Relay transport

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 22, 2013
      Relay transport of goods and people:
      Drive holder to be fetched by the adjacent system; adjacent system takes hold of the goods; then that new holder drives to meet the next system. Etc.
      Transport goods and people around the earth by using nearly independent kite systems, but enough adjacent to effect transfers.
      This is just one method of transport by kite system.
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 11 11:14 AM
        Direction of moving mass from one kite system to another kite system to another kite system to another kite systems, etc. :
        • Move the mass downwind  from one kite system to another, etc.
        • Move the mass package upwind from one kite system to another, etc.
        • Move the mass package oblique to the wind from one kite system to another.
        Some notes:
        • The collection of kite systems involved might be considered a transport collection.
        • The collection of relay units might be temporarily placed or have stable home bases.
        • A collection of relay units might be few in count with a moving of units forward in the relay effort after a use is made of a unit kite system.
        • A collection of relay units might be with stable home bases surrounding the earth for moving mass packages short distance or very long distances.
        • Home bases for a unit relay working system could be onshore, offshore, or on mobile vehicles.
        • Exchange the mass package without tangles or cuts of wings, lines, or the mass package.
        • Envisioned are collections that are very smart; robotic transfer of the mass package from one unit kite system to the next to the next, etc. ....
        • A collection of relay kite systems might be with fixed anchor positions.
        • A collection of relay kite systems might be with moving anchor positions (trucks, boats, trains, people, cars, etc. )
        • Opportunities for aggregate economies?
        • Uses of line sliding for upwind mass transport exist; long line fetch of mass package from holding kite system....and then lift the mass higher and then let the mass package slide lower on the line in readiness for fetch-transfer by the more upwind kite system.
        • As yet I have not seen in patents much richness in the full relay direction; of course we know delivery of goods to emergency ships at sea, fetching stranded persons from wrecked ship to shore by kite, carrying  water to drop (zero-point "relay"), transferring the wing of one system into entanglement with another system by accident or result of kite fighting....to make one mess in sky for the transfer, ...
        • There is sport kite festival opportunities for mass-transfer events by teams where competing teams each have a one pound mass package; teams of five persons each with a kite system; the first kite system fetches the mass package off the ground or has the mass package sent up line; then that first kite system coordinates with the next of the five kite systems to transfer the mass package from K1 to K2; then K2 to K3; then K3 to K4; then K4 to K5; then the mass package is let down to a target spot either at the anchor of K5 or some ground spot by careful placing or by drop, depending on rules of the game.  There can be cross-wind rules, down-wind rules, upwind rules, or oblique-to-wind rules.  Fouls occur if the package is lost in the relay process. Foul occurs if a line is lost in a cutting; foul occurs if the mass package is injured or a kite system is injured.
        • What practical reasons might there be for mastering small or large or very large kite-based relay systems?
        • ?

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 13 2:23 PM
          Furthering:

          Relaying mass from one kite system to another kite system seems to involve a collection of at least two kite systems.  We leave the fetch-and release of masses to a category of its own and outside the "relay mass" concern.

          "relay" ::  1. An act of passing something along from one person, group, or station to another.
          In tasking of kite system with passing mass along from one kite system to another kite system, we have relaying collections of kite systems. Such collections may consist of two kite systems or more, perhaps 1000 or 10,000 kite systems.  Perhaps circle the earth with a collection of kite systems that may take an initial mass packet and pass that mass packet along through the series of kite systems of the relaying collection to some station in the collection.

          Two types of collections of mass-relaying kite systems:
          Type A: The collection can perform as intended repeatably.
          Type B: The collection can perform a mass relay from start to finish but once.

          How does one load the first kite system with the mass to be relayed?

          How is the final kite system of a relaying collection of kite systems to let go of the mass that had been relayed?

          In Type A collections, look to having the potential of many mass packets being processed aerially at the same time.  Perhaps as soon a a mass packet is released to a next kite system, then that relieved kite system might then go fetch another mass packet.

          In Type B collections, a reset or rework of the involved systems would be needed to make the collection again able to transport mass packets by relay.

          The arts of loading mass packets to the first kite system in a relaying collection of kite systems are varied.    Similarly, the arts of unloading the mass packets from the final kite system of a relaying collection of kite systems are varied.

          The arts of releasing mass packets from one member of the relay collection to the next member of the relay collection vary.
          The arts of receiving and grasping  mass packets from a giving member vary.       In the giving and in the receiving, one will want to avoid loss of the mass packet, to avoid damage to either kite system, and to avoid injury to any element involved in the operations.

