Hot-Swap & Hot-Repair of AWES Tethers //Re: [AWES] Tether note: "Snap-proof" space tether

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2013
      The Finnish space-tether work is based on the same principle as AWES multi-line kites being "statistically immune" to runaway.

      For the ultimate in AWES tether reliability, imagine a simple capability to hotswap broken lines, which riggers do as a common practice in sailing and similar situations, but only KiteLab Group seems to envision in AWE. The essential requirement is to have redundant lines able to back-up failed lines. These "extra" lines serve as engineered safety-margin for all peak-load conditions.

      A novel AWES field-capability would be to melt worn or broken kite line, and re-polymerize and braid it into new line, much as many spiders do. This could solve decay problems, like UV damage or micrometeorites hitting space tethers, and many comparable apps. In principle, a line-renewing carriage can restore a worn line by moving along it while maintaining working tension.

      CC BY NC SA

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2013
        Much like the last post... below.
        A Mothra style lifter kite has loadpath arches which are more spaced apart toward their top.
        The concentration of most damage to a tarp kixel unit will be at the eyes... corners and edges.

        If large tarps start their life on top of an arch set,.. after becoming worn a tighter new tarp could be fitted in the start place underneath the old tarp.
        The old tarp may be moved to a new position where it can be re hemmed and punched as a smaller shaped kixel unit.
        Can the cut off scraps be melted and reused in situ?

        As for live design of braiding... check out my brothers website "craft design online"
        He has built an app which alows you to design custom braids in 3d.
        I'll see if I can get him to add net repair and strength analysis function some day.