Old diver pilot needs different set of wings...

  • Glideth
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 7, 2012
      Hello from the middle of nowhere (Blythe CA.) Just found you guys and an airchair sounds like it might be what I am (or will) be needing. I am one of the early (very) Sky Surfers of California. I learned (no body taught me) how to fly in 1969. I am a disabled vet; I was injured while serving our country (Navy) over seas. As the years have gone by my condition has worsened. I had to give up my blade wing. My old UP Predator142 was just too heavy for this old man to pick up. I have a much lighter (and simpler to assemble) WW F-4 on order, but I can see the time coming when I will no longer be able to foot launch. That being said, I am an air junkie, I can no more quit flying than I can breathing. An Airchair looks like it might be just the ticket to allow me to continue to fly. I have several dry lake beds near Blythe where I could tow up from.
      I see there are several different designs out there. How do they compare performance wise verses the ease of fabrication?

      Lyle (Andy) Anderson
      USHGA Hang-4 #975
      Bamboo Bomber –Freeflight 17 ft STD – Cal Gliders Moth 18 ft STD - Cal Gliders 19X16 Short Keel - UP Dragonfly – Cal Gliders WindGypsy Mk 4 – Quicksilver powered hang glider Model "M" -Twenty years later… Wills Wing Falcon- Altair Saturn 167, Predator142,
      Stuntman for hang glider flying segments in 1980s TV series
      Three For The Road
      "Stop! Wait a minute…you want to "pay me" to fly my hang glider??? YES THERE IS A GOD!!!
    • William Brewer
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 8, 2012
             I haven't seen any responses to this, which makes me wonder.
             A friend of mine who is a professional test pilot just broke his foot/ankle in a paraglider. Nature didn't intend for humans to use their feet as landing gear. Maybe take-off gear, but not landing.
             I have been a licensed power and sailplane pilot for 35 years. Power flying kind of scares me now. You can get yourself into a lot of trouble fast. A few years ago I generated an AD (airworthiness directive from the FAA) when a rudder centering spring broke and the rudder pedal kicked my leg hard. If I had been turning base to final I might have spun in. The cost of renting sailplanes and paying for tows is prohibitive. I have been gravitating towards foot launched sailplanes and airchairs for a while now.
             I like lake bed auto-towing. Here is a video I made at Coyote Dry Lake (near Barstow). Lots of Red GOAT action.

             http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VGGt2l0yuI

             From what I have seen, a GOAT is the way to go. Hill launchable, auto-towable, buildable and pretty safe. Floyd Fronius once told me that he thought the GOAT 1 flies best. We have a GOAT 4 where I work and with the amount of rigging wires it has it looks like it would be difficult to set-up and take down.
             I have thought about a ULF-1 UL sailplane, but it looks complicated to build and fragile. I still would like to try one someday.
             Airchairs tow slow.
             Have fun and let us know what you do.

             -Bill in Tehachapi

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 9, 2012
          Hi Lyle

          I am also an airjunky, fly hanggliders since 1985.. now my prefered way
          to go up are gyros and powered paragliders.
          only my old funfex-glider is in use, with an electric nano-trike for
          easy start. due on my disabled feet I can`t handle a foot-start. I can
          do round trips with about 30min duration, enough fun for me!

          since a short time the <120kg MTOW microlight are very liberal ruled in
          germany, my next projekt is an airchair, electric propulsed indeed.

          will buy a kit from http://www.aviad.it/ and hopefully fly next year.
          Maybe you will do the same ;-)

          Always happy landings!
        • Paul Dewhurst
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 9, 2012
            Hi Wurpfel

            My friends in Germany in DULV tell me that the120kg regulation is ok for trikes but a big headache for fixedwing, and there is currently no good solution - seem to be caught in a right stupid vicious circle as regards regulation . Might be worth contacting Jo Konrad in DULV to find out what is possible just now before building something and finding that it cant be legally flown!

            Paul

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 11, 2012
                   Yeah, I would get regular gliding lessons in a sailplane first, especially with ground launching. You can get in a lot of trouble fast.
                   I think that airchairs are the way to go.

                   -Bill in Tehachapi

              Hey Bill good to hear from you.  I am somewhat leery of 3 axis control.  My old Quicksilver was weight shift control petty much a Model “C” Quicksilver HG with a stronger keel to support a motor and some wheels.  As soon as they started putting engines on them, they wanted bigger engines and then they went double surface and 3 axis control (Quicksilver “MX”) and that is when pilots started kill themselves.  The old Single surface weight shift Quick has to be one of the most docile forgiving ultralights ever built.  Case in point here is way I learned.  I was over in Phoenix AZ and I saw a bunch of these things in an open area (now covered with houses) so I went over to look.  No one was around this one and I started walking around it checking it out.  A guy came up and started extolling the virtues of the craft (he worked for U.S. HangGliders).  I asked him what was the glide ratio and he stopped talking, looked at me “you fly a hang glider?”  I responded with a yes.  He asked “do you want to fly it?”  I was like “For sure dude…what do I do?”  Here is my entire training on flying ultralights which took place in 30 seconds or so as I strapped in the swing seat (it had the word Sears molded into it.)  “Ok, hold the bar in give it full throttle and when it kinda starts getting light, push out.  Oh, and don’t let off the throttle when you leave the ground.”  I ordered a kit as soon as I landed.  But I am a purest.  I HATE the noise of a motor.  I want to soar in silence (Motor up turn off, that sound cool).  I have an option to get a Quicksilver “M” for free.  All the parts are there, but by the time I buy a new sail and replace old flight wires etc.  I would have a flying piece of HG history when done, but I want/NEED to soar for hours on end…I think an AirChair would allow this.
              As I said, I taught myself how to fly I have a lot of scars and missing teeth to show for it.  Where can I get training to fly an AirChair?  Or do you just learn to fly a regular sailplane and then transition over to your AirChair?

              Thanks for the come back and cool video!!!  And yea, ParaGliders scare me too!
               Here is a video from back in the day.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ihOOuYoIJ0
              The guy in the white kite at the start...that is me at the ripe old age of 16.  That is also the kite I had while filming Three for the road.

              Andy

              On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 9:35 AM, William Brewer <wsb1960tr3a@...> wrote:
[...]

                   From what I have seen, a GOAT is the way to go. Hill launchable, auto-towable, buildable and pretty safe. Floyd Fronius once told me that he thought the GOAT 1 flies best. We have a GOAT 4 where I work and with the amount of rigging wires it has it looks like it would be difficult to set-up and take down.
                   I have thought about a ULF-1 UL sailplane, but it looks complicated to build and fragile. I still would like to try one someday.
                   Airchairs tow slow.
                   Have fun and let us know what you do.

                   -Bill in Tehachapi

            • red
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 11, 2012
                Message
                Campers,

                    DIY three-axis computer simulator (enclosure is optional)

                    HangSim is still at it, with new planes, HGs, and ultralights.  There is a free (five minute) demo that you can re-start, to continue with the same flight, although you will lose the thermal, if you were flying in one.  Thermals can be visible (with cottonwood seeds), or invisible, in the Sim.  Every "Page Up" keystroke adds 100 feet of altitude, in flight.  Click where it says "Fly Now" to start the Sim.  Needs MS-DirectX (also free, linked on the download page).

                    Just one ol' HG pilot to another.   :-)

                Cheers,
                Red