Re: Should've been at work....but

  • alanbeavis
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 23, 2012
      Hi Bob,

      There's not much I can think of that I would do different to what I have built and what I have already documented. I like the idea of using anti-servo tabs on the ailerons (like on the Italian Aviad) to reduce the aerodynamic forces and I may experiment with that at some stage.
      I would've liked to have had a bit more leeway with the final weight of the Goat and the reglatory 70kg, but sticking with the strutted configuration and increasing the spar thicknesses didn't give me much room without major design changes.

      The eagle hasn't been as aggressive this season. It was out hassling the trikes the other evening, but so far has left the Goat alone.

      I do have an oxygen system that I used on my hang glider in the Owens Valley CA back in 1992 at the PreWorlds Comp, but the cylinder would be out of date now. If I do get a photo of a Boeing below me I doubt I will be publishing it, you never know who's watching :)

      cheers Alan
      --- In Airchairgroup@yahoogroups.com, "arkyav8r" <mcbride_bob@...> wrote:

      > Alan,
      > Once again, you post a fantastic video of your beautiful goat doing what it seems to do best. That tow looks like a "work up a sweat tow", working that stick like a pump jack handle. Even with all of the obvious turbulence, I'm hard pressed to observe much flexure in the airframe. After touch down the LE/Nose cable can be seen relaxing, but that is expected. You are a great inspiration to GOAT fans around the world. I've read along as you went and know you made some changes. I'm curious that if now with benefit of flight and ground handling experience, you would consider having done anything else different or making any changes in the future?
      > Have you had any more encounters with the eagles? That's got to get the heart rate up a little!
      > Keep up the great work. I'm half-way round the planet, but you manage to make me feel as if I'm right there with you. Thanks for sharing. Have you thought about where to mount the Oxy bottle? I'm looking forward to your first XC video from high altitude with the obligatory Boeing in the distance at a lower altitude. You wrapped up and "on the bottle".
      > Thanks for the inspiration.
      > Enjoy the Boomers,
      > Bob
      >
      > --- In Airchairgroup@yahoogroups.com, "alanbeavis" <alanbeavis@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Tim,
      > > I had to be able to spell Archyaeopteryx before I was allowed to fly it, so I learnt fairly quickly :)
      > > cheers Alan
      > >

      > > --- In Airchairgroup@yahoogroups.com, Tim <tbertw@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Alan,
      > > >
      > > > I LOVE your Yando Goat videos!!!!!
      > > >
      > > > You built a "beautiful" Goat, take great videos and seem to be a VERY
      > > > GOOD pilot.
      > > >
      > > > I have only one question. How long did it take you to learn to spell
      > > > Archaeopteryx?
      > > >
      > > > Tim - Spring, TX
      > > > Quicksilver MX

    • arkyav8r
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 25, 2012
        Hey Alan,
        Yeah, I'm pretty sure that bottle has passed it's expiration date. Are the ailerons really that heavy? I saw the tabs on the Italian Aviad, I thought that maybe it was a little overkill, but now I guess not.
        Cheers,