselage in the filed called
                square chair. The front and back supports are not on yet. The seat
                is made of 4130. It will probably be heavier then a regular goat, but
                I hope by not too much.

                Ken

                Link to Airchair main page for archives, files and photos
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Airchairgroup/
                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • kmatti2001
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 25, 2006
                  Mark,

                  I've studied a few plans that use square tubes, like the
                  affordaplane, Petit Breezy and the the Turner Craft. I also did a
                  lot of thinking about building a trike for a double place hangglider
                  I have, which I think would make a pretty good airchair, too. It is
                  pretty straight forward to work with, but might be a bit heavey for
                  a paraglider trike. Of course that depends on how strong an engine
                  you have. I worked up the fuselage for my squarechair with no
                  plans, but I used the Goat drawings for deminsions and the like. I
                  hopefully have got the cg right and have the wheel in the right
                  place so like the Goat so you will no if you sit in it and the nose
                  drops you have a good CG.

                  Ken

                  --- In Airchairgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Evans" <vivovoyager@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Looks nice Ken.
                  >
                  > Are you building from plans, or on your own, or a combo?
                  >
                  > Just wandering as I presently fly A powered Paraglider and was
                  thinking
                  > about building a cart for it. There are no plans available for
                  this but
                  > working in square Aluminum looks fairly easy even for someone like
                  me. (I
                  > built a bird house in shop class and the fair housing commission
                  condemned
                  > it)
                  >
                  > Is there a web site dealing with working with square "tube" for AC
                  use?

                  > Thanx
                  >
                  > Mark L Evans

                • Mark Evans
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 26, 2006
                    Thanx for the response Ken, I will look into these plans to "glean"
                    knowledge from.

                    Mark e.

                    wrote:

                    > Looks nice Ken.
                    >
                    > Are you building from plans, or on your own, or a combo?
                    >
                    > Just wandering as I presently fly A powered Paraglider and was
                    thinking
                    > about building a cart for it. There are no plans available for
                    this but
                    > working in square Aluminum looks fairly easy even for someone like
                    me. (I
                    > built a bird house in shop class and the fair housing commission
                    condemned
                    > it)
                    >
                    > Is there a web site dealing with working with square "tube" for AC
                    use?

                    > Thanx
                    >
                    > Mark L Evans

                  • Chris balla
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 27, 2006
                      Hi,
                      My name is Chris I'm looking to build a glider. Is
                      there someone who can help me out and this project.
                      I'm trying contact Mike S.

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Chris balla
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 27, 2006
                        Hi Mike,
                        My name is Chris and I'm looking to build an
                        ultralight.
                        I'm 30 yrs old and my passion for flyght start wen I
                        was a litlle kid,inside the cockpit with my dad as a
                        comercial pilot for a company name VARIG in Brazil.
                        Today I'm living here in San Diego,and I now I'm
                        more then redy to build and fly my own aircaft.(I have
                        nowhow in 10 yrs of carpentry , I have build and fly
                        few model airplanes and 5hrs of fly leson)
                        I'm resarching and I would like to seat,talk to now
                        more and learn with you.
                        When you have same time please let me now.
                        Thanks
                        Christian

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Michael Hesterberg
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 1, 2006
                          Hello Ken,
                          Where are the files everyone says they put pix into?
                          I want to see the squarechair and the bum, but can't
                          find any links to the "files"
                          Thanks
                          Mike Hesterberg
                          <mihes@...>