Liquid air in AWES?

    Message 1 of 47 , Aug 13, 2013
      When and where might liquid air play a role in tethered or untethered AWES either as an energy storing item or as a worker in some other manner?
      Energy storage? Explosive inflation of parts? Coolant? Preserver of foods?   What have we?   This topic thread may be addressed this year or next or at any time.

      Some preliminary study on liquid air might help. On such some links:

    • dougselsam
      Message 47 of 47 , Sep 12, 2013

        Joe

        As a witness to the seldom-seen phenomenon of "Angel Hair" falling from the sky I am onboard with balloon spiders migrating by floating silk strands.  Was this ever in question by anyone, anywhere?  One more time you try and change the subject.  I'm beginning to lose faith in all you guys.  I thought you were a genius but you are sounding more and more just "out to lunch" with every new post.  It is interesting to read your statement that "Kiteboarding is sailing with kite power".  OMG I bother to stop and read that?

        Is that some new revelation?  Could anyone argue with that statement?  I mean why state the obvious over and over?  There's no new information in your post.  I'm trying to figure out what you're really saying.  Sounds like the same old clap-trap:  Kites can pull things through water, you COULD add a propeller and generator, power whatever, blah blah blah.  (if you weren;t busy all day on the internet)

        I'd reply with this:

        If you guys think windsurfing is Airborne Wind Energy in the sense intended here, why not follow through and start covering windsurfing as a serious topic here?  There must be windsurfing news every day, right?

        It seems like you guys just pull this stuff out of your butts when confronted with the fact that nobody is generating a single useful Watt using airborne wind energy and the fact that there is no reason this should be so, except none of us are actually doing anything about it, but instead we sit here on the internet arguing about word definitions.  Oh and all the well-funded teams insist on pursuing misguided efforts that lead nowhere but pulling kite strings.  Wow a kite can pull.  yeah I think I might have noticed that at 5 years old.  We're supposed to get smarter as we get older not stuck at a 5-year-old's mentality for life.

        "Well Doug you are so wrong because technically-speaking, this-or-that mundane and long-known activity COULD be SAID to be a FORM of airborne wind energy."

        Hay you're not grasping a straws or anything are you?

        Wow we have ANOTHER Einstein - an Einstein a day keeps any progress away!

        My response is "Great, according to you, airborne wind energy is a mature art, practiced for thousands of years, so why keep talking about it as though it's new or even interesting?"  Is not a spinnaker a flying sail?  Why don't you guys devote a lot of time discussing spinnakers?  I mean, technically-speaking, they COULD be SAID to be AWE, right?  And isn't that all that seems to matter according to your posts?  Words?  Isn;t that all we're talking about here, empty words masquerading as progress?

        I've got a couple more GREAT EXCUSES for you guys:

        1) Existing sailplanes already practice airborne wind energy - they use the energy of the wind in the sky to glide around.

        2) Flying kites IS airborne wind energy since it takes energy to keep a kite aloft and that energy is provided by the wind and it takes place supported by the air.

        So there you go - all we have to do is keep redefining words and we can find more and more instances of AWE being thousands of years old.  I guess  we don;t need to build anything since AWE is such an old ann established art by our ever-evolving suite of new word definitions.  Are you guys sure you don;t work for the government?  I mean this is getting pretty illogical.  Word definitions - maybe you should work on writing dictionaries instead of pursuing scientific progress and new engineering.

        My further response is if someone is going to do wind energy in the sky it will need to go beyond arguing about word definitions to try and qualify simple boring 1000-year-old activities as the sought-after breakthrough.

        --- In AirborneWindEnergy@yahoogroups.com, <airbornewindenergy@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Kiteboarding is sailing with kite power. Body-dragging with body as the paravane (water kite) is kite sailing Tens of thousands of trips using kite sailing in tiny-to-nil-sized "hull" are made each day on earth ... and the count is rising. Even these systems have the option of adding hydro turbines in the system to charge electrical batteries. The option of adding flygen or also solar-energy-conversion surfaces to the wing set is present. And for specified long-distance travel all such system parts may be tweaked to provide energy to feed warming, electrically dependent instruments and tools, visibility signalling, potable-water machines, and more. Such tiny world is not the most tiny available for kite systems that convert the upper winds gifts to task achievements. Ask the spiders that kite-sail across oceans.  .