Re: [AWES] Re: NASA Technology Transfer Opportunity:

  • Rod Read
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 27, 2013
      Vision technology can be incorporated into kite control.
      Interestingly it is described as pre-beta. How far can it go?
      The video shows a webcam ... is that the vision system?

      Is this a concept demo only?
      What resolution, tracking speed and accuracy does it achieve?
      Has it proven to be enough for primary control sensing of a single kite?

      If so...To be more useful to the larger ground effect "Mothra" style arch or mesh kites...

      Can it be reassigned to analyse a single kixel (kite unit in a kite mesh) or a kixel area.
      Certainly the kixel patches could be (colour..) coded to make area identity easy.

      Can the vision component be arrayed / aggregated to provide higher overall position resolution of huge kites?

      An arduinho with a kinnect 3d head image can already be analysed in grasshopper and interpreted to control parametric response of tracker tables and kite lines. Sure as an Open Source software solution will be available to link multiple "eyes"

      How much better than that can the NASA tech be?

      Rod Read

      Windswept and Interesting Limited
      15a Aiginis
      Isle of Lewis
      HS2 0PB

      07899057227
      01851 870878

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 29, 2013
        I think the first application of it should be to control a sailboat.
        The power can be produced by either an onboard underwater propeller or by reeling the mooring line in and out from shore.

        That applies the two most popular AWE design directions to existing offshore wind energy, a known art, that uses a rotor. In this context one can judge and compare the relative efficiencies and appropriateness of the 3 technologies: crosswind-craft-with-onboard-propeller, reeling a mooring line in-and-out, or using a spinning rotor with blades.
        :)
        Doug S.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 30, 2013
          I thought of a new use for NASA's new camera-monitoring of fluid-borne craft (such as a crosswind-traveling moored sailboat): Measure the foreshortening of a sailboat mast as it approaches the horizon. By comparing the apparent height with the distance traveled, NASA could prove the Earth is round. Yes, yes this was already done hundreds of years ago, as we learned in 3rd grade,
          but:
          1) That fact that something has been done for hundreds of years doesn't stop most wind energy "researchers" from claiming it as a new idea and pursuing it;
          2) It has never been done automatically using a CCD camera and a computer.
          3) It doesn't produce any power, which fits perfectly with most supposed-AWE research agendas.
          :)
          Doug S.