Pig Drawings Posted

  • ms7525
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 6, 2009
      Technical drawings for my current airchair design, the Pig, have been posted at my website, "Basic Ultralight Glider". The downloadable file
      has the drawings only in .tcw (Turbocad), but downloads in other formats may become available.

      Thanks for all the support and suggestions received from the Airchair Group.

      Mike Sandlin....San Diego California
    • rexnstudio@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 6, 2009
        Congratulations Mike and thank you for sharing your hard work.

        Many Thermals,
        Rex

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 6, 2009
          I second Rex, and I hope your computer dosn't fry or explode with the demand it's surly gettin'!
          Garry

          --- In Airchairgroup@yahoogroups.com, rexnstudio@... wrote:

          > Congratulations Mike and thank you for sharing your hard work.
          >
          > Many Thermals,
          > Rex

        • AUGUST HAHN
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 6, 2009
            Congratulations Mike,is there more then one Turbo cad ?

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 7, 2009
              This is fantastic, Mike. As usual I am absolutely flabbergasted by the quality, detail and clarity of your documentation.

              One note...in the "Drawings for Online Viewing" section, drawing P1T14 "Lower Tail Booms" is repeated in the wing subsection where you meant to put drawing P1W14 "Lower Wing Inboard Frame Assembly."

              Really, this is incredible, inspirational stuff.

              Cheers,

              Matthew
            • Michel
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 7, 2009
                Thank you for drawings.

                What or who is 'Beamboy (beam analysis)' ?
                Are the beam analysis available?

                Michel

                --- In Airchairgroup@yahoogroups.com, "ms7525" <ms7525@...> wrote:

                > Technical drawings for my current airchair design, the Pig, have been posted at my website, "Basic Ultralight Glider". The downloadable file
                > has the drawings only in .tcw (Turbocad), but downloads in other formats may become available.
                >
                > Thanks for all the support and suggestions received from the Airchair Group.
                >
                > Mike Sandlin....San Diego California

              • Zeki Eser
                Message 7 of 15 , May 23, 2009

                Mike,

                I’m a hangglider pilot for 14 years and think that it’s time to promote airchair. I worked on your Goat 1 plans for many hours. Nowadays I’m about to give order for aluminum tubes.

                I have a question about wing outboard forward spar tubes. On G1W1 page the dimensions of the tubes are 2 x .035 x 138-1/2 and 2 x .035 x 69. Inner sleeves outside diameter is 1-7/8. When I calculate the space between main tube and inner sleeve, it comes .055 in. But many of the other parts have a space of .027 in between tube and the sleeve. Also when I check aircraft materials websites, there is no 6061 T6 tube 2 x .035. They have 2 x .049. Can I use 2 x .049 tube for forward spar tube and 1-3/4 x .049 for rear spar tube?

                I built a prototype wing rib from 4 cm thick styrofoam epoxied 3 mm poplar plywood both sides and sawed as the size. It weighs about 300 gr. I decide to attach them to the tubes with polyester threads like you explain on page G1S8. If you have any advice about the ribs that I made, please let me know.

                I hope to build my Goat this year and be the first airchair in Turkey.

                Regards,

                Zeki

                Windows Live tüm arkadaşlarınızla tek bir yerden iletişim kurmanıza yardımcı olur.
              • semihoksay@ttmail.com
                Message 8 of 15 , May 23, 2009
                  Zeki

                  You can use Ocume marine ply instead of Poplar ply. It is Lloyd
                  certified and available in Turkey. I Used it in ply/spruce ribs and it
                  works beautifully. The reason I am writing this in english is for the
                  group. If you like, contact me separately thru my personal e-mail. We
                  are also about to build a primary glider (old fashioned airchair). You
                  may need more info about other materials. I also studied Mike's plans
                  thoroughly so I am highly familiar with them. I even converted some of
                  them to metric.

                  The trouble is: I have access to hih quality aluminum. Unfortunately,
                  thin wall 6061 T6 (which is a very old alloy) is not available in Turkey.

