Wind Turbine Design Basics for AWES Deveopers

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 21, 2013
      The following article covers old basics and interesting new findings from the success of the conventional wind turbine world. There is no mention of a plague-of-liars that Doug claims characterizes the Wind Turbine Design Field.

      Note that gearboxes are no longer seen as a major problem area (in EU-funded reliability studies), but enable cheaper and lighter units, which is consistent with the design needs of small AWES flygens. The Doubly Fed Generator has gained standard acceptance in conventional wind, and likely will also with AWE groundgens.

      Another interesting fact we noted before is that cyclic gravity loading on turbine blade roots, with cumulative fatigue, is the major scaling-law factor that ultimately limits HAWT scaling along current lines. The largest rotors that cope with this are far too massive to fly plausibly, so the conventional wind turbine design basis is a dead-end for large-scale AWE units, but leaves open the possibility of future triumph of wind power by mega-scale AWES based on purely tensile soft-kite principles-

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_turbine_design%c2%a0
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 24, 2013
        No mention of them because nobody pays attention to them. Why would anyone in a serious article about wind energy start talking about all the goofy ideas that don't work? The thing that makes them goofy is that nobody who knows what they're doing would give them a second thought. A plague of liars does NOT characterize the wind turbine design field. They just THINK they do. The real players are too busy to even notice them.
        And of course, as you know very well Dave S., there is really only one significant improvement in wind energy this century, and that is the Superturbine! he he he!