Airfoil Analysis Software

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 15, 2012
      Hello Everyone,

      Can anyone recommend an Airfoil Analysis Tool (Software/Freeware) to use? I prefer Mac OSX but can use Windows. I am new at this area of study and want to learn all I can about Airfoil characteristics and aerodynamics. A software program that is more basic, if possible, is desired to start with. Thanks.
    • Brian Huffaker
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 15, 2012
        On Thu, 15 Nov 2012, Greg wrote:

        > Hello Everyone,
        >
        > Can anyone recommend an Airfoil Analysis Tool (Software/Freeware) to
        >use? I prefer Mac OSX but can use Windows. I am new at this area of study
        >and want to learn all I can about Airfoil characteristics and
        >aerodynamics. A software program that is more basic, if possible, is
        >desired to start with. Thanks.

        The standard is Xfoil:

        http://web.mit.edu/drela/Public/web/xfoil/

        free, text based, not the easiest to use. Another that is also free, and
        a bit easier to use is:

        http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/javafoil.htm

        I wouldn't trust either to predict stall behaviour very well. For an
        airchair, airfoil probably isn't very important. Drag from the
        exposed pilot will swamp that from the wing, so anything reasonable should
        do fine.

        Brian Huffaker, DSWL (bifft@...)
        RV-8A 80091 wiring panel
        1/4 Starduster II N23UT down for overhaul