Re: Effects of wing loading

  • ¹Î¼®
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2010
      It's true that wing loading, even in ultralights, sometimes doesn't matter much. If you takeoff by aerotow and fly only in good lift, you can fly a little faster and make wider turns with no discouraging penalties. Glide performance, stability, and control will not be reduced by flying faster, and may in some ways even be improved (better headwind pennetration, for instance).
      The problem is that in light conditions or during critical takeoff and landing situations, the need to fly even just a little bit faster becomes a serious handicap. A glider that cannot slow down and turn tight will not stay in the air with the others in light conditions, and will be unsatisfying. If it always needs an extra strong wind to launch off a hill with a good margin of confidence, then it will be impractical for roll launching. If it can't slow down enough to land gently on rough ground or in bushes, it will be under repair too much of the time or will be limited as to where it can fly.
      For hang gliding, the guideline I accepted was "fly the biggest wing you can handle". The hang glider wing loadings (about 1.7 lbs. of gross weight for every square foot of wing area) have been relatively constant in recent decades, despite many attempts to fly heavier. I accept this as an evolutionary answer to what a good upper end wing loading might be for a pilot flying in the open. Wing loading is fate.

      Mike Sandlin.....San Diego California

    • xrestosholter@rocketmail.com
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2010
        Got the reasons - thanks!

        I will look at the math and make some decisions as to size / strength / spacing.

        Good information.

        Rob H