Re: interested in making the goat

  • dbyrd293
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 1, 2012
      Hey All,

      Gillian, I too am new to the group. I've been studying the plans and making sure I understand everything that will be required. I made a parts list of my own, reconciling it to each plan sheet to make sure I didn't miss anything. I started out by ordering all the angle, bar, and channel material and I am in the process of making all the brackets, fittings, etc. I thought this would be a good place to start on my metal working skills! For me, the tail group will be first, simple bends and everything is only 2-dimensional! You get drilling, fileing, bolting, foam, fiberglass, and covering all in one piece!

      As far as drilling perpendicular holes, a few suggestions have already been made. I use a drill press and a V-block. One other jig I use is available from Micro-Mark (on-line). A simple jig that goes into your drill and has a pointer that lines up when you are exactly over-center on a tube, Center Finder for Round Stock.

      I weight in at 225lbs and I'm looking forward to some soaring, the performance might not be the best but it will still be fun. And besides, I like making sawdust and metal shavings in the garage!

      --- In Airchairgroup@yahoogroups.com, William Brewer <wsb1960tr3a@...> wrote:

      > We have a GOAT pilot where I work who flies the Mojave GOAT. He is seen in
      > the cockpit on the yahoo groups GOAT website. I bet that he weighs in the mid
      > 200's. Lighter is better. Maybe Sandlin or Fronius are the guys to ask.
      >
      > -Bill in Tehachapi
      >

      > ________________________________

    • remedydevices
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 1, 2012
        Dear Dbyrd

        I have looked at the plans and I notice they seem to be lacking many of the dimensions. I got a program called Solidworks EDrawings for free, so I could look at the DFX files, and they don't seem any different from the gifs. In fact the Gifs are easier to see.

        I don't find the plans easy to understand, and I am pretty sure I am not a stupid person, but visualizing how those line drawings would look in 3D is something I haven't managed to do yet.

        I've been advertising locally to meet someone who has experience in plane building, and so far one man contacted me, told me he had built two planes, but advised me to talk to someone else!

        I will keep persuing all of this until I make a breakthough, or get bored with the whole thing, whichever comes first.

        Gillian

        --- In Airchairgroup@yahoogroups.com, "dbyrd293" <dbyrd293@...> wrote:

        > Hey All,
        >
        > Gillian, I too am new to the group. I've been studying the plans and making sure I understand everything that will be required. I made a parts list of my own, reconciling it to each plan sheet to make sure I didn't miss anything. I started out by ordering all the angle, bar, and channel material and I am in the process of making all the brackets, fittings, etc. I thought this would be a good place to start on my metal working skills! For me, the tail group will be first, simple bends and everything is only 2-dimensional! You get drilling, fileing, bolting, foam, fiberglass, and covering all in one piece!
        >
        > As far as drilling perpendicular holes, a few suggestions have already been made. I use a drill press and a V-block. One other jig I use is available from Micro-Mark (on-line). A simple jig that goes into your drill and has a pointer that lines up when you are exactly over-center on a tube, Center Finder for Round Stock.
        >
        > I weight in at 225lbs and I'm looking forward to some soaring, the performance might not be the best but it will still be fun. And besides, I like making sawdust and metal shavings in the garage!
        >
        > --- In Airchairgroup@yahoogroups.com, William Brewer <wsb1960tr3a@> wrote:
        > >
        > > We have a GOAT pilot where I work who flies the Mojave GOAT. He is seen in
        > > the cockpit on the yahoo groups GOAT website. I bet that he weighs in the mid
        > > 200's. Lighter is better. Maybe Sandlin or Fronius are the guys to ask.
        > >
        > > -Bill in Tehachapi
        > >

        > > ________________________________

      • b d
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 1, 2012
          Hi Folks,

          I am new to the list too and this Airchair has caught my attention. Is there a place I can get a copy of the plans and how many different models are there and the differences between them?

          Does anyone have one for sale since I would rather fly than build?

          Thanks,

          Bruce

          --
          ""Frugality" is an art form
          "Cheap" is a mental disorder

          Nevada Bruce

        • red
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 2, 2012
            Message
            Bruce,

                Click on the Technical Drawings link, on this page:

                I just added these links into the Yahoo AirChairgroup home page.  Click the top folder, in the LINKS section (for future reference).

            Cheers,
            Red

            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 2, 2012
              Here is a link to an excellent 3D rendering of the Goat. Terrific.

              I used this alot when I started building my Goat to understand how the Nose Section subassemblies related to each other.

              Phil Johnson

              I have looked at the plans and I notice they seem to be lacking many of the dimensions. I got a program called Solidworks EDrawings for free, so I could look at the DFX files, and they don't seem any different from the gifs. In fact the Gifs are easier to see.

              I don't find the plans easy to understand, and I am pretty sure I am not a stupid person, but visualizing how those line drawings would look in 3D is something I haven't managed to do yet.

              I've been advertising locally to meet someone who has experience in plane building, and so far one man contacted me, told me he had built two planes, but advised me to talk to someone else!

              I will keep persuing all of this until I make a breakthough, or get bored with the whole thing, whichever comes first.

