Electric Dragster for Junior class

  • Scott Perkins
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 6, 2012
      http://www.engineeringtv.com/video/All-Electric-Dragsters-at-Lawle;Only-Engineering-TV-Videos%20?NL=ED-04&Issue=ED-04_20120806_ED-04_958&YM_RID=2scott@...&YM_MID=1330652

      All-Electric Dragsters at Lawless Industries

      From Power Electronics Technology

      seems like good enough power to launch gliders etc
    • B
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 8, 2012
        Enough power and you can make a rock fly but isn't the whole package, the weight and drag of the power with it's propellent to be considered too? Can we talk about one without the other when it comes to flying v. freight trains??

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 8, 2012
          What the reference showed me was an indication of the sophistication
          and knowledge involved with the design of an electric purpose built propulsion system. I have no doubt these guys could optimize for
          the mission parameters of glider self launch flight as opposed
          to 11 seconds of a max power dump for a dragster.

          We need to find a way to turn them on to airchairs and then
          see where he takes it with his electric motor experience.

          Maybe we could find some email addresses at their website and
          send some airchair photos and info etc.
          Scott

          > Enough power and you can make a rock fly but isn't the whole
          > package, the weight and drag of the power with it's
          > propellent to be considered too? Can we talk about one
          > without the other when it comes to flying v. freight
          > trains??
          >

          > --- In Airchairgroup@yahoogroups.com,
          > Scott Perkins <2scott@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > http://www.engineeringtv.com/video/All-Electric-Dragsters-at-Lawle;Only-Engineering-TV-Videos%20?NL=ED-04&Issue=ED-04_20120806_ED-04_958&YM_RID=2scott@...&YM_MID=1330652
          > >
          > > All-Electric Dragsters at Lawless Industries
          > >

          > > From Power Electronics Technology
          > >
          > > seems like good enough power to launch gliders etc

          > .
          > Link to Mike Sandlin's BUG (Basic Ultralight Glider)
          > website
          > http://m-sandlin.info/
          > .
          > Link to Wikipedia Airchair
          > http://airchairbuild.wikidot.com/
          > .
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >

          >     Airchairgroup-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        • red
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 8, 2012
            Campers,

            This is launching, and sustained electric flight, in specs for an
            AirChair.

            http://www.electraflyer.com/trike.php

            Cheers,
            Red

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 8, 2012
              That is respectable technical info.... Something I never thought about
              not contained in current FAR 103 specs is the max quantity of batteries
              to be used as fuel. The only thing mentioned is 5 gal of gas max.
              Other than equivalent run time for 5 gal of gas, how could we equate
              a maximum for batteries carried? We would not want to get stuck
              with equal weight as that would only be 30 pounds.

              --- On Wed, 8/8/12, red <red@...> wrote:

              >     This is launching, and sustained electric
              > flight, in specs for an
              > AirChair.
              >
              > http://www.electraflyer.com/trike.php
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Red

            • ricsol2008
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 8, 2012
                Hi,
                254 lbs is the max empty weight, if powered, electric or not. :

                Sec. 103.1 Applicability.

                This part prescribes rules governing the operation of ultralight vehicles
                in the United States. For the purposes of this part, an ultralight vehicle
                is a vehicle that:
                (a) Is used or intended to be used for manned operation in the air by a
                single occupant;
                (b) Is used or intended to be used for recreation or sport purposes only;
                (c) Does not have any U.S. or foreign airworthiness certificate; and
                (d) If unpowered, weighs less than 155 pounds; or
                (e) If powered:
                (1) Weighs less than 254 pounds empty weight, excluding floats and safety
                devices which are intended for deployment in a potentially catastrophic
                situation;
                (2) Has a fuel capacity not exceeding 5 U.S. gallons;
                (3) Is not capable of more than 55 knots calibrated airspeed at full
                power in level flight; and
                (4) Has a power-off stall speed which does not exceed 24 knots calibrated
                airspeed.

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 8, 2012
                  The problem seems to find clearance ,in ihe current Goat design, for the large props electric motors like to spin. With a reduction drive, the Electra Flyer motor takes a 53", 140 lbs prop...
                  But the whole concept is soooo cool. Feasible, with some mods.
                  Cheers.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 9, 2012
                    The approach that would involve the least amount of modification to the design would
                    be to mount a smaller electric engine to the
                    leading spar of each wing.
                    That assumes equal energy/weight/thrust efficiency could be obtained from two
                    smaller electric motors compared to one larger.
                    No doubt the total price would increase.

                  • Ricky Lussier
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 9, 2012
                      Would the batteries be considered fuel then? have one large carrier "tank" to pull for charging...

                      ~Ricky Lussier

                      To: Airchairgroup@yahoogroups.com
                      From: ricsol@...
                      Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 00:37:14 +0000
                      Subject: [Airchairgroup] Re: Electric Trike info

                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 9, 2012
                        And then there's
                        http://www.alisport.com/eu/eng/silent2electro.htm
                        approach with a pliable 1 meter diameter prop.
                        Oh, If I hit the lottery...