Re: [Airchairgroup] Re: Roger's bonded aluminium ideas

  • Kent Hugus
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2004
      No name?

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: royroberts2004
      Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 3:32 PM
      To: Airchairgroup@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Airchairgroup] Re: Roger's bonded aluminium ideas

      This discussion peaked my interest so I did some research into the
      Lotus  aluminum bonding method.  While it is true that the present
      Lotus is built using a very complicated bonding system it appears they
      have just entered into a joint venture with another automotive company
      to produce a mass market car using bonded aluminum.  In that project
      they anounced they would be using a new glue from Dow that bonds at
      room temp in normal atmosphere.  Could prove interesting and the glue
      is available now the car in 2 years.

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/SyTolB/TM

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • royroberts2004
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 5, 2004
        --- In Airchairgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Kent Hugus" <KentHugus@m...>
        wrote:
        > No name?

        Sorry no name. The material I was reading was an automotive industry
        promo blip that was more concerned with the joint venture than the
        method.

        The glued car was more an aside than the principal theme of the
        article.

        They did mention it was made by Dow Chemical. I am still looking for
        more information.

        Roy
      • Steve Butcher
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 5, 2004
          --- royroberts2004 <royroberts2004@...> wrote:

          > The glued car was more an aside than the principal
          theme of the article.

          > They did mention it was made by Dow Chemical. I am
          still looking for more information.

          Roy,

          The Panoz Esperante has a chassis that is bonded with
          a methacrylate adhesive... I'm not certain which
          brand... could be ITW PLEXUS if I'm remembering
          correctly. This is a blurb taken directly from the
          PANOZ site...

          "The chassis and body of this Georgia-bred supercar is
          made almost entirely of aluminum. The lightweight,
          extruded aluminum chassis is adhesively bonded, which
          makes it much stronger than a welded version. "

          METHACRYLATE adhesives... compatible with a wide range
          of substrates including: Stainless Steel, Epoxy Coated
          Surfaces, PVC, ABS, Aluminum,Styrenecs, Steel, Noryl,
          Azloy, Rynite, Valox, Lomod, RIM Urethane, SMC, Xenoy,
          Bexloy, Ceramics and Ferrites.

          The working time could be problematic... 5-6
          minutes!!!

          Hope this helps...

          =====
          Steve
          Crooked River Ranch, OR

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • royroberts2004
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 11, 2004
            > The Panoz Esperante has a chassis that is bonded with
            > a methacrylate adhesive... I'm not certain which
            > brand... could be ITW PLEXUS if I'm remembering
            > correctly. This is a blurb taken directly from the
            > PANOZ site...
            >
            > "The chassis and body of this Georgia-bred supercar is
            > made almost entirely of aluminum. The lightweight,
            > extruded aluminum chassis is adhesively bonded, which
            > makes it much stronger than a welded version. "
            >
            > METHACRYLATE adhesives... compatible with a wide range
            > of substrates including: Stainless Steel, Epoxy Coated
            > Surfaces, PVC, ABS, Aluminum,Styrenecs, Steel, Noryl,
            > Azloy, Rynite, Valox, Lomod, RIM Urethane, SMC, Xenoy,
            > Bexloy, Ceramics and Ferrites.
            >
            > The working time could be problematic... 5-6
            > minutes!!!

            They are a local company. I will see if I can get in touch and find
            out some more info on their process. Thanks for the info