Re: [Airchairgroup] Re: G4 FLYING........AGAIN!

  • Pieter du Toit
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 1, 2010
      Good day.

      Yes my G4 can fly really slow. I aim to fly at about 25mph, below that the ailerons are a bit sluggish. My wing is not really bigger than the drawings stipulate, I just made a stuff-up with aileron measurement, so now I have the 1-foot gap between the ailerons and flaps. I will probably only rectify it when I need to re-dacron the wings. My main aim for this year will be to reduce drag, by re-covering the cabanes and fitting flap gap-covers. I got a second-hand Airotec Favorite for a very good price this weekend, can't wait to go out and test it.

      Thank you for all the replies, much appreciated.

      Kind regards
      Pieter

      2010/7/30 ¹Î¼® <ms7525@...>

      Hi Pieter,
      I'm reading the airspeed indicator in your latest video (the video I found by search for "G4 crosswind video"). By also looking at at the Hall windmeter website I was able to read the calibrations on the meter. Your airspeed readings look to me to be from a low of 20 mph. up to a high of 30 mph., nice and slow! I believe your wing is bigger than mine so you might be flying slower.

      Of course I always want to see more! How about tilting the camera down for a rudder pedal and ground view?

      Mike Sandlin...San Diego California

      --- In Airchairgroup@yahoogroups.com, "ph_dutoit" <pieterhdutoit@...> wrote:

      > Good day all.
      >
      > Did some G4 flying again on saturday, what a blast. Went up to about 300ft, had one heck of a crosswind. The Goat is really sensitive to wind direction, at one stage I had a gentle tailwind during take-off, and the climb-out deteriorated noticably.
      >
      > BTW I dont have a vario, does anyone have tips on thermalling without one? Or maybe a site where I can get diagrams to build one?
      >
      > Kind regards
      > Pieter du Toit

    • Bruce C. Anderson
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 2, 2010
        Howdy

        Goats and the SG-38 look similar. I haven't looked real close, but is
        there a substantial difference between them?

        --
        See Ya

        Have Lots of FUN

        Bruce

        "I've given up on the truth. Now, I only strive for Plausibility"

        0.0000001

        This Email was produced using 100% recycled electrons.
      • red
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 2, 2010
          Bruce,

          In the USA, to fly with no license, with an unlicensed glider, FAA
          FAR Part 103 requires an empty weight of less than 155 pounds (~70kg). Over
          that weight limit, you will need an FAA pilot's license (suitable for that
          aircraft), and a tail number. Most states impose yearly property taxes on
          aircraft with tail numbers.

          The basic design of the SG-38 may be similar to the AirChairs, but
          the empty weight of the SG-38 will make for a HUGE difference, in red tape.
          Besides the weight, I would doubt that you can transport an SG-38 on a
          car-top, realistically. Mike Sandlin's AirChairs are car-top transportable.

          Cheers,
          Red

          Goats and the SG-38 look similar. I haven't looked real close, but is
          there a substantial difference between them?
          Bruce
        • KARL SCHMIDT
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 3, 2010
            this is tech development 1930-35?? to 2010?
            You can not compair them.
            But it is its grand grand father