Re: My kind of airchair

  • george_rf
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2011
    • 1 Attachment
    • 158 KB
    With this Goat tail, should I call it Supergoater of Goaterfloater ???

  • Nick Jones
    Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2011

      It was originally intended to be a trike buggy – it this the first prototype shell or one made off the production tool now being used as the basis for an airchair? Were any trike buggies ever made?

      I’m curious, how much did the shell end up weighing? I’m interested in comparing the weight of fabric-covered aluminum frame construction with composite.

      Nick Jones

    • Phils
      Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2011
        More than likely, a lack of affordability and cost of Liability insurance to produce them, killed it. Like happens to most things that are Cool and neat .

        I've been toying around with a simple way to make a cockpit pod,
        Using a 4 x 8 sheet of shower wall thin guage plastic rolling it into a large cone , cut the point off the nose and shaping a blunt nose cone in foam that plugs the hole . Once the seat area is cut out it produces "sides" that are easy to shape . And A hot Air gun lets you form it even more in tight areas .
        I havent done this on a full size piece yet, Just in scale using construction paper for now to get the look I want so I can lay out a full size one. But I do have some scraps of the plastic that I have hand heat formed for other projects around the house.

        --- In Airchairgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Jones" <nick.jones@...> wrote:

        > That looks EXACTLY like the Hangbuggy
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hangbuggy (and the poster's name seems to be
        > the same too). The group went dormant about a year ago, and the netfirms
        > cured composites website doesn't exist any more . what happened?
        >

        > It was originally intended to be a trike buggy - it this the first prototype
        > shell or one made off the production tool now being used as the basis for an
        > airchair? Were any trike buggies ever made?
        >

        > I'm curious, how much did the shell end up weighing? I'm interested in
        > comparing the weight of fabric-covered aluminum frame construction with
        > composite.
        >

        > Nick Jones

      • red
        Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2011
          Phils,

          Plastic can be brittle when cold, and softens when hot. Pick the
          stuff that will stand up to extremes of temperature, without warping or
          cracking. Let us know what you come up with.

          Cheers,
          Red

          More than likely, a lack of affordability and cost of Liability
          insurance to produce them, killed it. Like happens to most things that are
          Cool and neat .

          I've been toying around with a simple way to make a cockpit pod,
          Using a 4 x 8 sheet of shower wall thin guage plastic rolling it into a
          large cone , cut the point off the nose and shaping a blunt nose cone in
          foam that plugs the hole . Once the seat area is cut out it produces
          "sides" that are easy to shape . And A hot Air gun lets you form it even
          more in tight areas .
          I havent done this on a full size piece yet, Just in scale using
          construction paper for now to get the look I want so I can lay out a full
          size one. But I do have some scraps of the plastic that I have hand heat
          formed for other projects around the house.

          --- In Airchairgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Jones" <nick.jones@...> wrote:

          > That looks EXACTLY like the Hangbuggy
          > Nick Jones
        • george_rf
          Message 5 of 6 , Aug 3, 2011

            You sound like you discovered some great conspiracy.
            The pod has a dual function as its written right in the initial project description
            The website is on a new domain
            http://curedcomposites.com/
            the production tooling is in the final stage of completion and the new machine from the production tooling is being built, it just takes time.
            The pod as seen in the pic is 22 lbs

            Message 6 of 6 , Aug 4, 2011

              My post does certainly sound like that – I sent it while still feeling surprised … and without much thought or editing. After the hangbuggy group went silent for a year and the website went down I had assumed the worst - that another cool project had died for whatever reason. It’s great that the project is alive and well. No offense intended.

              22lbs is very encouraging.

              Nick Jones