                  I am also one of the founders of DHD (Deneysel Havacilar Dernegi)
                  Experimental Aviators Club in english.

                  Please do not hesitate to contact me for any questions you might have
                  about building what you have mentioned.

                  my e-mail: semihoksay@...

                  Regards

                  Semih

                  Zeki Eser wrote:
                  > [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from Zeki Eser included below]
                  >

                  > Mike,
                  >

                  > I’m a hangglider pilot for 14 years and think that it’s time to
                  > promote airchair. I worked on your Goat 1 plans for many hours.
                  > Nowadays I’m about to give order for aluminum tubes.
                  >

                  > I have a question about wing outboard forward spar tubes. On G1W1 page
                  > the dimensions of the tubes are 2 x .035 x 138-1/2 and 2 x .035 x 69.
                  > Inner sleeves outside diameter is 1-7/8. When I calculate the space
                  > between main tube and inner sleeve, it comes .055 in. But many of the
                  > other parts have a space of .027 in between tube and the sleeve. Also
                  > when I check aircraft materials websites, there is no 6061 T6 tube 2 x
                  > .035. They have 2 x .049. Can I use 2 x .049 tube for forward spar
                  > tube and 1-3/4 x .049 for rear spar tube?
                  >

                  > I built a prototype wing rib from 4 cm thick styrofoam epoxied 3 mm
                  > poplar plywood both sides and sawed as the size. It weighs about 300
                  > gr. I decide to attach them to the tubes with polyester threads like
                  > you explain on page G1S8. If you have any advice about the ribs that I
                  > made, please let me know.
                  >
                  > I hope to build my Goat this year and be the first airchair in Turkey.
                  >

                  > Regards,
                  >

                  > Zeki

                  > Windows Live tüm arkadaşlarınızla tek bir yerden iletişim kurmanıza
                  > yardımcı olur.
                  > <http://www.microsoft.com/turkiye/windows/windowslive/products/social-network-connector.aspx>
                  >

                  > __________ NOD32 4098 (20090522) Bilgi __________
                  >
                  > Bu mesaj NOD32 Antivirüs Sistemi tarafından kontrol edilmiştir.
                  > http://www.nod32.com.tr
                • scottperkinsusa
                  Message 9 of 15 , May 25, 2009
                    Zeki-
                    I looked at your rib and it shows very nice work but
                    I think the rib would be much stronger if you glued
                    the plywood around the top and bottom instead of on
                    the sides. Maybe you could glue plywood on the sides
                    just on the verticle truss members. Good luck to
                    you in Turkey!
                    Scott

                    Message 10 of 15 , May 27, 2009
                    Scott,

                    I will built one rib with the way you explain and then will check which one is stronger. Than you.

                    Attached, you will find my another R&D product :)

                    Zeki

                    To: Airchairgroup@yahoogroups.com
                    From: 2scott@...
                    Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 15:02:00 +0000
                    Subject: [Airchairgroup] Re: Goat 1

                    Zeki-
                    I looked at your rib and it shows very nice work but
                    I think the rib would be much stronger if you glued
                    the plywood around the top and bottom instead of on
                    the sides. Maybe you could glue plywood on the sides
                    just on the verticle truss members. Good luck to
                    you in Turkey!
                    Scott

                    --- In Airchairgroup@ yahoogroups. com, Zeki Eser <zeki.eser@. ..> wrote:
                    > Mike,
                    >
                    > I'm a hangglider pilot for 14 years and think that it's time to promote airchair. I worked on your Goat 1 plans for many hours. Nowadays I'm about to give order for aluminum tubes.
                    >
                    > I have a question about wing outboard forward spar tubes. On G1W1 page the dimensions of the tubes are 2 x .035 x 138-1/2 and 2 x .035 x 69. Inner sleeves outside diameter is 1-7/8. When I calculate the space between main tube and inner sleeve, it comes .055 in. But many of the other parts have a space of .027 in between tube and the sleeve. Also when I check aircraft materials websites, there is no 6061 T6 tube 2 x .035. They have 2 x .049. Can I use 2 x .049 tube for forward spar tube and 1-3/4 x .049 for rear spar tube?
                    >
                    > I built a prototype wing rib from 4 cm thick styrofoam epoxied 3 mm poplar plywood both sides and sawed as the size. It weighs about 300 gr. I decide to attach them to the tubes with polyester threads like you explain on page G1S8. If you have any advice about the ribs that I made, please let me know.
                    > I hope to build my Goat this year and be the first airchair in Turkey.