              Gillian

              --- In Airchairgroup@yahoogroups.com, "dbyrd293" <dbyrd293@...> wrote:

              > Hey All,
              >
              > Gillian, I too am new to the group. I've been studying the plans and making sure I understand everything that will be required. I made a parts list of my own, reconciling it to each plan sheet to make sure I didn't miss anything. I started out by ordering all the angle, bar, and channel material and I am in the process of making all the brackets, fittings, etc. I thought this would be a good place to start on my metal working skills! For me, the tail group will be first, simple bends and everything is only 2-dimensional! You get drilling, fileing, bolting, foam, fiberglass, and covering all in one piece!
              >
              > As far as drilling perpendicular holes, a few suggestions have already been made. I use a drill press and a V-block. One other jig I use is available from Micro-Mark (on-line). A simple jig that goes into your drill and has a pointer that lines up when you are exactly over-center on a tube, Center Finder for Round Stock.
              >
              > I weight in at 225lbs and I'm looking forward to some soaring, the performance might not be the best but it will still be fun. And besides, I like making sawdust and metal shavings in the garage!
              >
              > --- In Airchairgroup@yahoogroups.com, William Brewer <wsb1960tr3a@> wrote:
              > >
              > > We have a GOAT pilot where I work who flies the Mojave GOAT. He is seen in
              > > the cockpit on the yahoo groups GOAT website. I bet that he weighs in the mid
              > > 200's. Lighter is better. Maybe Sandlin or Fronius are the guys to ask.
              > >
              > > -Bill in Tehachapi
              > >

              > > ________________________________

            • David Mercer
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 2, 2012

                Take the tube you want marked & clamp to a flat table surface. Mark the side with a magic marker then take a square with one leg on the table & one leg on the side of the tube slide it down the side of the tube scratching a line in the marker.(can be done on the other side for a 180 deg mark, Then take a tube of the same size and place it next to the tube you are marking. Mark the top of the tube  with magic marker. Take a straight edge place on top of both tubes and scratch a line in the marker on top of tube. If clamped tube has not moved you now have marks 90 deg. from each other.

                Dave M

                Miami, OK

                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 3, 2012
                  There sure are plenty of ways to mark hole places precisely. I have used a wooden template, with a method described in a drawing I posted a couple of days ago (in the album "Finnish Goat", no more pictures yet). I cannot say if this is more precise than other methods, but a sufficient one.

                  Happy metal drilling,
                  Pekka

                  --- In Airchairgroup@yahoogroups.com, "David Mercer" <drmercer@...> wrote:

                  > Take the tube you want marked & clamp to a flat table surface. Mark the side
                  > with a magic marker then take a square with one leg on the table & one leg
                  > on the side of the tube slide it down the side of the tube scratching a line
                  > in the marker.(can be done on the other side for a 180 deg mark, Then take a
                  > tube of the same size and place it next to the tube you are marking. Mark
                  > the top of the tube with magic marker. Take a straight edge place on top of
                  > both tubes and scratch a line in the marker on top of tube. If clamped tube
                  > has not moved you now have marks 90 deg. from each other.
                  >
                  > Dave M
                  >
                  > Miami, OK
                  >

                  > _____

                • Phils
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 4, 2012
                    Take 2 square blocks of hard wood of the exact same size and drill a hole in the center of them that the tubing will pass through easy but with very little play. Locate and drill a hole through the center and side of one of the square blocks , use a drill press and drill through the block producing a hole that will pass through the center line of the tube. If your blocks are truly square on all sides , this is easy.
                    **Important** Counter sink the bolt head and the nut hole so the bolt and nut dont stick out of the block. This hole should be the size of your bolts that you use, Not real tight but a good fit . On your second block drill your holes the size of your center punch , again , being a good fit with no slop, but easy to get your center punch in and out of
                    Once you locate your first through hole in the tube, center punch it then drill it . Put the block on the tube and fasten it to the tube with a bolt through the counter sunk hole .
                    With the other block you made this is your slider jig for the tube where you can slide this block to any area on the tube to locate and center punch the rest of your holes .
                    By simply turning the tube over ,the square block you attached will now automatically put your holes 90 degrees opposed .
                    Marks on the tube for the bolt hole , only need to be marks in the general area of being 90 degrees apart, That you locate by looking through your center punch hole to line up.
                    To do this, Use a black magic marker with a wide tip to blacken the general area of where your measurement will be , And then Scratch your exact hole center measurement in the black ink by making a line a 1/2 long or so . This makes your line show up good when you are looking through the hole in the block to find it. You center punch it and the rest of the holes to be dilled later when out of the wood block jig by hand or drill press. Save the integrity of the block. Dont use it as a drill guide.
                    As long as your hard wood blocks are true and square, and the holes you drill in them are true and square, and your work surface is nice and flat. Every hole will be exactly 90 degrees through the tube and 90 degrees opposed. All you have to do it turn the tube over and the blocks take care of the rest every time . Paint each side of the block you attach to the tube with different colors so you have a easy reference as to which way you have the tube turned. As you locate each hole, its a good idea to indicate it as to if its through one side only or completely through the tube. Even what size it needs to be, Its easy to get carried away when you start drilling. Its also a good idea to label this part Left or Right .

                    --- In Airchairgroup@yahoogroups.com, Sigma Eta Aero <sigmatero@...> wrote:

                    > Anyone know of a simple, inexpensive jig for drilling holes in tubing that are perpendicular to each other and exactly on centerline?  Not just two holes 180 deg apart and centered, that's easy with a v-block, but at 90 degrees (very accurately)?

                  • Phils
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 5, 2012