Windless Kites //Re: [AWES] Re: Climbing Kites in Calm CKC

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 21, 2013
      "Windless Kites" has replaced "Indoor Kites" as the preferred usage (in conversation with John Barresi). JoeF discovered this subject via step-towed gliders, and the fusion of the two cultures is happening on the Forum.

      The modern art-sport of Windless Kites is growing rapidly. Brooks can confirm that in Austin, at school assemblies and raves starting in the late 80s, we flew advanced flying wings as kiteplanes on tethers from bamboo poles. It would be nice if anyone can document older instances of Windless Kites. Now there are Windless Kite Festivals popping up everywhere.

      何辅钢 is a fine windless kiteplane pilot, and his deft use of a sort of fighter-style reel seems original to him. Lets hope we soon learn more about his story.

      KiteLab Ilwaco View- With regard to AWE, we found the Windless Kite principle to be the same as step-towed human gliders. Its a TRL-9 kite model fully validated as a launching, sustained flight, and landing method for small AWES. It will be a challenge to automate flight to the skill level of human masters.

    • joe_f_90032
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 10, 2013

        For ages phased tugging of kite systems have increased the total energy of the kite system to maintain the wings into flight when wind becomes insufficient for flight.  We have had various terms for  the input process, the increase of kinetic and potential energy caused by phased tugging or reverse pumping.   At conference a research is using these terms:

        reverse pumping of kite systems

        kinetic-charge phase

        potential transfer phase

        kite-system total energy