nice shots from SHA workshop

  • Scott Perkins
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2004
      SHA = Sailplane Homebuilders Assoc

      These pics received from by Chuck Scrivner are the
      best I have ever seen of an SG-38 type Primary Glider and
      the BUG ( Basic Ultralight Glider ) designed by Mike Sandlin.

      This Primary Glider shows the "skid fin" widely employed back
      in the late 20's which when the king posts were covered gave
      the planes greater rudder authority and required less aileron
      during turns. This was deemed to be safer as there was lesser
      tendency to aileron induced stall during slow flight.
      ( the rudder effect is same as sailboat with keel )
      It was very interesting to read about the thoughts gone
      into making the training gliders the safest they could possibly
      be. ( selection of airfoils same thing )

      There were several successful attempts to add power to the
      Primary Gliders in the 20's and 30's. I still want to do
      it myself with a Briggs or Kohler someday.

      Thanks for the pics Chuck

      ps. cant spell it but these also show beautiful geography
      in Tehachapi ? , California..... look at the windmill generators.
      pretty good clue to constant winds huh ?

      pss. I think the Primary is owned by Gary Osaba. Can anyone confirm?
      whose BUG is this? Mike's ?
    • Scott Perkins