Re: Rough LZ, was - Winch towing and comparing sailplanes to a Goat

  • yelodwg
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 1, 2009
      Red and Dan,

      All interesting! How would you rate the safety of static vs. payout winch towing?

      Tom
    • red
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 1, 2009
        Tom,

        With an airchair, I doubt there would be much difference,
        because both would start with the tow-line laid out, to some given
        length. The experience present would be much more of a factor, for
        safety. Five people with zero towing experience will be greatly
        exceeded by one person, with good experience.

        Given a reasonably experienced driver, I think the advantage
        goes to the payout winch, not so much in safety, but clearly in altitude
        potential. Your success and safety record will depend a lot on having
        that experienced towing vehicle driver. A good communications system
        (from pilot to observer to driver) is essential. Even linked
        cell-phones would be better than nothing.

        Experience is contagious. Tow with experienced towing people at
        first, and rather soon, you will have the benefits of much of their
        knowledge, even later, without them. :-)

        --
        Cheers,
        Red

      • armstronghagen@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 1, 2009
          Tom,
          I think that Red has the right of it. It's all good, if done correctly.
          Dan

          --- In Airchairgroup@yahoogroups.com, "red" <red@...> wrote:

          > Tom,
          >
          > With an airchair, I doubt there would be much difference,
          > because both would start with the tow-line laid out, to some given
          > length. The experience present would be much more of a factor, for
          > safety. Five people with zero towing experience will be greatly
          > exceeded by one person, with good experience.
          >
          > Given a reasonably experienced driver, I think the advantage
          > goes to the payout winch, not so much in safety, but clearly in altitude
          > potential. Your success and safety record will depend a lot on having
          > that experienced towing vehicle driver. A good communications system
          > (from pilot to observer to driver) is essential. Even linked
          > cell-phones would be better than nothing.
          >
          > Experience is contagious. Tow with experienced towing people at
          > first, and rather soon, you will have the benefits of much of their
          > knowledge, even later, without them. :-)
          >
          > --
          > Cheers,
          > Red
          > ************************

        • yelodwg
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 3, 2009
            Thanks Red and Dan. I now know a lot more about towing!

            Dan, any airchairs flying out of Tehachapi?

            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 4, 2009
              Tom,

              The airport manager has let us ground tow very early in the day or after all other aircraft are down during the ESA Workshop in years past. Many of the airchairs discussed here have flown at one time or another, but none are based here.

              In the local area there is a group of guys from Scaled Composites who built a modified Goat that looks very nice. Their picture is on the home page of this group. Jeff Byard has an older Slingsby Grasshopper primary glider that we've flown a fair amount. It has much worse performance than the Goat due to its heavy weight and very draggy airframe. It is still fun to fly.

              I believe that the PIG will be here for the Western Workshop this fall. There are many vintage gliders in flying condition or as projects that will be on display during the workshop.

              Dan

              --- In Airchairgroup@yahoogroups.com, "yelodwg" <yelodwg@...> wrote:

              > Thanks Red and Dan. I now know a lot more about towing!
              >
              > Dan, any airchairs flying out of Tehachapi?
              >
              > Tom

            • yelodwg
              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 5, 2009
                Thanks Dan,

                I would like to get down there after I complete my Goat.

                Tom