Re: Kasperwing to airchair?

  • GeoB
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 1, 2009
      > Only the wingtips of KasperWings had a reflexed airfoil.

      Mine are reflexed the entire length of the wing.
    • red
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 1, 2009
        GeoB,

        Yeah, looks like that is so, on the powered ultralight. IIRC,
        the BKB-1 and the "hang glider" version had reflex only near the tips.
        --
        Cheers,
        Red

      • yelodwg
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 1, 2009
          I have to admit, I do not know what a "reflex" wing is?

          Tom
        • David Lynch
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 1, 2009
            Reflex is the upward curving of the trailing edge of the wing.

            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 1, 2009
              I have always understood reflex was used to stabilize a wing.

              The upward curving is used to create a pressure that is opposing another pressure.

              It was explained to me like this.

              Go to a door and grab the handle. Try to close the door very smoothly and not bang the door on the frame.

              Next repeat the process but this time use your other hand to push on the door while pulling on the handle.

              Close the door again. It should be much easier to close it gently.

              Of course unless you had a few beers.

              KarlS

              This also works if you are trying to leave your bedroom and close the door and not wake your wife so you can send group e mails in the middle of the night.

              Remember reflex. Two hands.

              --- In Airchairgroup@yahoogroups.com, David Lynch <jjake1957@...> wrote:

              > Reflex is the upward curving of the trailing edge of the wing.

            • yelodwg
              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 1, 2009
                Thanks guys, that has been driving me crazy!

                BTW, the bathroom door thing, I do that all the time, when I'm trying to let my wife sleep ;-)

                Tom
              • sportcfi
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 2, 2009
                  Reflex in the camber of the airfoil, is used to taylor the stability of an airfoil by changing the pitching moment. (Cm) Here is a good link that explains how it works, if anyone is interested.

                  http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/flywing1.htm