Re: Hey everyone!

  • nicnicholson
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 19, 2013
      Mihai, your parts look great.

      I would love to see photos of any jigs you have made! Can you post photos?

      -nic

      --- In Airchairgroup@yahoogroups.com, "mish_dood" <mihaiforna@...> wrote:

      > Hellow ,
      > I oused a small angle grinder to cut(with 1mm cuting disc) and grind (with sand paper disc) to final shape the parts, and i made around 8 parts in 3 hours, in toatal i worked around 50 hours.
      > I purchased a 2x2feet 1/8 thick sheet of 6061t6 and cut it with guillotine to specified widh in the drawings, so i had 1/2, 3/4,... to 2 inch flat bars. All my parts made frome flat bars cost was 35 euro (the 2x2feet sheet), and had verry little scrap material.
      > To drill perpendicular holes i buit a sliding braket for a power drill and basicly made up a driling machine, i have posted some pictures the "romanian goat" in picture section.
      > I buit myself all the jigs and tools to make my work easier.
      > So be creative, think and you will find solutions.
      >
      > Best regarde , Mihai
      >

      > --- In Airchairgroup@yahoogroups.com, Brian Huffaker <bifft@> wrote:
      > >
      > > On Thu, 7 Mar 2013, nicnicholson wrote:
      > >
      > > > All right Red, I have an answer for you!

      > > > That photo represents about 65 hours of work on the mill--about 230
      > > > parts. I made a lot of them in double quantity because I'm intending to
      > > > make a second plane down the line, for my son.
      > > >
      > > > I'd say, if you want to save a LOT of time, all of these parts "need"
      > > > to be made on a mill. (I know that's not what you meant--it's true that
      > > > a mill is not required.)
      > > >

      > > Nice looking parts. To help people quantify how much time the mill
      > > saved, I've made lots of similar parts for my RV, using hacksaw, file and
      > > drill. Takes 1/2 to 2 hours or so each, what with measuring, marking,
      > > cutting, filing and drilling. I've thought about getting a mill, but in
      > > addition to the mill cost, I would need to get the tooling. Building a
      > > kit it doesn't seem like it would save enough time to justify the cost to
      > > me. Even scratch building a goat, it is simple enough that I don't know
      > > how I'd go. And as for selling after, I never seem to get rid of tools.
      > > :)
      > >

      > > Brian Huffaker, DSWL (bifft@)
      > > RV-8A 80091 hooking up engine
      > > 1/4 Starduster II N23UT down for overhaul

    • bhurlbutt2
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 20, 2013
        I have a friend who was a welder in Alaska and worked on aluminum fishing boats. He used an angle grinder for surface prep. According to him, spaying the disk with Pam keeps the aluminum from loading into the surface. I've never tried it, never needed to.

        Bill

        --- In Airchairgroup@yahoogroups.com, "nicnicholson" <nicnicholson@...> wrote:

        > Red, you probably meant this too, but I wanted to be more specific. NEVER use a rotary grinder to shape aluminum for exactly the same reason. Aluminum will embed into the grinder. Next time you grind steel, the aluminum gets hot, expands, and the wheel flies apart.
        >
        > I've seen the photos of the aftermath, so don't do it.
        >
        > People may not have pictured a grinder as being the same thing as a "cutting disk" and I thought it would be worth elaborating.
        >
        > -nic

      • mish_dood
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 21, 2013
          Hellow,

          Thank you, i will make some photos of my driling machine, cuting jigs, and braket for angle grinder for cuting.
          For shaping foam i have a 1 meter wide hot titanium whire cutter
          home made.

          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 21, 2013
            HEY,
            thank you for the info, i know that cutting aluminum with angle grinder issen't quite right, but i was verry verry caution, about heating when cutting and losing heat tretment, i diden't expect that, so i'l be carefull to chill the metal when gets hot (and not ouse angle grinder).
            Verry good advince, thank you

            --- In Airchairgroup@yahoogroups.com, "red" <red@...> wrote:

            > Mihai,
            >
            > Scott makes a good point, but rather bluntly. It is okay to use a
            > table saw to cut aluminum (using an aluminum-cutting saw blade), because the
            > saw-teeth shear out small chips, and the remaining material does not get too
            > hot. This sawing process is also better than a tube-cutter on aluminum
            > tubing, because there is less bending stress on the metal being cut.
            >
            > You need to know that the edge of a cutting disk will get very hot,
            > and melted metal will soak into the pores of the disk. This metal is being
            > driven into the disk edge under great force, and pressure will build up in
            > the cutting disk after making a few cuts. When this metal-pressure gets too
            > high, the disk will explode, and sharp pieces will be hurled in every
            > direction. This explosion can be very dangerous, especially to your eyes.
            > An eye shield will not be enough protection, there.
            >
            > Please do not use a cutting disk on softer metals such as aluminum
            > or copper. Please verify this information with any metal-workers who live
            > in your area.
            >
            > Rounding the corners and the edge-shaping of aluminum parts can be
            > done with a belt sander, because the belt will not "load up" with molten
            > metal, and the belt is soft enough to spit out metal shards. It will still
            > be necessary to cool the parts being worked on the belt-sander, by dipping
            > the part in a bowl of water, to prevent losing the temper of the metal.
            >
            > Best wishes,
            > Red

          • nicnicholson
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 21, 2013
              "For shaping foam i have a 1 meter wide hot titanium whire cutter home made."

              I want one of those! Where did you find titanium wire?

              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 22, 2013
                Hey,

                Well, i have it from a company that makes styrofoam blocks.
                I went there and asked with what do they cut the styrofoam, and they said titamnium whire and gave me a sample (3m).At 1 meter it needs 50V AC to cut foam , but you can go higher around 55 to 60v depending how dense is the foam, but don't get the whire red hot, it melts the foam around it.
                The bad side is that after around 150 cuts the whire lose its electrical propreties and does not heat that strong any more.
                The jig has the whire fixed at one end, and at the other is tensioned with a spring.
                This is all about it.

              • Scott Perkins
                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 22, 2013
                  I always thought nichrome ( nickle-chromium) wire was best for
                  heating elements and electric heaters and foam cutting wire etc.
                  Scott

> [...]
                  > make my work easier.
                  > solutions.

                  > answer for you!

                  > hours of work on the mill--about 230
                  > them in double quantity because I'm intending to
                  > line, for my son.

                  > LOT of time, all of these parts "need"
                  > know that's not what you meant--it's true that

                  > parts.  To help people quantify how much time the mill
                  > parts for my RV, using hacksaw, file and
                  > or so each, what with measuring, marking,
                  > I've thought about getting a mill, but in
                  > need to get the tooling.  Building a
                  > save enough time to justify the cost to
                  > goat, it is simple enough that I don't know
                  > selling after, I never seem to get rid of tools.

                  > DSWL (bifft@)
                  > hooking up engine
                  > N23UT down for overhaul

                  > .
                  > Link to Mike Sandlin's BUG (Basic Ultralight Glider)

                • David Downey
                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 22, 2013
                    used because it is oxidation resistant and takes the high load for keeping the wire taut while red hot. I never used anything thicker than 0.025" though... And a nice rheostat works better than Burt Rutan's wire loom voltage divider to tune the amperage through the wire...
                    Deividi (Downey) 215-527-5899
                    Quando a saudade nao cabe no peito transborda nos olhos! Oi Brasil!