Re: about airfoils and wing structure

  • mav
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 2, 2011
      Thanks Gary for the tip about the Lazair groups. Jiri, I don't know any thing about Tedlar apart that it was questionable.

      I'm pretty sure the bright star odyssey used Mylar film and was strong. In the manual, it said to use the heat from a concrete slab and the sun to tighten the covering and to set the wash out, using wood blocks under the last rib and a sheet of black plastic over the top to heat it all up.

      "Impact building is slowed down - had some crysis problems and changed occupation."

      I understand Jiri, times are getting tough all-round, I too am in the process of a career change which is some what stalled due to lack of options. Any how.

      Cheers
      Marc

      --- In Airchairgroup@yahoogroups.com, "gypsyinvader" <garrywarber@...> wrote:

      > I don't know if someone has posted this yet, but I will anyway... There are two fine yahoo groups on Lazair that have info and links to everything Lazair. One is "Lazair" and the other is "Lazairflyers". Putting that in group search should produce a "hey-presto" hookup, I expect. I joined for their expertice with Tedlar, but they are just fine all-round groups to be a member in. Very interesting.
      > Garry
      >
      > --- In Airchairgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Jirka" <blue.kid@> wrote:
      > Hi Marc,
      > thanks for comment about Lazair. I see one problem its wing cover - Tedlar. My friend is owner of Falcon canard that is using it and almost same wing structure too. His comment about Tedlar is that it is sensitive for manipulation - he had often repair its surface straightness by hot air pistol - so could be it replaced by something other ? I´ve collected more documents about Lazair, but haven´t good photos of wing building and info about used materials :-( I will build microlight with friend to test foil and wing structure, when get all materials and needs. Impact building is slowed down - had some crysis problems and changed occupation.
      > Regards,
      > Jiri

    • Jirka
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 2, 2011
        I made new folder named "Materials" in files area and moved files with info about Alloys and added file about Tedlar. Tedlar was next step after Mylar - Tedlar solved problem of shorter life of Mylar on UV rays.

        Next are two links to good Lazair pages :-)

        http://ereksonfamily.org/lazair/
        http://www.lazair.com/

        Regards,
        Jiri

        --- In Airchairgroup@yahoogroups.com, "mav" <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Gary for the tip about the Lazair groups. Jiri, I don't know any thing about Tedlar apart that it was questionable.
        >
        > I'm pretty sure the bright star odyssey used Mylar film and was strong. In the manual, it said to use the heat from a concrete slab and the sun to tighten the covering and to set the wash out, using wood blocks under the last rib and a sheet of black plastic over the top to heat it all up.
        >
        > "Impact building is slowed down - had some crysis problems and changed occupation."
        >
        > I understand Jiri, times are getting tough all-round, I too am in the process of a career change which is some what stalled due to lack of options. Any how.
        >
        > Cheers
        > Marc

        In Airchairgroup@yahoogroups.com, "gypsyinvader" <garrywarber@> wrote:

        > I don't know if someone has posted this yet, but I will anyway... There are two fine yahoo groups on Lazair that have info and links to everything Lazair. One is "Lazair" and the other is "Lazairflyers". Putting that in group search should produce a "hey-presto" hookup, I expect. I joined for their expertice with Tedlar, but they are just fine all-round groups to be a member in. Very interesting.
        > > Garry
        > >
        > --- In Airchairgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Jirka" <blue.kid@> wrote:
        > Hi Marc,
        > thanks for comment about Lazair. I see one problem its wing cover - Tedlar. My friend is owner of Falcon canard that is using it and almost same wing structure too. His comment about Tedlar is that it is sensitive for manipulation - he had often repair its surface straightness by hot air pistol - so could be it replaced by something other ? I´ve collected more documents about Lazair, but haven´t good photos of wing building and info about used materials :-( I will build microlight with friend to test foil and wing structure, when get all materials and needs. Impact building is slowed down - had some crysis problems and changed occupation.
        > Regards,
        > Jiri
      • Nick Jones
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 3, 2011

          There is a company that has adapted the covering material and techniques used for model aircraft to full-size airframes.

          They offer a variety of fabric weights for applications from ultralights to heavier “light sport –type” aircraft.

          The main advantages are: a) it’s pre-finished – saves TONS of time and painting and b) it’s lighter since no paint is needed.  It irons on using a heat-activated adhesive – so there’s no rush after applying adhesive to apply the fabric. The spec’s say it’s UV resistant (but I couldn’t find info on the UV exposure it’s rated for).

          Might save some time and a few pounds for someone … not sure of the cost.

          I have downloaded the datasheet to the files section in the “materials” folder.

          Nick Jones

          IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential or legally privileged and is intended to be disclosed only to the addressee(s). If you received this message in error or are not the intended recipient, you should destroy the e-mail message and any attachments or copies, and you are prohibited from retaining, distributing disclosing or using any information contained herein.  Please inform me of an erroneous delivery by return e-mail.

        • Jirka
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 3, 2011
            Hello Nick,

            You probably mean some type of film like Oratex UL600.
            http://www.oracover.de/

            Could You let us know more about that You mean ?

            Regards,
            Jiri