                    Teker teker mi, yoksa hepsi birden mi? Arkadaşlarınızla ilgili güncel bilgileri tek bir yerden edinin.
                  • Scott Perkins
                    Message 11 of 15 , May 27, 2009
                    I like your new wood strip rib but I think you need to add small
                    triangle support braces to the insides of the wood strips.
                    OR
                    you oculd run the woodstrips to the middle and place the small
                    wood triangle supports on both sides.

                    see the attached pics for idea. These pics from Ritz Std wing
                    which also uses wood strips like your ribs in geodedic fashion.
                    Scott

                    Message 12 of 15 , May 27, 2009
                      Just think about wing spars. The strong material is placed in the SPAR
                      CAPS
                      not along the side. Same with ribs. The strong material becomes RIB
                      CAPS
                      on the outside and not on the side. Test them for weight and for
                      strength
                      by suspending the ribs upside down from their spar locations and put
                      weight on the ribs until they fail. Be aware that you may have some
                      structure that will hold the ribs in place to keep movement restricted
                      to vertical instead of side to side in your tests.
                      Scott

                      Zeki Eser wrote:
                      > from Zeki Eser included
                      > >
                      > Scott,
                      >
                      > I will built one rib with the way you explain and then will check
                      > which one is stronger. Than you.
                      >
                      > Attached, you will find my another R&D product :)
                      >
                      > Zeki

                    • daduhon55
                      Message 13 of 15 , Sep 6, 2010
                        I would like to ask Mike Sandlin about how many hrs building time is involved in the Goat 1 project,just a rough estimate please. And what is an approximate building cost,also just a rough guess please. I don't expect exact figures,just a guess would be welcome if you have time to answer. Thank you , Dan Duhon
                      • Alexander
                        Message 14 of 15 , Sep 6, 2010
                          Yeah, the info is tricky to find ;-)

                          http://m-sandlin.info/questionandanswer/qa1.html#10
                          10. "... how long it might take one (me!) who is a first-time aircraft builder but handy with tools to build one?"
                          Answer: I can build a glider in five or six months. It can no doubt be done faster or slower.

                          http://m-sandlin.info/questionandanswer/qa1.html#8
                          8. "Do you have a ... cost, using new materials?"
                          Answer: I do not have an exact cost estimate for the Bug or Goat. It was reported that a Bug4-like glider was built in Utah for just under $3k, and materials for a Goat-like glider should cost about the same.
                          The choice of emergency parachute system is the major cost variable for an airchair. It might cost from $300 to $3,000 or more. I could use a used chute, a new one, a new high tech design or an older one, a rocket deployed system or hand thrown, etc. I actually use an ordinary (but old fashioned) hang glider hand deployed parachute, 22 gore round canopy with a standard length bridle, from the low end of the cost scale.

                          --- In Airchairgroup@yahoogroups.com, "daduhon55" <daduhon55@...> wrote:

                          > I would like to ask Mike Sandlin about how many hrs building time is involved in the Goat 1 project,just a rough estimate please. And what is an approximate building cost,also just a rough guess please. I don't expect exact figures,just a guess would be welcome if you have time to answer. Thank you , Dan Duhon

                        • johnklamp
                          Message 15 of 15 , Jul 1, 2015

                            Does anyone on this group have a file on the material list for the goat 1?

                            Much appreciated.

                            john