Re: [Airchairgroup] Re: Red Bull fun

  • Scott Perkins
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
      Hey Koen-
      This is really great stuff! since you are in Belgium as are they,
      perhaps
      you can get some higher resolution improved photos from them.

      Just to pass on some observations.....

      I think their CG was too far rearward as their plane seemed to stall and
      fall backward
      immediately after takeoff. see photos attached.

      If they started 10 meters above the water and achieved 27 meters
      horizontal
      that gives a 2.7 - 1 glide ratio. I think if they were not stalling
      they
      could stretch to maybe 40 meters for a 4 - 1 ratio.

      attached are the launch images in sequence. See if you agree.
      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

      Koen Van de Kerckhove wrote:
      See the Belgian project at:
      http://membres.lycos.fr/socorrito/sanacavoler/

      about launching speed. I saw a picture of the last Red Bull Flugtag
      winners in Belgium. They had a genius launching system. Just take a
      rope. Put at the end a sitting plate for two persons. Connect the
      rope to the glider at one end. Place two persons on the sitting
      plate at the other end. But ... let them hang over the edge of the
      ramp. So, when the glider is released, the two slide downwards ...
      into the water. But they are making the speed for the glider to take
      off. Ramp is 10 m high. Take off run of glider should be the same.
      How fast will the glider go in that 10 m? I guess that engineer
      students can calculate that.
      A unexpected advantage of the system: the heaviest student will
      prove the advantage of his weight. ;^) (just joking).
    • Steve Corbin
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
        This birdman rally thing has got my gears a`turnin....I remember some years ago there was a"contest"at Torrey Pines where the participants were given a box of various materials,mostly balsa I think,And they had an amount of time,probably an hour,to design,build,and fly an R/C glider.    And so now I`m thinking along those lines about how much fun a birdman rally set up like that could be,with an increased time allotment of course,say 24 hours.    Getting the backing shouldn`t be too much of a problem so long as the proceeds go to charity,and the event is held in an area heavily dependent on tourism. I`m thinking here of my ex-hometown,Branson,Missouri. There`s a big lake there and I recall from my Hobie Cat ( and Hobie Hawk) days that the summertime winds are usually pretty light. There`s plenty of businesses there that would love to see their banner fluttering from the big houseboat that could be used as a launch platform. Speaking of houseboats the event could be called "The Samuel P. Langley Birdman Rally" and exta credit could be given to contestants using a tandem wing configuration,and the entry wouldn`t even have to fly!
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2004
          Hallo Steve,

          man, if you really can start a Birdman Rally in your area, you will
          be close to a dream for many. Organising it will be hard.
          Because ... who wants to jump in the air and fall 10 m. Euh ... I
          don't. I know I want to glide. Falling ... hurts. :(
          But, if you give a price for the best dressed jumper and the most
          original entry, you probably will get people making a effort to
          compete. If you read the history of the Birdman Rallies, you will
          see that it started the same way. And... I would advise to contact
          the local technical schools and universities to compete and have a
          exchange cup. Such a thing will be a "got to have" for a serious
          school. I am sure these schools will come up with the most serious
          designs. Just make sure they compete only for the longest flight.
          Steve, you probably will have to announce this kind of contest a
          long time in advance. Give them time to think if they want to join,
          time to design and time to build. Let's say, first edition in 2006?

          You mention a contest of 24 hour building. Hmmm, might be a problem.
          Contenders will spy each other and copy the best looking design of
          hte first hours. And ... what materials will they get? Will they
          know the materials in advance, so they can do the design part in the
          school?

          Try to place the ramp so it looks into the most common wind
          direction of hte place. You are a glider enthousiast, that gives us
          more confidence that you will keep that part in mind. And, if
          possible, make the landingzone in a not so deep water. Or ... would
          that give problems with the jumpers without decent wings?

          All thoughts in a nut ... from a nut, I guess. ;^)

          --- In Airchairgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Corbin"
          <crash_corbin@e...> wrote:
          > This birdman rally thing has got my gears a`turnin....I remember
          some years ago there was a"contest"at Torrey Pines where the
          participants were given a box of various materials,mostly balsa I
          think,And they had an amount of time,probably an hour,to
          design,build,and fly an R/C glider. And so now I`m thinking along
          those lines about how much fun a birdman rally set up like that
          could be,with an increased time allotment of course,say 24 hours.
          Getting the backing shouldn`t be too much of a problem so long as
          the proceeds go to charity,and the event is held in an area heavily
          dependent on tourism. I`m thinking here of my ex-
          hometown,Branson,Missouri. There`s a big lake there and I recall
          from my Hobie Cat ( and Hobie Hawk) days that the summertime winds
          are usually pretty light. There`s plenty of businesses there that
          would love to see their banner fluttering from the big houseboat
          that could be used as a launch platform. Speaking of houseboats the
          event could be called "The Samuel P. Langley Birdman Rally" and exta
          credit could be given to contestants using a tandem wing
          configuration,and the entry wouldn`t even have to fly!

          of Service.