          Two-way mass relay?  Have a collection of kite systems that moves mass packets in both directions during the same operating session; some mass packets are seen moving one direction while other mass packets are seen moving in the opposite direction.

          Some pause on reasons for using collections of mass-relaying kite systems:   (all are welcome to report on reasons ... )
          • Transport people from the mainland to Catalina Island by using a buoyed set of kite systems.
          • Move ore from the mine to a processing center without using roads or rails.
          • Move mail from one coast to another.
          • Move people and goods from one island to another.
          • Move tourists about the sky over a nation.
          • ?
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 14 9:06 AM
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 14 9:55 AM
              One method of  release-and-receive:  glide

              Consider a mass packet  M  that is released by K(n) and captured or received by K(n+1).
              Let M be placed into free-glide mode and controlled to glide into the reception port of K(n+1).
              Then fly K(n+1) to some extended position and then release M again to free-flight glide to the
              receiving port of K(n+2).  Continue the pattern.

              Such method keeps tethers and wings from touching or getting too close.

              JoeF
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 14 10:54 AM
                JoeF,

                Good thread- wind powered aerial transport is a whole new realm of opportunity enabled by AWE methods, and its been quite a while since we updated ideas in this space.

                Nice early test applications for kite-transport ideas are in light construction and agriculture. From the start, with only KIS methods, one might do useful work on a human scale.

                Long term, the sky promises to be a far busier place, given abundant distributed wind power and NextGen capabilities. The intermittency problem will only fade by the variety of effective counter-measures (demand balancing, reverse-pumping from surface, altitude potential-energy "storage", regional kinetic energy re-distribution, embedded AUX power).

                Similarity Models-

                -The far-flung airport network and giant shipping hub, WorldPort, sorts millions of packages each day. Its an advanced optimized topological model for a hypothetical wind-driven aerial transport network, with an intuitive mix of automation and human supervision over fixed transport conduits and free-flying vehicles.

                -Intra-Cellular transport proteins that make up cytoskeletons are a rich biomimetic model for a kite-filament based transport system-

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microfilament

                -Pick-and-place robotics are another mature model for an aerial transport system. Grippers are a basic idea, and the robotic "arms" would be endless combinations of guys and tethers. Cableways are the version of conveyors suited for the sky.

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 16 1:54 PM
                  A first challenge:
                      Traverse-to-wind three-kite-system collection for demonstrating relay-of-mass with fetch to start and place to end while fulfilling two cycles.
                  That is, have three kite systems set with fixed anchors collinear and traverse to the wind. {K1, K2, K3}  Have left of K1's downwind line a 3 oz thing T1 on the ground in some manner. Drive K1  to fetch T1.   Drive K1 system in some manner to a release of T1 onto K2.  Drive K2 with T1 to a release onto K3.  Have K3 place T1 to the right of K3's  downwind line.    Have {K1, K2, K3}  remain able to repeat the type of transport; so have a T2 ready and repeat the similar transport.   Take a video of the full transport of T1 and T2.

                  Rules
                  R1: Minimum distance from T1 fetch point to T1 place point:  300 ft or 92 m; the T2 is to be at the same fetch and place points.
                  R2: Not more than three kite pilots are to be involved.
                  R3:    {K1, K2, K3}  is to remain without tangles or cuts after T2 is delivered.
                  R4:  For this challenge T1 and T2 must ever be 100 ft or 31 m  away from the fixed anchor points.
                  Note: "on Ki" means that Ti may be held by the tether set or wing set of Ki.

                  Be the first or second or third in the world to video share such a demonstration of relay of mass packet by collection of fixed-anchor kite systems.  Describe the fetch details, the capture and release details, and the place details.  Describe the details of your effort.  Mechanism? Costs? Wind? Timing?

                  With such capability, the K2 type could be multiplied while increasing  the distance between the fetch-start and finish-place points.  {K1, K2a, K2b, K2c, ..., K2n, K3} .

                  Perhaps wait for some kite festival team to demonstrate or be historically the first ...  or second  ... or third, etc.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 18 10:29 AM
                    A full panoply of mass transport by kite systems will unfold in detail.  Some mass transport arrangements will not be "relay" and some will be relay. Niche service requirements will invite some arrangement over the other.    This present "relay transport" thread  is joined with other discussion threads in the general "mass transport" theme.  In particular, rail, aerial cableway, traction, rise-let-down cyclic cableways in a kind of wave-front sliding, etc. ; and we join http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/AirborneWindEnergy/message/8827  in the mix.

                    The following tech may be joined into kite system tether or wing sets:

                    We reach for video and plans at toy-sport scale for each type of mass-transport-by-kite-systems arrangement.